15274Re: [MPD-5D] Saturday's Marathon Traffic Nightmare

  • Vonetta Dumas
    Mar 18, 2013
      Agreed, thanks for recognizing this was a nightmare. It took me a 1 1/2 half to get to work. Fortunately, I was about to park on 14th and catch Metro. I had to carry a heavy load of towels on the metro along w/ helping my mother who was with me who does not do well w/ long walks. This was 1 1/2 hour from Trinidad and stopping at 14th. Goodness knows how long it would if taken had I had to go all the way to Massachusetts/ 16th like I was advised by officer than seemed to feel helpless.

      I for 1 applaud marathoners and all those participants it was an amazing adventure I'm sure and have heard. Typically, I'm not a complainer I make the best out if uncontrollable situations. So we had many laughs out our adventure in our routes to our destinations.

      On the other hand as a business owner it was very disturbing not to have better detail to inform my guest in advance. We had loss of revenue from cancelled guest and time schedules was completely off track. We pride ourselves in taking guest on time. Thankfully, a team member made t via metro to ensure the VA guest who were able to be serviced in many of our absence.

      Other members of my team were routed from Fort Totten all the way to Woodley Park down through Adams Morgan... Their were no alternative to making a left turn.

      Please don't allow this to ever happen this way again, in events likes these better planning of disseminating information would of been helpful. I could of planned a better route earlier and pre-warned our guest.

      Thanks,
      Vonetta Dumas, 5D02

      Please excuse any misspellings/ odd words. My iPhone thinks it is smarter than I am.

      On Mar 18, 2013, at 6:52 PM, "5D Community Outreach Coordinator" <Fayette.Vaughn-Lee@...> wrote:

      > 5D Community,
      >
      > The event organizers go through a process to have an event of this magnitude approved and permitted. The organizers are required to go before the mayors special events task force. This task force consist of several agencies across the District government, DDOT , DCFEMS and MPD to name a few. The body addresses many different issues and tries to ensure as little impact an event of this size causes to the community and city as a whole. This year we were able to route more of the course through the park vs on city streets. There are many events that are not approved, DDOT analyses the traffic and pedestrian flows throughout the city and weighs in heavily during the approval process. We will ensure that detour routes are more widely disseminated for an event of this size in the future, thanks for bringing this to our attention.
      >
      > MPD

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic