1503Re: Shots Sunday night at around 1:30am

  • kg9665a
    Aug 29, 2006
      I just moved into Ward 5 and I think the people and the neighborhood
      are awesome. However, Sunday night around 9pm my roomates heard
      gunshots out infront of our house (T Street and N.Capitol, NE). When
      they asked what was going on, they were told it was gang related. Is
      there any more information on the shooting? Also, what can I do to
      stay out of gang-related crimes? Are they as violent to non-gang
      members and are we as likely to be shot at as someone they have a
      grudge against?

      New to the group and I hate to bring up the bad stuff first, but I'd
      like to know how to be smart in my new neighborhood and if there is
      anything my roommates and I can participate in to help build our new
      neighborhood into a better place to live.

      Thank you,

      Kate

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Craig, Donald \(MPD\)"
      <Donald.Craig@...> wrote:

      > We (about eight of us) actually went through the area about 1:45 Am
      and stopped two people in the Unit block of O Street N.W. Neither one
      lived in the area but we've seen them before. We didn't find any
      drugs so we checked them for warrants and sent them on the way. They
      did leave because we saw them both walking along Rhode Island Avenue
      about thirty minutes later. We went through the rest of the
      neighborhood but no one was out.

      > When the gunshots went off between 2:30 and 3:00 our units went in.
      No property damage was found and no injuries reported. If anyone did
      have property damage we didn't find please call 311 so that we can
      come out and make a report.

      > A little off the subject but very important. We are having a
      problem with cars being stolen throughout the Fifth Dsitrict. I would
      like to take this opportunity to encourage everyone to call 311 if
      they see any suspicious activity such as someone casing cars or houses.

      > Also you might consider enrolling in the Watch Your Car Program.
      What the deal is, is that you get a decal that you put in the back
      window of your car. This decal gives us permission to stop your car
      during extreme (like 1AM to 5AM) hours of the morning to make sure
      that it isn't stolen. If it's not you driving then we can contact
      you to see if you know who the person is that is driving your car.
      It's pretty decent deterrent to theft and is an excellent tool for us
      to catch car thieves. If you would like more information on this
      program ask your PSA Lt. at your next meeting.

      > That's about it for now. Take care all.
      >
      > Lt. Craig

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic