14577Re: 12/29/12 Pedestrian Hit and Run Traffic Fatality

  • Kris Hammond
    Jan 1, 2013
      Hi Sal,

      I did not "bash" the 16 year-old-victim.  Based on my reading of the information provided by the MPD, the pedestrian was walking outside of the crosswalk at the time of the collision.  If the pedestrian was not jaywalking at the time of the incident, I would appreciate clarification of that fact from MPD.  Any jaywalking does not, of course, excuse any violation of the law by any driver.

      Rather than permit the pedestrian's death to be in vain, I have suggested that a public campaign promoting pedestrian awareness be implemented.  I don't believe this is an unreasonable position.

      Kris Hammond

      Re: FW: 12/29/12 Pedestrian Hit and Run Traffic Fatality: New York A

      Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:39 pm (PST) . Posted by:

      "Sal" saleem9@...

      My heart goes out to her family. This is so horrible. But, do you really think that it is appropriate to bash this 16 year old victim? Couldn't you have started a new thread with a different subject title? Wow! And your post got through...
      The hit and run knew it ran over something-

      On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 6:10 PM EST Kris Hammond wrote:

      >This is a sad story, but it basically boils down to this: A DC pedestrian was jaywalking, probably assumed that the vehicles would stop, but someone driving did not see her.  She died and one of the vehicles left the scene.

      * * * *

      After crossing the intersection of First Street with a solid green signal, the Pontiac struck a pedestrian, who was crossing north, outside of the east crosswalk.