14572Re: [MPD-5D] Re: FW: 12/29/12 Pedestrian Hit and Run Traffic Fatality: New York Avenue and First Street, NW

  • Faye M. Black
    Dec 31, 2012
      Wait, what? For a moment it almost looked like you just casually slandered a dead kid on a listserv. Oh, wait, that's exactly what you just did.

      What an utterly awful thing to say!

      I suspect, despite your tone of certainty, you did not witness this accident and you were nowhere near enough to this child to justify your rash speculations on how and why she died. Yet you still felt okay using this dead kid's back as your soapbox. Based on what? The fact that you've seen other people willfully walk into traffic!?

      I try to sit on my hands when it comes to this listserv but, wow. Consider what you're sending out into the world when you post.

      Faye Black
      Michigan Park

      On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 6:10 PM, Kris Hammond <kristofor1787@...> wrote:

      This is a sad story, but it basically boils down to this: A DC pedestrian was jaywalking, probably assumed that the vehicles would stop, but someone driving did not see her.  She died and one of the vehicles left the scene.

      I am tired of the extreme indifference and arrogance demonstrated by many DC pedestrians.  I generally drive only on weekends and evenings, but I have had pedestrians illegally walk in front of my car dozens of times in 2012.  If I had not slowed or stopped my vehicle during these occasions, I would have hit most of these pedestrians.  Honking at these individuals generally has little effect.  Who would have gotten the third degree if I struck a pedestrian because I momentarily took my eyes of the road?

      Is it possible that MPD could begin enforcement of the worst jaywalking violations and/or launch a safety awareness campaign targeting pedestrians?

      Kris Hammond

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Press, MPD (MPD)" <mpd.press@...> wrote:
      > Contact: Police Officer Araz Alali (202-727-4383)
      > December 29, 2012
      >  Pedestrian Hit and Run Traffic Fatality: New York Avenue and First Street, NW
      > (Washington, DC)-Detectives from the Metropolitan Police Department’s Major Crash Unit are seeking the public’s assistance in identifying and locating a vehicle of interest in connection with the pedestrian hit and run traffic fatality, which occurred at New York Avenue and First Street, NW.
      > On Friday, December 28, 2012, units from the First District responded to a pedestrian traffic collision with injury which occurred at approximately 6:06 pm at the intersection of New York Avenue and First Street, NW. A 2003 Pontiac Bonneville, was traveling east on New York Avenue, N.W.  After crossing the intersection of First Street with a solid green signal, the Pontiac struck a pedestrian, who was crossing north, outside of the east crosswalk.  After impacting with the Pontiac, the pedestrian landed in the roadway, and was run over by a tan sport utility type vehicle (SUV) with D.C. registration.

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic