14463Re: Alleged Drunk Driving Incident

  • brian.ions
    Dec 11, 2012
      Yep, Keith, that appears to be the case. "Alleged" is clearly the operative term, in this instance.
      :D
      And it seems less was mistakenly thought of the 507 team, as well. That's too bad. But it's a good lesson in life.

      We ought not jump to conclusions based upon idle speculations. Absent hearing from other 'sides' and/or other perspectives, everyone deserves the benefit of an initial doubt-- and due process-- including MPD's finest.

      Detectives and prosecutors alike can provide reams of recent, real-world examples where totally credible witnesses report nearly opposite descriptions of events.

      We never want to discourage citizen participation and cooperation when public safety is at stake. But it's just a fact, that cops hear lots of free advice-- and lots of creative speculations, too, from otherwise thoughtful, helpful and well-intentioned citizens.

      I totally understand Kathy's and Matt's concern. I once had a nearly new car sideswiped by a reckless driver when I lived on Monroe Street. Gosh, I was ticked!

      However, I also lost a wheel once at about 35mph due to faulty, loose lug nuts. In that instance, I was just plain lucky-- with no traffic around me, in a usually busy intersection-- as I swerved all over the place. I'm sure had it happened around 2 or 3 a.m., with nightclubs close by, witnesses might easily have assumed I was a drunk driver.

      That's why we have police, detectives and prosecutors whose craft is dedicated to carefully sifting through often conflicting information and/or easily mistaken accounts to find out what really happened.

      Let's thank them all again for their dedication to that craft.

      brian/
      PSA 504

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Mr. Keith Jarrell" <keith.k.jarrell@...> wrote:

      So the story of driving while intoxicated was made up by the citizen, and the driver falsely accused?

      On Dec 11, 2012 4:16 AM, "Jeter, Bryant (MPD)" <bryant.jeter@...> wrote:

      Hello all,
      I queried the PSA 507 officers working that night and I was informed that the lady operating the vehicle had a mechanical problem (Tie Rod) separated, causing her to lose control and thus she struck several parked vehicles. Reports were taken for damaged to property for the vehicle owners (CCN 12-171-613). Sorry this information was not available last evening because the responding officer(s) were on day off.
      Bryant A. Jeter
      Lieutenant
      Metropolitan Police Department
      1805 Bladensburg Rd., NE.