14411Re: [MPD-5D] Re: [Eckington] the R Street bike lanes

  • Katherine Makris
    Nov 30, 2012
      I second that about FL ave and R St. I bike to work on R and I DO follow the law, and have watched countless people nearly get hit in that intersection daily. Cars blow through the pedestrian signs and and intentionally try to intimidate pedestrians and cyclists.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Nov 30, 2012, at 5:38 PM, Allison Stewart <allisonstewart@...> wrote:

      This sentence could just as easily (if not more easily) say "CARS blow
      through stop signs, fail to yield the right of way making turns, fail to
      stop for red lights. CARS not in CAR lanes try to pass on the right in the
      space between the lane and parked cars." Bicyclists absolutely need to
      follow the law but it is absolutely ridiculous that drivers (especially DC
      ones) think that bikes should be ticketed for not following the law, and
      then complain that they get red light camera tickets, parking tickets, or
      speeding tickets. [Not that Ted is doing that, specifically, but this is a
      common theme - you need to follow the law MORE than I have to! It's a
      ridiculous sentiment.].

      And since MPD's on here, I'd like to point out that when I cross FL Ave on
      foot from R to the FL Ave park (almost daily) NOT ONE CAR ever stops to let
      me pass, despite the fact that it's the law AND there are plentiful signs.
      I strongly suggest putting a light or a stop sign there. Someone's going
      to get killed.

      Allison

      On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 5:05 PM, <mcginnfamily@...> wrote:

      > They blow through stop signs, fail to yield the right of way making turns,
      > fail to stop for red lights. Bikes not in bike lanes try to pass on the
      > right in the space between the lane and parked cars.

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic