      To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
      From: Edward.Bernat@...
      Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 00:52:46 -0400
      Subject: RE: [MPD-5D] Speed Limits: What's love got to do with it?

      The Speed and Red Light Cameras are in place to reduce accidents and to save lives.  When ever a person travels at a slower speed the reaction time is greater.  The difference between hitting a person at 25 MPH and 35 MPH could be life or death for all parties involved.  The penalty for being cited by the camera is a civil fine and does not carry any points, as opposed to any citation given by and officers which would carry points against the driver.  The easiest way to prevent paying the fine is to obey the speed limit or traffic control lights.  By doing this you would prevent the city or any jurisdiction from making any revenues. But making revenue is not the goal of this technology.

      DCMR Title 18 covers traffic regulations in the city.  Section 2200 covers the speed restrictions in the District of Columbia.  Section 2200.06 reads, as follows:

      On all streets and highways, unless otherwise designated in accordance with § 2200.2, the maximum lawful speed shall be twenty-five miles per hour (25 mph).

      I would also invite you to read sections 2200.1, 2200.2 and 2200.3.  Section 2200.3 could get you a ticket regardless of the posted speed limits should you get cited for driving at a speed which is unreasonable for the traffic conditions, such are rain, snow or construction.

      2200.1     Except when a special hazard exists that requires lower speed for compliance with this section, the limits specified in this section, or established as authorized in § 2200.2, shall be the maximum lawful speeds, and no person shall drive a vehicle on a street or highway at a speed in excess of such maximum limits.

      2200.2  Whenever the Mayor determines, upon the basis of an engineering and traffic investigation made by the Director, that any speed limit set forth in this section is greater or less than is reasonable or safe under the conditions found to exist at any intersection or other place or upon any part of a street or highway, he or she may determine and declare a reasonable and safe speed limit which shall be effective at all times, during the hours of daylight or darkness, or at such other times as may be determined when appropriate signs giving notice of the speed limits are erected at such intersections or other place or part of the highway.

      2200.3     No person shall drive a vehicle on a street or highway at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions and having regard to the actual and potential hazards then existing.

      Anywhere in the United States the speed limit for residential areas are 25 mph unless otherwise posted. I have been on the police department  long enough to have seen the difference in damage and injury from a crash being struck at 25 mph or less as opposed to 35 mph.  There is a huge difference in injury.

      If you travel from one location to another at 25 mph and then at 35 mph the difference in arrival time is so insignificant that it makes no sense in speeding and possibly putting children at risk of injury or even death.  Trust me if you were to seriously injure someone from negligence by speeding the cost would far greater to you and your family than the fine placed on you by the city.

      I hope this answers any questions about the cameras and speed limits.

      Edward R. Bernat

      Lieutenant

      Fifth District

      1805 Bladensburg Road, N.E.

      Washington, D.C. 20002

      Office - 202-698-0268

      Cell- 202-359-4240

      Email: edward.bernat@...

      CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail is confidential, intended only for use by the named recipient(s) above. The content included in this e-mail is the property of the Metropolitan Police Department and is law enforcement sensitive. This e-mail should not be forwarded or disseminated to unauthorized users. It should only be used by the intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by replying to this e-mail at the address shown above. This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential information. Please delete it from your files if you are not the intended recipient.

      Plan TODAY for what’s on the way.  September is National Emergency Preparedness Month.  To learn how to prepare & to sign up for critical emergency alerts, go to www.72hours.dc.gov.

      From: "brian.ions" <brian.ions@...>

      Sender: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 15:48:26 +0000

      To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>

      ReplyTo: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com

      Subject: [MPD-5D] Speed Limits: What's love got to do with it?

      Geovani, generally, ignorance of the law is no defense against its enforcement.

      So I'm curious. What DC code are you referencing and how does it read? And how specifically is the law being violated by the use of mobile speed cams?

      In my experience, Virginia is much tougher on speed limit enforcement than the District. Lower speeds always allow a driver more time to react safely to unexpected conditions. Given DC's dense population, with its crazy L'Enfant street layout and many kid pedestrians (always an unpredictable driving situation), I can't fault the chiefs at all for trying to save lives and limbs with tough speed limit enforcement.

      brian/
      504

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Lanier, Cathy (MPD)" <cathy.lanier@...> wrote:

      What area Geovani?