14001Re: Speed Limits: What's love got to do with it?

  • brian.ions
    Sep 11, 2012
      You're partially right, Daniel, in that cam enforcement nearly always saves taxpayer revenues by more efficiently allocating PD's and sheriff's patrol forces. That's a very good thing, as it provides more speeder deterrence bang for taxpayer bucks.

      However, your cynicism is still mistaken. There is no doubt that parents (AND aunts and uncles, grandparents, etc.) everywhere have little or no sympathy for speeders who thoughtlessly endanger the lives and limbs of their little children-- little children who trust their elders in their communities to provide a safe environment for them. But politicians, their prosecutors and law enforcement agencies aren't just responding to the public they serve and their own job experiences. Political leaders, lawyers, judges and cops have kids, grandkids and nieces and nephews, too.

      You are very mistaken if you don't understand how deeply committed PDs, state patrols and sheriff's offices (in our region and all over the country) are to the public safety of their communities' pedestrians and safe drivers -- and especially that of their communities' kids threatened by careless speeders.

      Hurling hundreds, if not thousands, of pounds of steel down a highway, street or road is a privilege, not a right. Speeding is a learned, bad habit-- usually from youth. It's often a mindset, too. Those who suffer from this dangerous habit need only develop new habits to overcome their threat to others-- the sooner, the better.

      Matthew and Matt are right. Speeders should simply stop speeding, and pay their tickets with good cheer. Most importantly, they ought learn from the experience.

      brian
      (recovering speeder)

      PS - Use the cruise control, too, speeders. On most vehicles it's good down to 25 mph. Who knew?
      :D

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Chapman <dchapmanz@...> wrote:

      Brian,

      Camera enforcement is in place to create revenue, not to save "lives and limbs." it's all about the money.

       To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
      > From: brian.ions@...
      > Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 15:48:26 +0000
      > Subject: [MPD-5D] Speed Limits: What's love got to do with it?
      >
      > Geovani, generally, ignorance of the law is no defense against its enforcement.
      >
      > So I'm curious. What DC code are you referencing and how does it read? And how specifically is the law being violated by the use of mobile speed cams?
      >
      > In my experience, Virginia is much tougher on speed limit enforcement than the District. Lower speeds always allow a driver more time to react safely to unexpected conditions. Given DC's dense population, with its crazy L'Enfant street layout and many kid pedestrians (always an unpredictable driving situation), I can't fault the chiefs at all for trying to save lives and limbs with tough speed limit enforcement.
      >
      > brian/
      > 504
      >

      > --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Lanier, Cathy (MPD)" cathy.lanier@ wrote:
      >

      > What area Geovani?