13987Re: [MPD-5D] Re: Love Letters from Chief Lanier (Not So Nice)

  • Matt Ashburn
    Sep 10, 2012
      Yes, the tickets are expensive, but so are the risks of driving unsafely.  The default speed limit is 25 unless otherwise posted, and the cameras don't start ticketing unless you're going 11mph over the speed limit.  I have little sympathy for those that get speed camera tickets- just pay the fine, and use it as a lesson to drive safer. A fine is a better wake-up call than an accident or injuring someone.

      Matt

      On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Bianca Lamar <blamar132@...> wrote:

      I agree with Geovani. I am a student at Howard U and I have had to use tuition money to pay off tickets and avoid getting a boot 2-3 times. I am not enrolled in the Fall 2012 semester because of this. I see the "Photo Enforced" signage but the speed is sometimes not posted. As of late, I've started to just slow down to 25 mph whenever I suspect a camera is around. The mobile cameras that you guys deploy and move around to new areas are also tricky to abide by. Feel free to look into my ticket history.

      I understand that the cameras help with pedestrian safety and that car accidents in the district have been lowered dramatically. But for me, someone who has luckily never been involved in an accident, the cameras have just been a vacuum on my savings account. I'd appreciate any advice or help with this that you may have to offer.

      Thanks so much,

      Struggling Student
      B. Lamar

      Sent from my iPhone