13030Re: Update

  • dachare
    Apr 10, 2012
      This is absolutely the best result we could have hoped for. While diligent police work and observant citizens can help fight crime, making the proceeds of those crimes worthless is the easiest, most cost-effective solution to battling this epidemic. It costs the providers little to offer this service, and less over time as criminals learn that the property they have violently stolen is worthless to them or anyone else. I just can't understand why, when this technology has existed for years, it took the providers so long to sign on to the solution. Thankfully they have finally "seen the light" and realized that it's in their customers' best interests to keep their property from being stolen.

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Lanier, Cathy (MPD)" <cathy.lanier@...> wrote:

      > I understand that a press release that we put out earlier may not have posted correctly. Here is a quick summary of the release and an article that is a good read.
      >
      > Over the past several weeks I have been providing updates to our residents on our progress in combating cell phone thefts and robberies in our community. Each time I provided an update about our efforts, members of the community would ask how they could help. Realizing the toughest part of this effort was our battle to get the cell service providers to permanently disable these stolen devices, I asked that you write letters and contact members of Congress and the FCC Chairman to encourage them to act on this important issue.
      >
      > With your help we were able to bring national attention to the violence associated with the cell phone robberies and thefts. Soon thereafter, the FCC, the cell phone industry, as well as law enforcement officials from across the nation began to work on a solution to combat the robberies and thefts similar to that reached oversees. I am happy to say that today the FCC and CTIA, the association for the wireless communication industry, made public their commitment to getting this done. In just four short months we garnered the support of the Major City Chiefs Association, the Conference of Mayors, the Council of the District of Columbia, FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski, Senator Charles Schumer (D-NY), Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton, and the cell phone industry to get this done.
      >
      > I wanted to take a minute to say thank you to everyone who assisted us in this effort. This initiative will make a world of difference in our efforts to improve public safety in the District.
      >
      > The article below summarizes the announcement
      >
      > [http://i.huffpost.com/gen/562769/thumbs/s-STOLEN-CELLPHONE-large.jpg%5d
      >

      > WASHINGTON -- Officials from the Federal Communications Commission and the wireless industry joined District of Columbia officials, New York City Police Commissioner Ray Kelly, Philadelphia Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey and U.S. Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) Tuesday morning to announce a special agreement to combat crime involving stolen cellphones.
      >
      > D.C. Mayor Vincent Gray (D) and Metropolitan Police Department Chief Cathy Lanier were on hand for the announcement at the John A. Wilson Building.
      >
      > According to the mayor's office:
      >
      > [FCC Chairman Julius] Genachowski announced an industry commitment to develop a shared, centralized database that will record unique identifiers of stolen wireless devices to prevent their reuse, thereby making it harder for thieves to resell stolen wireless devices. Legislation, sponsored by Senator Schumer, will ensure that authorities have the tools they need to crack down on efforts to evade this technological solution.

> [...]
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic