12758Re: [MPD-5D] Re: Drugs and Crime Activity at 1st and O Street NW

  • LStan LStan
    Mar 5, 2012
      Thank you thank you thank you MPD for making this area a priority!  This is clearly a hot spot as is the entire North Capital Street NW cooridor between Florida Ave and NY Ave.  Its such a shame and it needs to be dealt with once and for all.  The drug dealers will soon learn that this isnt an easy area to casually 'deal' at anymore.

      Also, I just went to the Subway recently and someone offered me drugs, either they are desperate or they are no scared of the consequences of getting caught by MPD that they were being that open about it.

      On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 6:57 PM, Solberg, Andrew (MPD) <Andrew.Solberg@...> wrote:

      I hope that more neighbors will be able to particpate in the Thursday night safety walks. As Rob mentions, it is a great way to meet your neighbors and create a safer community.

      Andy Solberg

      Join Mayor Gray’s One City • One Hire - 10,000 Jobs Campaign
      “Putting District Residents Back to Work – One Hire at a Time”

      Sent: Mon Mar 05 13:00:06 2012

      Subject: Re: [MPD-5D] Re: Drugs and Crime Activity at 1st and O Street NW

      I feel my previous comments require some clarification. I did not by any means say that the unit block of O St NW did not have it's share of crime, or more. I live a few houses down from that intersection, and have for some time - trust me, I know. I was merely questioning the efficacy of placing the van there for the foreseeable future, and wondering if it wouldn't be better placed, for instance, near MM Washington, where the street is woefully underpopulated, or perhaps a few blocks north, where the incidence of muggings and other violent crimes are dramatically higher.

      Incidentally, I would love to see any of the posters here or MPD officers join us for our weekly community safety walks, which  leave from that intersection every Thursday at 8:00 PM. A core group of us have kept it going strong for over half a year now, despite an expected drop in attendance due to the cold weather. If you would like to have a personal hand in keeping your neighborhood safe, this is a great way to do so, and a wonderful way to meet and discuss concerns with your neighbors in person.

      Thanks,

      Rob
      Unit Block of O, NW

      PS - Many thanks to the Commander for noting my initial  concerns about the van and its obstruction of the "No Parking" zone - the intersection has become dramatically safer to traverse since it has been pulled forward.

      On Mar 5, 2012 12:00 PM, "tvehunt" <tvehunt@...> wrote:

      To: Assist Chief, Groomes and Commander, Solberg:

      Please, by all means Madame and Sir let the Police Van stay right where it is on the corner at First and O Street NW for as long as if possible!! I do not know how Rob (Unless he has just moved into the neighborhood) could even think that this area is not a hot spot, for your information this is a REAL REAL HOT SPOT on this particular block, I ought to know considering I have lived here for a long time and had witness some bad awful things that you could not even think or imagine of and is still continuing to this day. So, everything else pertaining to things such as sight-line and etc., IS NOT IMPORTANT where as a person's safety in their own neighborhood is and I do beleive that the rest of the neighbor's will agree!!

      Thank you all at MPD-5-D for your response and assistants in this matter.

      tvehunt