12496Re: [MPD-5D] Robbery 4th and R St NW 2/1/11

  • Julia Wilton
    Feb 2, 2012
      Seriously?  We should live in fear and stop living our lives?  That's ridiculous....

      For the past two weeks I have been working on an urgent project in which I have not left the office until 10-11pm, bringing me home at the time that these serious crimes have been happening...Tuesday, I missed the robberies on 3rd Street by less than 5 minutes...I typically park in the alley if there is no parking in front of my house...regardless, there should never be a question for the hours I keep...I should assume that my home is safe and while yes, I live in the city, and should be careful, I should not have to live in fear of being held at gunpoint in front of my house, or have my house broken into...and I should never, ever be questioned for being outside at "that late hour"....sometimes I am walking home from Yoga at 9, or coming back from groceries, sometimes, I am sittting outside with a friend...we should be encouraging people to be out and on the streets, as opposed to hiding scared inside like a bunker at a normal hour that many are just coming home from dinner.

      On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Veronica MB <vmattab@...> wrote:

      Wendy...seriously? Why would a woman be walking at 9 pm?????? Some women are coming back from work or even at the grocery store at that time.

      Any woman or man should be able to walk or drive even at midnight and
      feel safe. No wonder DC feels like a ghost town at night.

      VMB

      --
      Our life is what our thoughts make it - Marcus Aurelius
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic