      From: Charles Bashara <cgnbashara@...>
      To: eckington@yahoogroups.com; edgewooddc <EdgewoodDC@yahoogroups.com>
      Cc: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com; "Lanier, Cathy (MPD)" <cathy.lanier@...>; "Thomas, Harry (COUNCIL)" <HThomas@...>
      Sent: Wed, May 4, 2011 10:58:12 PM
      Subject: Re: [Eckington] Re: [MPD-5D] RE: gun violence around the 4th and Rhode Island NE intersection

      As an Edgewood homeowner, I have to say that the light tower and police presence are definitely having an effect in thwarting the criminal activity at Third and Adams.  I'm grateful that the tower will be here for a while, but wonder how we can continue to prevent this activity once the light towers move on to the next hot spot.  The Pizza Mart is definitely a problem.  We should identify the owner, but I'd be surprised if he or she will be sympathetic.  I'm sure they make good money here and live elsewhere, where they don't have to endure the effects of their business practices.  Unless we can appeal to their sense of civic responsibility we may have to resort to public hearings to force a change in the terms of their license, organize protests to force a boycott, harass them with calls to the food inspectors and police and take other similar measures to embarrass them into becoming good neighbors or move on.  Does anyone know what legal or economic redress we have in this situation?  Any community organizers out there?

      There are other measures that we could take such as pushing for speed humps on Adams, 2nd and Third, as they have installed on Bryant.  We might also work to make Third one-way going towards RIA to limit traffic coming into Edgewood along Third from Eckington.  I've also seen interest in organizing community watch/walk programs and perhaps also installing signs declaring Edgewood drug-free, putting perps on notice that we're watching and will be relentless in reporting their activities.  The installation of surveillance cameras is another option.  While insisting upon respect for civil liberties, I also wonder how the police might help us in implementing these measures for the sake of our safety and well-being.

      Chuck on Adams

      On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 7:56 PM, Steven Conn <steven_conn@...> wrote:

      Dear Commander Solberg, thank you for the prompt response and congratulations on the swift arrests. The community is ready to work however we can to get these criminals behind bars.

      I urge CM Thomas to also do what he needs to do, via legislation, to curb these people with too many idle hours on their hands from interrupting communities, and wreaking havoc on the lives of innocent bystanders.

      In my opinion D.C. is entirely way overdue for some type of anti-loitering legislation to get these people off street corners, and wherever it is they belong... Perhaps social programs need to be focused on and re-vamped - limiting dependency on government assistance to a predefined time span would certainly prevent a lot of folks from taking up a life of leisure supplementing their assistance checks with drug sales, prostitution, etc... Whatever it is, that will prevent this volcano from erupting, now is the time because this area is quickly digressing from a liveable community with random bullets penetrating windows, gunshots every couple of nights, etc.

      We appreciate your assistance, and I realized after sending my original email that I was remiss in thanking MPD for your continued dedication. Be safe out there.

      Best regards,

      Steven