10695Re: RE: [MPD-5D] RE: gun violence around the 4th and Rhode Island NE intersection

    May 5, 2011
      There's not a lot we can do if they are waiting to buy stuff from the store.

      Andy Solberg

      From: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>
      To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wed May 04 16:28:36 2011
      Subject: Re: RE: [MPD-5D] RE: gun violence around the 4th and Rhode Island NE intersection

      Commander Solberg,

      The crowds seem to gather on the Adams St. side of Pizza Mart, which is where the walk-up window is. Customers can buy soda, candy, cigarettes etc. there but there is no prepared food (that's on the 4th St. side- which I can't see well from my apartment). There really isn't anywhere to wait other than on that sidewalk.

      I have noticed that when MPD parks one of its vehicles on that sidewalk with the flashers on, the crowds thin considerably! :)

      I'm sure the owners intend it to be a convenience, but the walk-up window is nearly as great a neighborhood nuisance as a vacant lot would be. Regardless, that business is a part of the community & has an interest in safety as well as in profit. What other opportunities are there to work together on this?

      (Ideally the whole lot Pizza Mart is on would get sold and redeveloped, but I wanted a pony when I was little and I never got that either....)

      Amy
      (she of the stray bullet through the window from a few weeks back)

      On May 04, 2011, at 10:14 AM, "Solberg, Andrew (MPD)" <Andrew.Solberg@...> wrote:

      I would suggest you talk to the owner and manager of the business, and bring your concerns to them.  Are they able to have people wait inside as they wait for their food?

      If you SEE something, SAY something.

      From: tim clark <theboyzup@...>
      Sender: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 07:27:30
      To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>; Lanier, Cathy \(MPD\)<cathy.lanier@...>; Thomas, Harry \(COUNCIL\)<HThomas@...>
      Cc: mpd-5d@yahoogroups.com<mpd-5d@yahoogroups.com>; eckington@yahoogroups.com<eckington@yahoogroups.com>

      Commander Solberg,

      Thanks for your response. I'm glad the officers were able to arrest the suspects
      immediately. This area has for many years been a hot spot for drug sales,
      loitering, prostitution and other illegal activities. I'm not sure the light
      tower goes far enough in tackling the immense amount of illegal activity that
      takes place in this area on a daily basis. This issue has to be tackled in a
      much more aggressive approach in order to successfully weed out the problems.
      Many of the violators have become use to the light tower and have found ways to
      allude the sitting squad cars and continue their criminal activity.

      I'll be in contact with you and Chief Lanier to discuss possible solutions to
      cleaning up this corridor. As always, I appreciate the hard work and dedication
      of your officers to keep our community safe.

      Regards,
      Tim Clark
      Commissioner, 5C05

      From: "Solberg, Andrew (MPD)" <Andrew.Solberg@...>