      From: tim clark <theboyzup@...>
      To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com; "Lanier, Cathy (MPD)" <cathy.lanier@...>; "Thomas, Harry (COUNCIL)" <HThomas@...>
      Cc: "mpd-5d@yahoogroups.com" <mpd-5d@yahoogroups.com>; "eckington@yahoogroups.com" <eckington@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, May 4, 2011 10:27 AM
      Subject: Re: [Eckington] Re: [MPD-5D] RE: gun violence around the 4th and Rhode Island NE intersection

      Commander Solberg,

      Thanks for your response. I'm glad the officers were able to arrest the suspects immediately. This area has for many years been a hot spot for drug sales, loitering, prostitution and other illegal activities. I'm not sure the light tower goes far enough in tackling the immense amount of illegal activity that takes place in this area on a daily basis. This issue has to be tackled in a much more aggressive approach in order to successfully weed out the problems. Many of the violators have become use to the light tower and have found ways to allude the sitting squad cars and continue their criminal activity.

      I'll be in contact with you and Chief Lanier to discuss possible solutions to cleaning up this corridor. As always, I appreciate the hard work and dedication of your officers to keep our community safe.

      Regards,
      Tim Clark
      Commissioner, 5C05