10370Re: [MPD-5D] When you dial 9-1-1 or 3-1-1

    Apr 4, 2011
      Thanks Yvonne. Good points.

      Andy Solberg

      From: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>
      To: 'MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com' <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Mon Apr 04 11:29:43 2011
      Subject: [MPD-5D] When you dial 9-1-1 or 3-1-1

      Commander,

      I’d also like to remind the readers that 9-1-1 and 3-1-1 calls are answered by civilian dispatchers, housed at the Office of Unified Communications.  These trained call takers are receiving and dispatching calls for police, fire, ambulance and city services.  When you need police dispatched to an area (emergency or non-emergency, ALWAYS call 9-1-1).  Some people hesitate to dial 9-1-1 if they feel it is not an emergency, but rules have changed and they are designed to save lives.  Sometimes a non-emergency can turn into an emergency.  It is best to follow these instructions and let the dispatcher guide you from there.

      Also, members of the new the administration for the Office of Unified Communications (aka OUC/9-1-1 and 3-11 Call Center) are members of all of our police-community YahooGroups.  They will read and respond to postings as needed.

      Thank you.

      Yvonne Smith

      Office of Community Outreach

      MPD