PSA 403 Meeting

  • A R
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 21, 2006
      Is the PSA 403 meeting still scheduled for this evening at 7:00 PM at the Emery Recreation Center?

      Thanks,
      AR
    • robwhddn@netscape.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 21, 2006
        Oh great. So tonight's PSA 403 meeting is going to draw a crowd of
        ambulance chasers, folks that just can't help but stop and look.

        Lt. Brown isn't superwoman, but she seems like a good person and a
        pretty darn hardworking cop. I've interacted with her more than a dozen
        or so times in the two years I have been in Petworth. She runs a pretty
        good PSA meeting and she came to several of my block association
        meetings. (AR? Are you listening? The next few points address your
        recent postings?)

        I dunno about 15 months ago or maybe a little less Kennedy Street was
        designated as a hotspot. I went to those meetings and wanted to pitch
        in. I asked Alicia Rucker (MPD's public outreach coordinator for 4D)
        what I could do. She said start a block association.

        I did just that. I made t-shirts, gave away prizes (a breakfast with
        Adrian Fenty, security clubs for automobiles), provided food, the whole
        shebang. Alicia came to every meeting. Lt. Brown came to half of them
        and when she couldn't come she made sure an officer could. There were a
        couple of meetings where Lt. Brown was there and two of her officers
        just stopped by. They couldn't stay because they were working, but they
        dropped in to say "Hi, I'm your local cop, feel free to talk to me
        whenever."

        I stopped the block association not because MPD didn't want to help out
        and interact with the community, but because THE COMMUNITY didn't want
        to participate. I could get only one or two people to come towards the
        end and it drove me nuts.

        The problem isn't the cops. Bad cops will be caught and fired. It's the
        people. What do you do with bad communities? I want to impose a tax on
        people who don't get involved. I want a CID, community improvement
        district whereby you pay extra money to supplement social services and
        the only way to get an exemption from the tax is to participate in a
        minimum number of community activities. I know it sounds nuts and needs
        to be worked out, but I'm tired of just letting folks turn a blind eye
        to the crap that is going on in their backyards. I say make that blind
        eye cost them something.

        I still hold the cops partly responsible, it doesn't seem like they are
        able to engage the community in a manner that would make our lives and
        their lives better, but then again that's the silver bullet I suspect
        and it's elusive because it is hard.

        Cordially,

        Robert Whiddon
        Formerly of the 5th & Gallatin Block Association

        (P.S. I might just start the association back up as a tribute to Lt.
        Brown.)

        Is the PSA 403 meeting still scheduled for this evening at 7:00 PM
        at the Emery Recreation Center?

        Thanks,
        AR
      • Poteat, Anthony (MPD)
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 21, 2006

          Yes, Lt. Aurigemma will handle the meeting this evening.  He was assigned to PSA 404 now he is detailed to PSA 403.

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 21, 2006
            I asked about the PSA meeting because, with a temporary lieutenant on board, I was curious if the meeting would still be held. I have no intention to make this meeting have to with anything about the Lt. Brown issue.  I just want to make sure the current leadership is aware of the issues that Lt. Brown has been helping to address over the past year in our neighborhood and to ensure that some recent issues will continue to be addressed.

            The MPD needs to carry out their investigation to find out what happened with respect to the missing gun.  I am disappointed that they did not let us know a weapon was missing, because disseminating such information could have helped their investigation.  However, like most everyone else, I don't know what actually happened.  Hopefully, the investigation will reveal the truth and, for the sake of  accountability, I hope the MPD makes their results public.

            As for community involvement, I disagree that the community has not been involved.  Many of us take a lot of time out of our days to send emails to officials, pick up trash, and report problems to the MPD.  Many of my neighbors have been in contact with Fenty to ensure that problems are addressed legislatively and others have worked tirelessly to bring more city services to our neighborhood that was very neglected by DPW and DCRA two years ago.  Lt. Brown, Cpt. Poteat and other MPD officials have helped by coordinating efforts with DCRA and other public agencies.  I've even talked to older residents on my block who don't have internet access but are now making more calls to 311 and 727-1000 to report suspicious activity or to get public works issues addressed.  Several residents have come to me with long lists of things they wanted filed on DC's service request site. People are involved, even if it's not always as visible as attendance at a block or PSA meeting.

            AR

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 21, 2006
              It seems entirely appropriate for residents to attend tonight's
              meeting to inquire about the recent news reports that suggest serious
              personnel problems at 4D. These could be, after all, problems which
              impact the police department's ability to enforce the law and protect
              citizens.

              Just as it's our responsibility to tackle issues in our communities --
              from trash on the sidewalks to corner drug dealing -- it's also our
              responsibility to be involved in the way in which governance
              (including law enforcement) is conducted.

            • robwhddn@netscape.net
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 21, 2006
                Neighbors,

                Mr. White is wrong. If the general level of crime and MPD's response to
                it in our community hasn't prompted you to attend PSA 403s meetings in
                the past, you have no business coming out tonight.

                The subject will not, nor should it be, the Lt. Brown saga.

                Cordially,

                Robert Whiddon

> [...]

                needs
                > to be worked out, but I'm tired of just letting folks turn a blind
                eye
                > to the crap that is going on in their backyards. I say make that
                blind
                > eye cost them something.
                >
                > I still hold the cops partly responsible, it doesn't seem like they
                are
                > able to engage the community in a manner that would make our lives
                and
                > their lives better, but then again that's the silver bullet I
                suspect
                > and it's elusive because it is hard.
                >
                > Cordially,
                >
                > Robert Whiddon
                > Formerly of the 5th & Gallatin Block Association
                >
                > (P.S. I might just start the association back up as a tribute to Lt.

              • A R

> [...]

                  needs
                  > to be worked out, but I'm tired of just letting folks turn a blind
                  eye
                  > to the crap that is going on in their backyards. I say make that
                  blind
                  > eye cost them something.
                  >
                  > I still hold the cops partly responsible, it doesn't seem like they
                  are
                  > able to engage the community in a manner that would make our lives
                  and
                  > their lives better, but then again that's the silver bullet I
                  suspect
                  > and it's elusive because it is hard.
                  >
                  > Cordially,
                  >
                  > Robert Whiddon
                  > Formerly of the 5th & Gallatin Block Association
                  >
                  > (P.S. I might just start the association back up as a tribute to Lt.

                • Joseph Martin
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 21, 2006
                    Responding to Rob Whiddon's earlier posting: Rob, please don't give up. It takes relentless, persistent, hard work. I am seeing a considerable amount of positive change in our neck of Petworth...

                    Joseph Martin
                    ANC 4C Chair / SMD 4C09 Commissioner
                    202-309-1817 cell
                    888-783-5329 efax

                    Reply to: anc4c09@...

                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                  • jaymewhite
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 21, 2006
                      Dear Mr. Whiddon,
                      Thank you for clarifying who should and should not attend public PSA
                      meetings. I further appreciate you letting us know what we can and
                      cannot discuss. Lastly, I find it stunning that no one was interested
                      in attending your block association meetings.

                      Cordially,

                      Mr. White

                    • robwhddn@netscape.net
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 21, 2006
                        Ouch. I just got served.

                        Everyone who wants to come and revel in Lt. Brown's misery is more than
                        welcome.

                        Obviously my thoughts, are just that--my own.

                        I should no better than to tangle with the list serv. Man, that hurt.

                        Cordially,

                        Robert Whiddon

                        Thank you for clarifying who should and should not attend public PSA
                        meetings. I further appreciate you letting us know what we can and
                        cannot discuss. Lastly, I find it stunning that no one was interested
                        in attending your block association meetings.

                        Cordially,

                        Mr. White

                        --- In MPD-4D@yahoogroups.com, robwhddn@... wrote:

                        > Neighbors,
                        >
                        > Mr. White is wrong. If the general level of crime and MPD's response
                        > it in our community hasn't prompted you to attend PSA 403s meetings
                        in
                        > the past, you have no business coming out tonight.
                        >
                        > The subject will not, nor should it be, the Lt. Brown saga.
                        >
                        > Cordially,
                        >
                        > Robert Whiddon

                      • Lamond, Shane (MPD)
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 15, 2012
                          Good Afternoon,

                          This is a reminder that there is no PSA 403 community meeting tonight. The next community meeting will be September 19th at 7 PM at Emery Recreation Center. In the meantime, please feel free to contact me via email with any questions, concerns, or issues within the PSA.

                          Thank you,

                          Lieutenant Lamond
                          Fourth District, PSA 403
                          Email: shane.lamond@...
                          Check out the "One City Action Plan"
                          Read Mayor Gray's comprehensive strategy to create a thriving city for all!
                          Visit http://onecityactionplan.dc.gov to learn more.
                        • Staten, Derek (MPD)
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 15 9:08 AM

                            Good Evening Fourth District Family,

                            The PSA 403 community meeting is scheduled for this Wednesday, July 16th 2014 at 7:00pm at the Emery Recreation Center located at 5701 Georgia Ave NW, Washington, DC 20011.

                            Please tell a Neighbor and bring a friend.

                            Mr. Derek Staten

                            Fourth District Metropolitan Police Department

                            Community Outreach Coordinator

                            Office: (202) 715-7418

                            Cell:    (202) 270-1640

                            Email: derek.staten@...

                            Reaching Further......

                            DC Public Schools’ Beautification Day is on Saturday, August 23! Roll up your sleeves and help beautify our schools. Sign up to volunteer.