1941Re: [MPD-4D] PSA 403 Meeting

  • A R
    Jun 21, 2006
      I asked about the PSA meeting because, with a temporary lieutenant on board, I was curious if the meeting would still be held. I have no intention to make this meeting have to with anything about the Lt. Brown issue.  I just want to make sure the current leadership is aware of the issues that Lt. Brown has been helping to address over the past year in our neighborhood and to ensure that some recent issues will continue to be addressed.

      The MPD needs to carry out their investigation to find out what happened with respect to the missing gun.  I am disappointed that they did not let us know a weapon was missing, because disseminating such information could have helped their investigation.  However, like most everyone else, I don't know what actually happened.  Hopefully, the investigation will reveal the truth and, for the sake of  accountability, I hope the MPD makes their results public.

      As for community involvement, I disagree that the community has not been involved.  Many of us take a lot of time out of our days to send emails to officials, pick up trash, and report problems to the MPD.  Many of my neighbors have been in contact with Fenty to ensure that problems are addressed legislatively and others have worked tirelessly to bring more city services to our neighborhood that was very neglected by DPW and DCRA two years ago.  Lt. Brown, Cpt. Poteat and other MPD officials have helped by coordinating efforts with DCRA and other public agencies.  I've even talked to older residents on my block who don't have internet access but are now making more calls to 311 and 727-1000 to report suspicious activity or to get public works issues addressed.  Several residents have come to me with long lists of things they wanted filed on DC's service request site. People are involved, even if it's not always as visible as attendance at a block or PSA meeting.

      AR

      robwhddn@... wrote:
      Oh great. So tonight's PSA 403 meeting is going to draw a crowd of
      ambulance chasers, folks that just can't help but stop and look.

      Lt. Brown isn't superwoman, but she seems like a good person and a
      pretty darn hardworking cop. I've interacted with her more than a dozen
      or so times in the two years I have been in Petworth. She runs a pretty
      good PSA meeting and she came to several of my block association
      meetings. (AR? Are you listening? The next few points address your
      recent postings?)

      I dunno about 15 months ago or maybe a little less Kennedy Street was
      designated as a hotspot. I went to those meetings and wanted to pitch
      in. I asked Alicia Rucker (MPD's public outreach coordinator for 4D)
      what I could do. She said start a block association.

      I did just that. I made t-shirts, gave away prizes (a breakfast with
      Adrian Fenty, security clubs for automobiles) , provided food, the whole
      shebang. Alicia came to every meeting. Lt. Brown came to half of them
      and when she couldn't come she made sure an officer could. There were a
      couple of meetings where Lt. Brown was there and two of her officers
      just stopped by. They couldn't stay because they were working, but they
      dropped in to say "Hi, I'm your local cop, feel free to talk to me
      whenever."

      I stopped the block association not because MPD didn't want to help out
      and interact with the community, but because THE COMMUNITY didn't want
      to participate. I could get only one or two people to come towards the
      end and it drove me nuts.

      The problem isn't the cops. Bad cops will be caught and fired. It's the
      people. What do you do with bad communities? I want to impose a tax on
      people who don't get involved. I want a CID, community improvement
      district whereby you pay extra money to supplement social services and
      the only way to get an exemption from the tax is to participate in a
      minimum number of community activities. I know it sounds nuts and needs
      to be worked out, but I'm tired of just letting folks turn a blind eye
      to the crap that is going on in their backyards. I say make that blind
      eye cost them something.

      I still hold the cops partly responsible, it doesn't seem like they are
      able to engage the community in a manner that would make our lives and
      their lives better, but then again that's the silver bullet I suspect
      and it's elusive because it is hard.

      Cordially,

      Robert Whiddon
      Formerly of the 5th & Gallatin Block Association

      (P.S. I might just start the association back up as a tribute to Lt.
      Brown.)