Re: Request for Additional Patrols at 14th/W Street NW

  • Lanier, Cathy (MPD)
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 22 7:56 AM
      Good morning Fry

      Thanks for writing. Of course we will assist.  I am copying in Commander Kishter and he will follow up directly.

      On Jul 21, 2014, at 11:13 PM, "Fry Wernick" <frywernick@...> wrote:

      Chief Lanier and Officers of the Third District:

      On behalf of the residents of 1407 W Street Condo Association, I am writing to request additional foot patrol and police presence at 14th/W Street, NW, and specifically in the alleyway just north of 1407 W Street, NW, between W St. and Florida Ave., NW.  Over the past few weeks, residents in our building have complained of increased loitering by teenagers smoking marijuana in the area, and these incidents have increased dramatically over the past few days. Typically, we have found between 5 to 10 teenagers sitting on top of our residents' cars in the alley and smoking marijuana, and one car has been damaged already.  Some of our residents, at great risk to themselves, have attempted to engage the teenagers to ask them to leave the premises, but the teenagers have refused to leave.  (Thankfully, the residents have thus far avoided injury.  We have yet to suffer the type of severe face and head injuries sustained by our polite neighbor across the street at 1418 W Street NW when he was severely beaten a few years ago after he politely asked a man to pick up the beer can he had tossed in the street).  Our residents also have made repeated calls to 911 to report the public marijuana use, destruction of property, and loitering in the alleyway, with no appreciable results.  I received one report that the police did appear on one occasion and the teenagers left, but they reappeared shortly thereafter to begin smoking on the cars again.  To date, there have been no arrests, despite the fact that public marijuana use (and destruction of property) remains illegal in D.C.  As you know, the summer months are the most difficult in our neighborhood and the problem typically escalates if there is not a quick MPD response and increase in police presence.  We are now asking you to please be proactive and make an effort to patrol this area before it become a bigger problem.

      All of our residents appreciate the hard work and dedicated service of the 3D MPD officers and I would be remiss if I did not take this occasion to thank all of the dedicated officers for making 3D a safer place.  Indeed, in years past I have had to make several calls and emails and the need to do so has dropped dramatically over the past year.  We also understand that there are significant demands on your time and attention in the area, but we hope that you will respond to this plea for additional officers, which we pray will help stop this problem before it gets worse.

      Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.  If you would like to discuss this matter, please feel free to contact me at the number below.

      Ephraim (Fry) Wernick
      President, 1407 W Street Condos
      (214) 263-5053

      DC Public Schools’ Beautification Day is on Saturday, August 23! Roll up your sleeves and help beautify our schools. Sign up to volunteer.

    • Kishter, Jacob (MPD)
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 22 8:06 AM

        Chief,

        We will continue our proactive patrols and focus enforcement with our vice team.

        Jacob Kishter
        Commander
        Metropolitan Police Dept.
        Third District
        1620 V St, NW
        Washington , DC 20009
        Office: 202-671-6600
        Cell: 202-528-8612
        Ironman Finisher

        Helpful Safety Tips: http://mpdc.dc.gov/safety
        Domestic Violence: http://mpdc.dc.gov/domesticviolence

[...]

      • Sr. Niemah Karen Gaal
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 22 9:35 AM
          We have similar activity too!!!! Having your support at 1424 and 1418 W Street will also be greatly appreciated.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 22 9:40 AM

            Thank you Commander Kishter

[...]

          • Washington Apts Manager
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 22 9:52 AM

              Good afternoon,

              First and foremost I apologize for the “piggy back” email!  I just joined the MPD-3d group and wanted to share my experience in the PSA 308 area.  Although I am very pleased with the Officers in PSA 308, I would like to request more presence in the evenings beginning around 7:00pm at the 7th and N location.

              I am the Manager at Washington Apartments.  Nonresidents are cooking out on the property starting in the evenings and ending late evenings leading into the morning hours.  I understand the “no loitering” laws in the district however these folks are on private property.  I also have a problem with stragglers hanging in building 1300 6th Street often explaining that they are homeless.

              Your quick response and assistance is greatly appreciated.

              Sincerely,

              Rondelle Mayes
              Community Manager

              WASHINGTON APARTMENTS | WASHAPARTMENTS.COM
              Office #202-737-2206| Fax #202-628-3613|washaptsmgr@...

              1205 1/2  7th Street, N.W. | Washington | D.C.  20001
               lg1090_w286_h77Description: H:\101 Vantage Management Inc\Marketing\Logo\Vantage Logo - color gray red.png

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 22 1:42 PM
                Privately owned high definition security cameras on well illuminated areas, even overlooking public space, both deter criminal activity and assist MPD and US Attorney's in closing cases for far less money than additional MPD officers. Officers can't be everywhere at all times. Modern, inexpensive hi def camera feeds can be monitored 24/7 by on site staff and remotely by staff at home (if they like) or anywhere they have a handheld device with internet access to the IP address of the video feed. Some MPD officers have IP access to some low income property cameras (like the R St Apartments off 14th St) 24/7. Who wouldn't want that type of enhanced security surveillance from MPD?

                We need more leaders focused on cost effective solutions that work and stop bringing up the pointless issues that muddle discussion and prevent making crime ridden communities as safe as the Elysian neighborhoods in Ward 3 and elsewhere.

                It would be great if everyone stayed in their own lane and didn't bother others and if all the criminals in the area had taken advantage of the overpriced *free* public education (tax payers have funded for years) to better their lives, but that's not the world we live in. I'd certainly rather see all large property owners use an effective camera system than people armed with guns to protect their safety.