FW: Arrest Made in Shooting at the National Zoo: 3000 Block of Connecticut Avenue, NW

  • Press, MPD (MPD)
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2014

      Contact: Police Officer Araz Alali (202-727-4383)

      May 03, 2014

      Arrest Made in Shooting at the National Zoo: 3000 Block of Connecticut Avenue, NW

      (Washington, DC) – The Metropolitan Police Department announced today an arrest has made in connection to the shooting that occurred in the 3000 Block of Connecticut Avenue, NW

      On Monday, April 21, 2014, at approximately 5:17 pm, an individual fired a handgun multiple times outside of the zoo striking two individuals who suffered non-life threatening injuries.  An in-depth investigation has indicated that a lone gunman was responsible for this offense.

      On Saturday, May 03, 2014, Detectives from the Metropolitan Police Department arrested a 14-year-old juvenile male from Southwest, DC and charged him with Assault with a Dangerous Weapon (Gun).

      Today's arrest demonstrates the ongoing commitment of the dedicated men and woman of the Metropolitan Police Department and its partners in law enforcement to aggressively pursue these types of crimes. Gun violence in our city is unacceptable.   As a team, we will continue to methodically investigate these types of crimes and protect our city.  Particular to this arrest, the use of firearms in a violent act will not be tolerated in the District of Columbia. The Metropolitan Police Department has worked tirelessly on this matter to ensure the perpetrator would be apprehended and were assisted by the Metro-Transit Police, the Zoo Police, Prince George's County PD, several other government agencies, and citizens.  The Metropolitan Police Department along with the close cooperation of its citizens will not relent in bringing to justice those who wield illegal guns and carelessly risk the public’s safety.  This arrest should serve as a reminder to criminals that law enforcement will continue to pursue individuals engaged in violent criminal activity.

      ###

    • Josephine Pizza
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2014
        Although it saddens me that the person arrested for this shooting outside of the National Zoo is a 14 year old juvenile, I applaud the Metropolitan Police Department and the other Departments who worked diligently to identify and apprehend, arrest and charge the suspect.

        Thank you to all of the members of our Metropolitan Police Department for your hard work in helping to keep our city safe, and for reminding those who act otherwise that such actions are unacceptable in DC.

        susan pizza

[...]

      • Kathy Smith