Information on officer involved shooting of a dog?

  • Dave Stroup
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 13, 2014
      Hearing reports that a dog was shot at 8th and C NE. Can you share any information about what happened?

      Thanks,

      --
      Dave Stroup
      m. 202.487.7433  @davestroup
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 13, 2014

        At approximately 2:15 today, First District officers on patrol discharged their weapons at 2 pitbulls running at large in the area.  The dogs had reportedly attacked several citizens in the area beforehand.

        One dog succumbed to his injuries on the scene and the second was seized by Animal Control Officers.  The owner of the dogs has been identified and will be cited accordingly.

        There were no serious injuries sustained to the victims of this animal attack.

        Thank You.

        Commander Jeff Brown

        First District

        101 M St SW

        Washington DC 20024

        (202) 299-2037

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 13, 2014
            On March 13, 2014, at around 2:00 PM, First District officers on routine patrol in the 800 block of C Street, Northeast, interrupted (2) loose pit bulls attacking a citizen's dogs by fatally shooting one of the pit bulls, and injuring the other.  The animals were recovered by the D.C. Animal Control Agency.

            The on scene investigation revealed that prior to the attack that the officers witnessed, the pit bulls had bitten a citizen, and attacked another dog at 10th & Maryland Avenue, Northeast.  The citizen was treated on the scene for her injuires by DCFD, and released.  There were no injuries to the officers.

            This case is currently being investigated by First District personnel and the D.C. Animal Control Agency.

            Lieutenant Eddie G. Fowler (PSA 107)
            Metropolitan Police Department
            First District Sub-Station
            500 E Street, SE
            Washington, D.C.  20003
            Cell:  202-425-2826

            Have questions about your new Supercan, trash can or larger recycling bin? Check out this helpful FAQ from the Department of Public Works.

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 14, 2014

                Dan there is no additional information regarding this incident.  The owner(s) have been cited for allowing their dogs to run at large.  It is unknown at this time if the second dog seized by Animal Control will be returned to the owner(s).

                Thank You.

                Commander Jeff Brown

                First District

                101 M St SW