Pedestrian safety and wreckless driving on residential streets

  • djbarker08
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 7, 2014
      Hello,

      I was biking home from work at 5:30pm on F Street NE today and a driver with Maryland plates pulled next to me, within inches, and shouted something at me from her car, then sped ahead.  It was clear that her intention was to intimidate me.  Additionally, my partner reported that while walking home on F St NE at 6pm a SUV ran a red light at the intersection with 4th St NE, immediately adjacent to the school, with kids on the sidewalk.  While I appreciate the enforcement that was being done yesterday in regards to the "local traffic only, weekdays 4-6:30pm" signs eastbound from Union Station on F St NE, it seems that unsafe and aggressive driving on residential streets in our neighborhood continues to be a problem.  Is there any way to further address this issue?

      Thank you,
      Dan
    • Jessica Zufolo
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 7, 2014

        This is also a huge problem on 8th and D NE.

        I completely agree that something needs to be done.

        Sincerely,

        Jessica

        On Mar 7, 2014 6:28 PM, <djbarker08@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Brown, Jeff (MPD)
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 7, 2014
          Dan,

          We will add this to our list of enforcement locations and attempt to provide some relief.

          Thank You.

          Cmdr. Jeff Brown
          First District
          101 M St SW
          Washington, DC 20024
          (202) 299-2037

          On Mar 7, 2014, at 6:28 PM, "djbarker08@..." <djbarker08@...> wrote:

[...]

          As you spring forward, check your smoke alarm. It may be time for a new one. The DC Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department provides free installations of smoke alarms for owner-occupied District homes. Request an installation at http://311.dc.gov or call 202-673-3331.

        • Fowler, Eddie (MPD)
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 7, 2014

            Thank you for taking the time to bring this traffic safety issue at 8th & D Street, Northeast, to the attention of the Metropolitan Police Department.

            Raising driver safety awareness is a priority for the Metropolitan Police Department.  By implementing traffic enforcement initiatives, offering tips on sharing the road, and participating in regional programs, the Metropolitan Police Department is working to continually improve safety on the streets for pedestrians, bicyclists, and drivers safety.

            please report unsafe driving behaviors by calling 911, and providing the dispatcher with a detailed description of the vehicle and the direction of travel.

            In an effort to address unsafe driving at 8th & D Street, Northeast, I will ensure that officers assigned to Police Service Area (PSA) 107 increase traffic enforcement in the area during rush hour.  Additionally, I will forward this matter to Traffic Safety and Specialized Enforcement Branch to determine the feasibility for automated enforcement (red light and speed photo cameras) at the location; and to supplement the enforcement efforts of First District personnel.

            Lieutenant Eddie G. Fowler (PSA 107)
            Metropolitan Police Department
            First District Sub-Station
            500 E Street, SE
            Washington, D.C.  20003
            Cell:  202-425-2826

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 7, 2014
              Thank you, Cmdr. Brown, for your response and the attention you give to this listserv as a forum for communicating concerns.

              Dan
            • Dani Wiblemo
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 7, 2014
                Thank you Dan for bringing this up. My child walks to SHMS (crosses just 2 streets) from our home on 6th near F and has witnessed a t-bone accident this past Fall at 6th & F NE directly after school.  The Fire Department had to extricate the passengers (including an infant in a car seat) from the car by the "jaws of life" cutting off the top of the car - thankfully no one was badly hurt.  Shortly after the accident, a speed radar sign was placed on 6th between F and G (the base is still there but the LED sign with the speed monitor is recently gone).   I have walked with him to school and see people turn illegally on red lights (where signs are posted) or rush through the yellow lights. Between Stuart Hobson Middle School and Ludlow Taylor Elementary School, there are many young children walking this F Street corridor -- often without direct parent supervision (mostly Middle School aged kids).

                Dani Wiblemo

                Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take, but by moments that take our breath away

[...]

              • Elisabeth Huybens
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 8, 2014
                  Hello,

                  If I may add to the chorus, cars regularly run the red light at the intersection of North Carolina and 7th SE, just across from Eastern Market as they make their way west along North Carolina Avenue in the morning.  This is an intersection with heavy pedestrian traffic, with people (including many kids) making their way to the metro stop or school. As a pedestrian one can never count on the walk sign at this intersection, commuters regularly run through it.  This is not an isolated problem on the Hill.

                  Would be tremendously grateful for stepped up enforcement of respect for traffic lights, at this intersection and other problematic ones.

                  Many thanks, Elisabeth.

[...]

                • Diane Hoover
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 8, 2014
                    Just today I rode my bike from my home at 12th & I NE to Union Market. On the way home I came down 6th street to L NE and took a right to see where the Zipcar I have reserved resides at 5th. After that I was heading east on L to head back towards home. I stopped at the stop sign at 6th and L to let the two cars on 6th go as they did stop first. I then proceeded to go through the intersection where as taxi cab..A yellow cab company cab decided that he did not want to stop at the stop sign and was going through. Needless to say he missed me by about 2 feet and people were yelling at him to STOP..
                    There are so many intersections where either the stop sign is not obeyed or the red light ignored..I see more and more red light running now on H St NE…I know that not every intersection in town can be monitored, but wow…I wish that I had taken down the cab's car number and I would have made a call to Yellow Cab to tell them that they need to inform their cabs to stop at signs or they may just kill someone.

                    Be careful out there...

                    diane

                    --
                    Diane

                    "People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
                    -- Maya Angelou

                    "No one ever became poor by giving"
                    -Anne Frank
                  • mjwilson99
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 8, 2014
                      I will add my voice to the chorus.  Drivers routinely fail to yield to come to a stop and yield pedestrians in the crosswalk when making a right turn at intersections with stop signs and red signals.  Second Street at D, SE and North Carolina Avenue, SE, are particularly problematic for pedestrians with children, as are Fourth Street and South Carolina Avenue, SE and Third Street and North Carolina Avenue, SE, where the school crossing guard all-too-frequently needs to step in front of vehicles intent on ignoring her hand signals to stop and yield.  It's time for MPD (PSA 106) to step up enforcement of aggressive driving, speeding, running red lights, and distracted driving (texting and cell phone usage) before someone is seriously injured or killed.

                      Michael Wilson
                    • Mike The Star
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 10, 2014
                        There are 2 intersections in my vicinity that also need additional enforcement.

                        The first is at 13th and D Streets NE in all directions, but during the morning commute inbound (westbound) D Street is a busy shortcut off of Constitution and C.  Virtually no one stops for the right turn onto 13th.

                        The second is at 12th and C Streets NE, especially the stop sign on C westbound.  Observance of the stop seems to depend on whether the light at 11th is red or green.  And Maryland commuter vehicles apparently have a "get out of stopping" pass.  Anyone stuck behind a fool who actually stops sees no problem using the bike lane to scoot around the slowpoke.

                        Unfortunately, placing a cruiser at these intersections in the past has had a calming effect only for the duration, with no long term resolution.  And while I get the point of much of the new electronic surveilance devices, I also think it leaves many drivers with the impression that the unmonitored locations' stop signs and signals are merely "suggestions".

                        Many thanks in advance for adding these 2 locations to your growing list.

                        =====mike*