Stolen package

  • hollytakamura
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 25, 2012
      I have determined through my Amazon account and USPS tracking that I had a package stolen on Thursday June 21. How do I report this? 911?

      Thank you,
      Holly
    • Godin, Daniel (MPD)
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 25, 2012

        Yes, please call 911. Thank you

        Daniel Godin

        Acting Lieutenant PSA 104

        Metropolitan Police Department

        101 M Street SW, Washington D.C. 20024

        Office (202) 729-2197

        Cell Phone: (202)270-6764

        Email: Daniel.Godin@...

        Grade Your Government!
        Share your thoughts on key DC Government services.
        Check out the new grade.dc.gov and give your feedback via web, text or social media.
        Learn more at
        www.grade.dc.gov

        I have determined through my Amazon account and USPS tracking that I had a package stolen on Thursday June 21. How do I report this? 911?

        Thank you,
        Holly

      • Mike
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 25, 2012
          Hi, Holly

          Sorry to hear about your loss. So others near you would know to on alert....what is your general location?

          Mike
          1300 blk Ives PL SE

        • EmacDon626@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 25, 2012
            Several pkgs were stolen at our door step US Postal left pkg even though no one came to ans the door why would PO leave pkgs?
            Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

            From: "Mike" <m929s2@...>
            Sender: MPD-1D@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 19:16:17 -0400
            To: <MPD-1D@yahoogroups.com>
            ReplyTo: MPD-1D@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: Re: [MPD-1D] Stolen package

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 25, 2012
              Its to my understanding that if the shipper doesn't require a signature upon delivery, then the carrier can just leave the package at the door/porch.

              Mike

            • Djbuckdc@cs.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 25, 2012
                In my experience, letter carriers rarely knock for normal first class/priority    Don't know even if knocking is required.   If a signature is required, they knock & if you're not home you get one of those orange stickers on your door inviting you down to the post office.  As for FedEx & UPS, if it's not signature required they may or may not knock, usually they knock, drop the package & leave.

                Best to have stuff delivered to your office, if you can. Dan

                Several pkgs were stolen at our door step US Postal left pkg even though no one came to ans the door why would PO leave pkgs?
                Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                I have determined through my Amazon account and USPS tracking that I had a package stolen on Thursday June 21. How do I report this? 911?

                Thank you,
                Holly

              • Andrew Schmadel
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 25, 2012
                  You should definitely phone USPS or your local Post Office to let them know that this happened.  They were very helpful the last time that I had a package go missing, and it turned out to be their fault, rather than the result of any sort of theft.  If nothing else, they'll tell your mail carrier to err on the side of caution, and require signatures in the future.

                  The main USPS number is 800-275-8777, and you can find the phone number for your local PO at www.usps.com

                  Andrew

                  --
                  Andrew Schmadel
                  schmod@...
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 25, 2012

                    Friends of mine who are unable to use their workplace for receiving packages have used this with excellent success:

                    Sincerely Yours

                    http://www.yelp.com/biz/sincerely-yours-washington

                    http://local.yahoo.com/info-12365051-sincerely-yours-answering-service-washington

                    --Sarah Cochran--

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 26, 2012
                      Thanks all for the replies. I have reported to USPS. We usually notice a rash of package theft in our area around the holidays, but we've noticed an uptick recently, so be aware.

                      600 block A St NE

                      --- In MPD-1D@yahoogroups.com, "Sarah Cochran" <reg@...> wrote:

                      > Friends of mine who are unable to use their workplace for receiving packages have used this with excellent success:
                      >

                      > Sincerely Yours
                      >
                      > <http://www.yelp.com/biz/sincerely-yours-washington> http://www.yelp.com/biz/sincerely-yours-washington
                      >
                      > <http://local.yahoo.com/info-12365051-sincerely-yours-answering-service-washington> http://local.yahoo.com/info-12365051-sincerely-yours-answering-service-washington
                      >

                      > --Sarah Cochran--

                    • Carrie Russell
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 1, 2014
                        Stolen package

                        We had a package stolen (we believe Wednesday) from our front steps in the 600-700  block 7th Street NE.  I have filed a police report online, and contacted the company for replacement.
                        However, once again it was a Fed Ex delivery, wh
                        o refuse to slide packages out of sight or place under the steps, and sometimes don't even ring the doorbell.   I have never had a USPS or UPS package stolen.  They take great care to hide packages for us.

                        I appreciated the increase in foot patrols right after Christmas and was excited to hear that DC-MPD apprehended a package thief in the surrounding block with the work of
                        patrolling officers who were in street clothes.  Not sure if that package thief is now out of jail and back to his old ways, or if we are the target of another group once again.  I know there was chatter around the same time about the Alley that runs between 7th and 8th (parallel to H street) and the high number of discarded packaged and merchandise found that was clearly stolen goods.  Have the issues been resolved in that Alley?

                        I would
                        like to request more street patrols if possible in this area.   Or any updates on package thefts.  And just an FYI to neighbors in the surrounding blocks to be aware.

                        Hope they like their coffee pods!

                        Carrie

                      • Cullen, Joseph (MPD)
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 1, 2014

                          Carrie;

                          There currently is no additional information regarding package thefts, however I would encourage you to either utilize a different delivery service like you mentioned, select a secure drop-off point, or if possible request specifically from Fed Ex that they must have someone sign for your package.  If any additional information becomes available regarding suspect lookouts we will certainly let everyone know as quickly as possible.

                          Lt J. Cullen

                          Which school will your child call My School? For this coming school year (2014–15), DCPS and participating DC public charter schools will have a single application and lottery. Learn more and apply now at www.MySchoolDC.org. March 3 is the deadline to apply for PK3 through 8th grade. More info about applying for grades 9-12 here.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 1, 2014
                            Fed Ex left our new printer on the porch.  We were home and they did not even bother knocking on the door!  My husband just happened to look outside and saw the new printer sitting there in its big colorful box advertising it's contents, and brought it in before it got stolen.

                            MPD needs to let Fed Ex know that it's delivery people are not doing their jobs and are responsible for a lot of these thefts.

                            Fay
                            13xx K ST SE

                            Sent from my iPad

[...]

                          • Ethel_glen
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 1, 2014
                              I happened to see the new UPS delivery guy in action while I was parking. He literally dropped his delivery at our front door without knocking or ringing the doorbell. He proceeded to run across the next house to do the same. I saw him by chance but couldn't get out of the car to follow him since I had my infant in the car and he was flying!

                              We were at home the other night with the kids being loud and all (clearly visible that we were right there a few steps from the door) and UPS left a package outside (again no knocking). The next morning we found a sign by the door saying that our delivery was under our main steps!

                              I second the opinion that MPD should request all delivery carriers to update their delivery procedures. This is a costly matter for MPD resources, consumers, and our economy. I have seeing many consumer complaints and things don't change in fact they seem to be getting worse.

                              Ethel G

                              8th St SE and East Capitol

                              Sent from my iPhone

                            • EmacDon626@...
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 1, 2014
                                Please if you want to secure your delivery ask for signature necessary at time of order, we have done that, it seems to work for us so far. We have had over 10 pkgs stolen from our front 700 - G Street area - yes many boxes in Alley found
                                Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 1, 2014
                                  I had a box stolen from the 800 block of florida last week. Someone in the 1200 block brought the package and content to men guess the thief does not like my style of shorts. Thanks to the guy that returned them whoever u are.