Jip Coleman Moorefield genealogy

  • rapplee
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 21, 2012
      Am woring on my Moorefield relatives, and would appreciate information on Jip Coleman Moorefield and his son Hubert Jones Moorefield. Am willing to exchange information.
    • Seaver Patricia
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 22, 2012
        Jip (aka Jeppie, Jippy) Coleman Moorefield (1885-1966) was the son of William Thomas Moorefield and Susan Julia Mayhew. He married Effie Boaz Hodges 3 jan 1909 Pittsylvania Co, VA. Effie (1891-1982) was the daughter of Erastus B. Hodges and Fannie Glenn.

        William Thomas was the son of William T. Moorefield and Elizabeth Powell. William Thomas Moorefield and Susan Julia Mayhew married 18 mar 1880 Pittsylvania Co, VA. Susan (1857-1924) was the daughter of Joel Mayhew. WilliamThomas was born c1848 and died c1899 in Pittsylvania Co. I have a note that he was struck and killed by lightning.

        William T. Moorefield and Elizabeth Powell married 23 jan 1836 Halifax Co, VA. Elizabeth (c1819-bef1860) was the daughter of Joshua Powell (Jr.) and Mary Dunkley. William T. Moorefield (c1814-bef aug 1873) was the son of John W. Moorefield and Sally Powell. After Elizabeth (Powell) Moorefield died, William T. Moorefield married 28 jan 1869 Mary J. Barrot, daughter of Piddy Barrot. William T. & Elizabeth were living in Halifax Co, VA in 1840 and had moved to Pittsylvania Co. by 1850.

        John W. Moorefield married Sally Powell married 12 dec 1810 Halifax Co, VA. Sally was the daughter of Joshua Powell (Sr.) and Fanny Willingham. John W and Sally lived in Halifax Co. until after 1840. By 1850 they were living in Henry Co, TN with their younger children and possibly grandchildren of a son who had died. John W. Moorefield (c1786-aft 1850) is thought to have been the son of Wright Moorefield and Nancy Stevens.

        Wright Moorefield married Nancy Stevens 22 dec 1785 Halifax Co, VA. Wright was born c1763 and died c1821 in Halifax Co. Nancy Stevens parents are unknown. The marriage was witnessed by Jeremiah and Molly Stevens, and some have assumed that Jeremiah and Molly were Nancy's parents. However, the marriage book in Halifax Co. VA Court House has a column for parents, which is blank for Wright and Nancy, and a column for witnesses, where Jeremiah and Molly's names are entered. So, possible, but unproved. It is known that Nancy had a daughter named Rebecca Stevens, born c1780, who married Wright's younger, William, 24 jun 1801 Halifax Co, VA (I am descended from William and Rebecca). It is not known whether Rebecca was born out of wedlock or whether Nancy was married to a Stevens and was widowed when she married Wright. Wright Moorefield was the son of John Mo(o)refield, Sr.

        John Mo(o)refield, Sr. was born before 1729 and died about 1811 in Halifax Co, VA. His wife's name was Martha "Patsy", but it is unknown whether she was the mother of all of his children.

        John Moorefield, Sr. was likely the son of Edward Mo(o)refield, who died in Halifax Co, VA in 1785. Edward's wife at the time of his death was Alse. It is unknown whether she was the mother of all of his children. Note: it is not proved that John, Sr. was the son of Edward. Because we do not have dates of birth, the possibility that they were brothers cannot be ruled out.

        Edward Moorefield was born before 1718, probably in New Kent/Hanover Co, VA. In the mid 1730s he appeared on the Partridge Store Accounts in Hanover Co, VA. In the late 1740s he was living in Lunenburg Co, VA, east of the Staunton River. He was living in Halifax Co, VA (west of the Staunton River) by 1756.

        Edward Moorefield's parents are not known. Many assume/claim that his father was the John Morefield who died in Lunenburg Co, VA in 1751. It is likely that Edward and John were closely related, but there are some indications that they were not father and son.

        A John Murfield died 1688 in New Kent Co, VA. It is highly likely that he was the ancestor of Edward Moorefield, but it is not known how they were related or how many generations there were between John and Edward.

      • Leigh Barbour
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 22, 2012
          Hi, I'm the granddaughter of Jip's younger brother who was named Otey. My mother is Sylvia Ree Moorefield. Otey died early in life.

          Message 4 of 5 , May 30 12:36 PM
            I don't have Otey listed in any of my notes. What is His connection?

            --- In MOREFIELDHOMEPLACE@yahoogroups.com, "Leigh Barbour" <wandaseaman27@...> wrote:

            > Hi, I'm the granddaughter of Jip's younger brother who was named Otey. My mother is Sylvia Ree Moorefield. Otey died early in life.
            >
            > --- In MOREFIELDHOMEPLACE@yahoogroups.com, "rapplee" <shrmnrapp14@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Am woring on my Moorefield relatives, and would appreciate information on Jip Coleman Moorefield and his son Hubert Jones Moorefield. Am willing to exchange information.

          • Wanda
            Message 5 of 5 , May 31 5:06 AM
              Otey is Jips youngest brother. He was hit by lightning when his father was killed by lightning. This caused Otey to be sickly and so he died at the age of 37.

              Sent from my iPad