Hello everyone!

  • lbesenyi
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1 4:22 PM
      I just joined the group and am interested in researching my Mofield family line before they left Virginia around the beginning of the 19th century. I am the great-great granddaughter of Theodore D. Mofield, the son of Johnson Mofield and grandson of Martin Mofield. Documents also give the variations of Morefield and Mowfield for both Johnson and Martin. I have just started looking through the files in the group site, so I would greatly appreciate any information on locating copies of documents pertaining to the family in Virginia.

      Thank you,
      Lynsey Mofield-Besenyi
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2 3:35 PM
        Hi, Lynsey, and welcome to the group!

        Martin Morefield/Mofield also had a brother named Johnson (or 1st cousin). We think that Martin's father was Edward Morefield, wife's name unknown. However, it is possible that Martin was the son of Edward's brother, Moore Moorefield. The two were so closely associated with one another that it was very difficult to figure out which children belonged with which of the two brothers. Both Moore and Edward are very likely sons of John Morefield (Sr), who died 1811 in Halifax Co, VA. John Morefield (Sr) is almost certainly the son of Edward Morefield, who died 1785 in Halifax Co, VA. Who Edward's father was is a matter of debate. Some think that Edward's father was the John Morefield who died in Lunenburg Co, VA in 1751. I think Edward was closely related to this John Morefield, but there are reasons to question a father-son relationship, which I have done (verbosely!) on this forum.

        We think that Martin's siblings were:
        Green Morefield c1797-bef 1856
        Johnson Morefield/Mofield c1798-1863
        (possibly) Mary Morefield c.1799
        Frances Morefield c1808-aft 1860 m. Gabriel Adams

        Martin Moorefield married (1) Sarah Weaver 3 sep 1813 Person Co, NC and (2) Mary Polly Weaver 24 sep 1817 Blount Co, TN. We do not know whether Sarah and Mary Polly were related. Apparently, Martin and Sarah had no children who survived to adulthood.

        Martin & Mary's known children were:
        James c1820-1905
        Susan c1822-aft 1880
        Thomas 1826-1894
        Johnson c1830-1882
        Walter Russell 1837-1923

        I have not found Martin in the 1820 or 1830 census. The 1810 and 1820 census are missing for most Tennessee counties. In addition to his marriage in Blount Co, TN in 1817, there is a will, filed in Alabama, that leaves property in Blount Co, TN to Martin Morefield from a Dr. William Thomas. I have visited the Blount County Court House and could find no record of his ever having sold the property. I think I have a copy of the will and will try to find it for you.

        No more time today.

        Pat (Moorefield) Seaver

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3 1:53 PM
          Hi Lynsey,

          A little bit more that I have on Martin Mo(o)refield/Mofield born c1795....

          He appeared on the Halifax Co., VA Personal Property Tax List in 1814 and 1815; he was in the South District.

          I have not found him in the 1820 or 1830 census. He may have been in Blount Co, TN. In 1830 there are two Johnson Morefield households in Smith Co., with different household profiles. He may have been one of them.

          There are discrepancies regarding when he was born. In the 1840 census he was age 30-40, but in order to be on the Halifax Co, VA Personal Property Tax List in 1814, he had to have been born before 1798. He had to be at least age 16 AND head of household. Very few 16 year olds were head of household. He had married in 1813, but perhaps the reason the marriage took place in Caswell Co, NC was because he was underage.

          In 1850 Martin Mowfield was age 50 in Smith Co, TN. In 1860 Martin Mofield was age 65 in Williamson Co, IL.

          I think the age 65 in 1860 seems the most consistent with his first marriage in 1813.

          Somewhere in my files, I have copies of the will of William Thomas, leaving property in Blount Co, TN to Martin Morefield (finding them is another question!). The will was probated in Jackson Co, AL, and there is what is thought to be the original and a copy in the court house. There are a few words missing in the document that is titled "Copy". In the Blount County, TN Will Book #1, the version that is entered first has a final paragraph that does not appear in the version titled "Copy".

          The gravestone of Martin's son, Thomas, says W.T. Mofield. I tend to think that Thomas was named for this Dr. William Thomas.

          Spelling as it appears on the original documents.

          Transcribed by Patricia Seaver
          Blount County, Tennessee Will Book #1
          p. 132

          State of Alabama Jackson County
          Be it remembered that at an Orphans Court began and held at the Court House in the town of Bellefront on the eleventh day of November 1829 for the county of Jackson present the Hon. William S. Comptore Judge of the county court the following order was entered in the minutes of the orphans court to wit. Ordered by the court that citation issue to the next of Kin to William Thomas deceased returnable on the twenty third of the Inst. requiring there to show cause if any they hard or can why a paper purporting to be the nuncupative will of William Thomas should not be admitted to record according to law. That afterwards to wit on the eleventh day of November 1829 a citation issued from the office of the Clerk of the county court in the words and figures following to wit State of Alabama to the Shireff of Jackson County Greeting you are hereby commanded to summon all persons near of Kin to Doctor William Thomas if any to be found in your county to be and appear before the Judge of our County Court at the Court House in the town of Bellefont on the twenty third day of this instant and show cause if (?) or they have or can why a paper
          p. 133
          purporting to be the nuncupative will of William Thomas deceased should not be admitted to record according to law herein fail not and have you there there (sic) this citation Witness Richard B. Clayton Clerk of our said court at Office this 11th of November 1829 and of American independence the fifty fourth year
          Teste R.B. Clayton Clerk
          Issued 11th day of November 1829 upon which is the following endorsements to wit Recd. same day Issued
          Henry Norwood Shff.
          Returned no persons near of Kin to the deceased found in my County November 23, 1829 Henry Norwood Shff and on the 23rd day of November 1829 the following entry and order entered on the minutes of the Orphans Couty to wit--- the nuncupative Will of William Thomas Deceased was this proven by the oaths of Henry F. Scroogs Roan A. Smith and Elijah Hausbrough and ordered by the Judge that the same be admitted to record. /A. The nuncupative of William Thomas who died in Bellefront on Tuesday evening September 28, 1829 and requested in his last moments the following distribution of his property 1st I give and bequeath unto John Wilkerson all my books and medisin forever and the use of my shop and furniture for five years. I also desire that John Wilkerson my horse watch and Holsters forever. 2nd I give and bequeath unto Martin Morefield my house and farm forever. 3rd At the expiration of five years for which I have give my house and furniture in Maryville I give and bequeath the said and houses and furniture to my brothers and Sisters and all other property which may not be otherwise disposed of to be equally divided between them. I wish John McGaha and John Wilkerson to executers to settle all my business
          Witness: Henry F. Scruggs, R.A. Smith, E. Hausbrough

          State of Alabama Jackson County Before me Lyman James Justice of the
          peace in and for the County aforesaid personally appeared Henry F.
          Scroggs Roan A. Smith and Elijah Housbrough and made oath severally
          that they were present at the house of James Foute Esqr in the town of
          Bellefront Alabama when William Thomas died laid during his last
          sickness of which sickness the said Thomas died on the 28 day of
          September 1829 that the said deceased before his death and while he was
          of a sound mind and disposing memory called upon these affiants to take
          notice and to hear testimony that it was his wish and will that
          his property should be disposed of in the manner stated in the annexed
          memorandum which was made and read to him before his death and by his subscribed
          p. 134
          (see note 1) (?) (?) by the said deceased as persons whom he desired to be his Executor.
          Sworn to and subscribed Henry F. Scruggs
          before me this 14th day of October R.A. Smith
          1829. Lymon Jones Justice of the Peace E. Hausebrough
          State of Alabama
          Jackson County.
          Personally appeared before me William S. Compton Judge the County Court (?) and for said County Henry F. Scruggs, Roan A. Smith and elijah Housbrough whose (?) appear to the foregoing affidavit and made oath that the same is substantially true. (?) under my hand and seal this 23 day of November 1829.
          William S. Compton (seal)
          Judge Jackson Cty Court
          State of Alabama
          Jackson County. I Richard B. Clayton Clerk to the County court of the said County of Jackson do testify that the foregoing is a true and faithful transcript from the record of the Orphans Court of the nuncipative will of Doctor William Thomas deceased and (?) of Court and all the papers belonging to the same (?) (?) Office under my hand and private seal (?) being no affixed. Seal at Office this 2nd day of January 1830.
          R. B. Clayton, Clk
          State of Alabama. Jackson County
          William S. Compton Judge of the County Court in and for said County do herby certify that Richard B. Clayton whose name (?) to the foregoing certificate is and was at the time of his signing the same Clerk of our County Court of said County that his certificate is in due form of law, and that full faith and credit is and ought to be given to all his offical acts a such (?) (?) my hand and seal this 4th day of January.
          W.S. Compton
          Judge Jackson Cty Court

          A COPY

          State of Alabama Jackson County
          Be it remembered that at an Orphans Court began and held at the Court House in the town of Bellefront on the eleventh day of November 1829 for the county of Jackson present the
          Hon. William S. Compton Judge of the county court the followiing order was entered in the minutes of the orphans court to wit. Ordered by the court that citation issue to the next of Kin to William Thomas deceased returnable on the twenty third of the Inst. requiring them to show cause if any they have or can why a paper purporting to be the nuncipative will of William Thomas (an?) should not be admitted to record according to Law. That afterwards to wit on the eleventh day of November 1829, a citation issued from the from the office of the Clerk of the county court
          p. 135
          in the words and figures following to wit. State of Alabama to the Sheriff of Jackson County Greeting you are hereby commanded to summon all persons near of Kin to Doctor William Thomas if any to be found in your county to be and appear before the Judge of our County Court at the Court House in the town of Bellefont on the twenty third day of this instant and show cause if any they have or can why a paper purporting to be the nuncupative will of William Thomas deceased should not be admitted to record according to Law. herein fail not and have you there there (sic) this citation, witness Richard B. Clayton Clerk of our said court at Office this 11th of November 1829 and of American independence the fifty fourth year
          Teste R.B. Clayton Clerk

          Issued 11th day of November 1829 upon which is the following endorsements to wit Recd. same day Issued Henry Norwood Shff. Returned no persons near of Kin to the deceased found in my County November 23, 1829 Henry Norwood Shff and on the 23rd day of November 1829 the following entry and order entered on the minutes of the Orphans Couty to wit--- The nuncipative Will of William Thomas Deceased was this proven by the oaths of Henry F. Scroogs Roan A. Smith and Elijah Hausbrough and ordered by the Judge that the same be admitted to record. /A. The nuncupative will of William Thomas who died in Bellefront on Tuesday evening September the twenty eighth 1829 and requested in his last moments the following distribution of his property 1st I give and bequeath unto John Wilkinson all my books and medicines forever and the use of my shop and furniture for five years. I also desire that John Wilkinson shall have my horse watch and holsters forever. 2nd I give and bequeath unto Martin Morefield my house and farm forever. 3rd At the expiration of five years for which I have given my house and furniture in Maryville I give and bequeath the said house and furniture to my brothers and Sisters and all other property which may not be otherwise disposed of to be equally divided among them. I wish John McGaha and John Wilkinson to be my executors to settle all my business
          Witness: Henry F. Scruggs, R.A. Smith, E. Hausbrough

          State of Alabama Jackson County Before me Lyman James Justice of the
          peace in and for the County aforesaid personally appeared Henry F.
          Scroggs Roan A. Smith and Elijah Housbrough and made oath severally
          that they were present at the house of James Foute Esqr in the town of
          Bellefront Alabama when William Thomas Dec�d laid during his last
          sickness of which sickness the said Thomas died on the 28 day of
          September 1829 that the said deceased before his death (see note2)
          memory called upon these affiants to take notice and to hear testimony that it was his wish and will that his property should be disposed of in the manner stated in the annexed
          memorandum which was made and read to him before his death and by his subscribed
          Marked /A and that John McGaha and John Wilkinson were (?) by the said deceased as persons whom he desired to be his Executors.
          Sworn to and subscribed Henry F. Scruggs
          before me this 14th day of October R.A. Smith
          1829. Lyman Jones Justice of the Peace E. Hausebrough
          State of Alabama
          Jackson County.
          Personally appeared before me William S. Compton Judge the County Court of in and forJackson County Henry F. Scruggs, Roan A. Smith and Elijah Housbrough whose names appear to the foregoing affidavit and made oath that the same is substantially true. (?) under my hand and seal this 23 day of November 1829.
          William S. Compton (seal)
          Judge Jackson Cty Court
          State of Alabama
          Jackson County. I Richard B. Clayton Clerk of the County court of the said County of Jackson do certify that the foregoing is a true and faithful transcript from the record of the Orphans of the nuncipative will of Doctor William Thomas Deceased and orders of Court and all the papers belonging to the same in my Office given under my hand and private seal there being no public Seal at Office this 2nd day of January 1830.
          R. B. Clayton, Clk
          State of Alabama

          On Jun 2, 2012, at 6:35 PM, Patricia Seaver wrote:

          > Hi, Lynsey, and welcome to the group!
          >
          > Martin Morefield/Mofield also had a brother named Johnson (or 1st cousin). We think that Martin's father was Edward Morefield, wife's name unknown. However, it is possible that Martin was the son of Edward's brother, Moore Moorefield. The two were so closely associated with one another that it was very difficult to figure out which children belonged with which of the two brothers. Both Moore and Edward are very likely sons of John Morefield (Sr), who died 1811 in Halifax Co, VA. John Morefield (Sr) is almost certainly the son of Edward Morefield, who died 1785 in Halifax Co, VA. Who Edward's father was is a matter of debate. Some think that Edward's father was the John Morefield who died in Lunenburg Co, VA in 1751. I think Edward was closely related to this John Morefield, but there are reasons to question a father-son relationship, which I have done (verbosely!) on this forum.
          >
          > We think that Martin's siblings were:
          > Green Morefield c1797-bef 1856
          > Johnson Morefield/Mofield c1798-1863
          > (possibly) Mary Morefield c.1799
          > Frances Morefield c1808-aft 1860 m. Gabriel Adams
          >
          > Martin Moorefield married (1) Sarah Weaver 3 sep 1813 Person Co, NC and (2) Mary Polly Weaver 24 sep 1817 Blount Co, TN. We do not know whether Sarah and Mary Polly were related. Apparently, Martin and Sarah had no children who survived to adulthood.
          >
          > Martin & Mary's known children were:
          > James c1820-1905
          > Susan c1822-aft 1880
          > Thomas 1826-1894
          > Johnson c1830-1882
          > Walter Russell 1837-1923
          >
          > I have not found Martin in the 1820 or 1830 census. The 1810 and 1820 census are missing for most Tennessee counties. In addition to his marriage in Blount Co, TN in 1817, there is a will, filed in Alabama, that leaves property in Blount Co, TN to Martin Morefield from a Dr. William Thomas. I have visited the Blount County Court House and could find no record of his ever having sold the property. I think I have a copy of the will and will try to find it for you.
          >
          > No more time today.
          >
          > Pat (Moorefield) Seaver
          >

          > On Jun 1, 2012, at 7:22 PM, lbesenyi wrote:
          >
          >> I just joined the group and am interested in researching my Mofield family line before they left Virginia around the beginning of the 19th century. I am the great-great granddaughter of Theodore D. Mofield, the son of Johnson Mofield and grandson of Martin Mofield. Documents also give the variations of Morefield and Mowfield for both Johnson and Martin. I have just started looking through the files in the group site, so I would greatly appreciate any information on locating copies of documents pertaining to the family in Virginia.
          >>
          >> Thank you,
          >> Lynsey Mofield-Besenyi

        • lbesenyi
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 3 9:47 PM
            Hello Pat,

            Thank you for the information; I was only aware of the connection back to Virginia from the census records from 1850 and 1860 and from info in forums and Mr. William Moorefield's history, so I wanted to make sure that I was not missing something and jumping to conclusions. I appreciate the transcript you provided and am glad to know that documents leading back the family in Virginia can still be found.

            Was Martin's son, Johnson Mowfield, the same individual that served in the 64th Virginia Infantry during the Civil War? While living in Illinois, Johnson's birthplace is listed as Virginia rather than Tennessee in 1860.

            Thank you,
            Lynsey Mofield-Besenyi

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 4 4:46 AM
              Hi Lynsey,

              I don't know about the Johnson Mowfield in the Virginia infantry during the Civil War. I don't have another Johnson Morefield or Mofield who could fit, but it seems odd.

              Martin's brother, Johnson Moorefield/Mofield, was born about 1798 and died 9 may 1863 Clay Co, IL. He married Cintha Estes 23 jan 1817 i Halifax Co, VA. They apparently had no children and divorced in IL in 1856. Edward Moorefield gave consent for him to marry. In 1860 he was living in Larkinburg, Clay Co, IL with his sister and brother-in-law, Fanny and Gabriel Adams. Edward Moorefield also signed the marriage certificate for Frances Moorefield to marry Gabriel Adams 21 nov 1824 in Pittsylvania Co., VA.

              The fact that Edward Moorefield signed marriage records for Johnson and Frances/Fanny indicates that their father was Edward, rather than Edward's brother, Moore Moorefield. Based on their migration pattern and naming of children, we think that Martin was also Edward's son, as well as Green Moorefield/Morefield, who moved to Stewart Co, TN and then to Marshall Co, KY. Green named his oldest son Martin A. Morefield.

              One of Moore Moorefield's sons, Julius Strange Moorefield/Morefield also moved to Smith Co, TN (1830), Clay Co, IL (1840), Jefferson Co, IL (1850 and 1860) and Wright Co, MO (1870). We thought at one time that he was another brother of Martin, but his death record gives his middle name as Strange, which was Moore Moorefield's wife's maiden name. Julius and his children kept the Morefield spelling.

              There were other Moorefield/Morefield families who moved to southern IL from Halifax Co, VA. They were all related to each other, and there are indications in the early years there that they were aware that they were related to one another. Basically, all of the Morefield and Mofield families of southern IL are descended from John Moorefield, Sr., who died 1811 in Halifax Co, VA.

              Pat