William A. Morefield

  • Lisa Dauk
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 4, 2012
      Does anyone know what happened to Wm. A. Morefield - when he died and where he is buried. It looks like all his children were raised by other families - the last I could find was 1900 census. Samuel Morefield was my the father of my grandmother Lura Mae - I'm trying to piece his wives - if they remarried and where they are buried. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Lisa
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 5, 2012
        Hi Lisa,

        You probably know that William A. Morefield was married 3 times. Your Samuel was his only known child by his first wife, Eliza A. Buchanan. They married 6 mar 1859 in Washington Co, **VA, but were living in Johnson Co. in 1860:

        He married Melvina M. Love 7 jun 1869 in Washington Co, **TN, but I have not found them in 1870. In 1880 they were in Washington Co, TN, so they probably were in Washington Co, TN in 1870--they may be mis-transcribed on the census index or the census taker just missed them. This may be Eliza in 1870, in which case they had divorced:

        1870 Johnson, TN Taylorsville p. 15 #77/82
        Donnelly, Richard 79
        Rebecca 73
        Robert L. 46
        Jackson W. 33
        Morefield, Eliza A. 24 dom. serv. VA
        Sarah E. 3 TN

        Samuel was apprenticed to William J. Harris, a blacksmith in 1867, and in 1870, Samuel was in the Harris household in Sugar Grove, Watauga Co, NC.

        In 1880 William and Melvina were in Washington Co, TN, but no children.

        He married Malinda J. Griffith 22 apr 1891 in Washington Co, TN and in 1900 they were living in Washington Co, TN with 6 children: Elijah, Rebecca, Retta, Isaac, William Mc, Bonnie May.

        By 1910 Elijah was in McDowell Co, WV, where he married Mary Boen (6 jul 1910; gave his parents' names as William & Josephine, age as 23). Isaac, William, Bonnie May and probably Rebecca were living with other families. In 1920 Isaac was also in McDowell Co, WV. In 1930 Isaac was in Wythe Co, VA.

        So... if you could find a descendant of Elijah or Isaac, maybe they would know what happened to William A. Isaac married 1916 in Pulaski Co, VA. There was a Bonnie Moorefield of the right age living with Mrs. Martha Helton and listed as granddaughter in Tazewell Co. Isaac's son, Albert, married in Pulaski Co, VA.

        TN death records weren't required by law until 1914, but there was a period from 1908-1911 when some counties kept death records. Those records may not be in the state records, but in the county. I found my Dad's birth record in 1911 in Hawkins Co. by accident when I was searching for some of his relatives. So, maybe you should search Washington Co, TN records.

        Pat (Moorefield) Seaver

        On Mar 4, 2012, at 10:29 PM, Lisa Dauk wrote:

        > Does anyone know what happened to Wm. A. Morefield - when he died and where he is buried. It looks like all his children were raised by other families - the last I could find was 1900 census. Samuel Morefield was my the father of my grandmother Lura Mae - I'm trying to piece his wives - if they remarried and where they are buried. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Lisa

      • Phyllis Morefield
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 5, 2012
          I have William A. Morefield's death date as 21 Aug 1908 and the source as
          Civil War Pension Records. I will go back and verify this. I believe the
          minor children are mentioned in that record.
          Phyllis Morefield

          You probably know that William A. Morefield was married 3 times. Your
          Samuel was his only known child by his first wife, Eliza A. Buchanan. They
          married 6 mar 1859 in Washington Co, **VA, but were living in Johnson Co. in
          1860:

          He married Melvina M. Love 7 jun 1869 in Washington Co, **TN, but I have not
          found them in 1870. In 1880 they were in Washington Co, TN, so they
          probably were in Washington Co, TN in 1870--they may be mis-transcribed on
          the census index or the census taker just missed them. This may be Eliza in
          1870, in which case they had divorced:

          1870 Johnson, TN Taylorsville p. 15 #77/82
          Donnelly, Richard 79
          Rebecca 73
          Robert L. 46
          Jackson W. 33
          Morefield, Eliza A. 24 dom. serv. VA
          Sarah E. 3 TN

          Samuel was apprenticed to William J. Harris, a blacksmith in 1867, and in
          1870, Samuel was in the Harris household in Sugar Grove, Watauga Co, NC.

          In 1880 William and Melvina were in Washington Co, TN, but no children.

          He married Malinda J. Griffith 22 apr 1891 in Washington Co, TN and in 1900
          they were living in Washington Co, TN with 6 children: Elijah, Rebecca,
          Retta, Isaac, William Mc, Bonnie May.

          By 1910 Elijah was in McDowell Co, WV, where he married Mary Boen (6 jul
          1910; gave his parents' names as William & Josephine, age as 23). Isaac,
          William, Bonnie May and probably Rebecca were living with other families.
          In 1920 Isaac was also in McDowell Co, WV. In 1930 Isaac was in Wythe Co,
          VA.

          So... if you could find a descendant of Elijah or Isaac, maybe they would
          know what happened to William A. Isaac married 1916 in Pulaski Co, VA.
          There was a Bonnie Moorefield of the right age living with Mrs. Martha
          Helton and listed as granddaughter in Tazewell Co. Isaac's son, Albert,
          married in Pulaski Co, VA.

          TN death records weren't required by law until 1914, but there was a period
          from 1908-1911 when some counties kept death records. Those records may not
          be in the state records, but in the county. I found my Dad's birth record
          in 1911 in Hawkins Co. by accident when I was searching for some of his
          relatives. So, maybe you should search Washington Co, TN records.

          Pat (Moorefield) Seaver

          On Mar 4, 2012, at 10:29 PM, Lisa Dauk wrote:

          > Does anyone know what happened to Wm. A. Morefield - when he died and
          > where he is buried. It looks like all his children were raised by other
          > families - the last I could find was 1900 census. Samuel Morefield was my
          > the father of my grandmother Lura Mae - I'm trying to piece his wives - if
          > they remarried and where they are buried. Any help would be greatly
          > appreciated. Thank you, Lisa

        • Lisa Dauk
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 5, 2012
            Thank you so much - I'm trying to get everything in order - I'm trying to plan a trip to Tennessee and see what I can gather from Tn State Archives in Nashville, then onto Jefferson County to research my Vest line then onto Washington County. Also getting names of family, so while I'm there I could possible meet them and see what they know. Again Thanks!!!

            ________________________________

            You probably know that William A. Morefield was married 3 times.  Your
            Samuel was his only known child by his first wife, Eliza A. Buchanan.  They
            married 6 mar 1859 in Washington Co, **VA, but were living in Johnson Co. in
            1860:

            He married Melvina M. Love 7 jun 1869 in Washington Co, **TN, but I have not
            found them in 1870.  In 1880 they were in Washington Co, TN, so they
            probably were in Washington Co, TN in 1870--they may be mis-transcribed on
            the census index or the census taker just missed them.  This may be Eliza in
            1870, in which case they had divorced:

            1870  Johnson, TN Taylorsville p. 15 #77/82
            Donnelly, Richard 79
            Rebecca 73
            Robert L. 46
            Jackson W. 33
            Morefield, Eliza A. 24 dom. serv. VA
            Sarah E. 3 TN

            Samuel was apprenticed to William J. Harris, a blacksmith in 1867, and in
            1870, Samuel was in the Harris household in Sugar Grove, Watauga Co, NC.

            In 1880 William and Melvina were in Washington Co, TN, but no children.

            He married Malinda J. Griffith 22 apr 1891 in Washington Co, TN and in 1900
            they were living in Washington Co, TN with 6 children:  Elijah, Rebecca,
            Retta, Isaac, William Mc, Bonnie May.

            By 1910 Elijah was in McDowell Co, WV, where he married Mary Boen (6 jul
            1910; gave his parents' names as William & Josephine, age as 23).  Isaac,
            William, Bonnie May and probably Rebecca were living with other families.
            In 1920 Isaac was also in McDowell Co, WV.  In 1930 Isaac was in Wythe Co,
            VA.

            So...  if you could find a descendant of Elijah or Isaac, maybe they would
            know what happened to William A.  Isaac married 1916 in Pulaski Co, VA.
            There was a Bonnie Moorefield of the right age living with Mrs. Martha
            Helton and listed as granddaughter in Tazewell Co.  Isaac's son, Albert,
            married in Pulaski Co, VA.

            TN death records weren't required by law until 1914, but there was a period
            from 1908-1911 when some counties kept death records.  Those records may not
            be in the state records, but in the county.  I found my Dad's birth record
            in 1911 in Hawkins Co. by accident when I was searching for some of his
            relatives.  So, maybe you should search Washington Co, TN records.

            Pat (Moorefield) Seaver

            On Mar 4, 2012, at 10:29 PM, Lisa Dauk wrote:

            > Does anyone know what happened to Wm. A. Morefield - when he died and
            > where he is buried. It looks like all his children were raised by other
            > families - the last I could find was 1900 census. Samuel Morefield was my
            > the father of my grandmother Lura Mae - I'm trying to piece his wives - if
            > they remarried and where they are buried.  Any help would be greatly
            > appreciated. Thank you, Lisa

          • Lisa Dauk
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 5, 2012
> [...]

              married in Pulaski Co, VA.

              TN death records weren't required by law until 1914, but there was a period
              from 1908-1911 when some counties kept death records.  Those records may not
              be in the state records, but in the county.  I found my Dad's birth record
              in 1911 in Hawkins Co. by accident when I was searching for some of his
              relatives.  So, maybe you should search Washington Co, TN records.

              Pat (Moorefield) Seaver

              On Mar 4, 2012, at 10:29 PM, Lisa Dauk wrote:

              > Does anyone know what happened to Wm. A. Morefield - when he died and
              > where he is buried. It looks like all his children were raised by other
              > families - the last I could find was 1900 census. Samuel Morefield was my
              > the father of my grandmother Lura Mae - I'm trying to piece his wives - if
              > they remarried and where they are buried.  Any help would be greatly

            • jewel shortt
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 5, 2012
                HI Lisa:   I am Jewel Morefield-Shortt, my great grandfather owned land in Johnson Co. Tn, my father, Fred Morefield bought 5 acres of the property, it was in our family until my parents passed & my brother sold the property about 4 yrs ago. I have some info on the Morefield's. If you would like the info email me & i could mail it to you or when you come to this area we could meet & exchange info.  Thanks, Jewel Morefield- Shortt

                Always remember to stop and smell the roses!

                ________________________________
> [...]

                married in Pulaski Co, VA.

                TN death records weren't required by law until 1914, but there was a period
                from 1908-1911 when some counties kept death records.  Those records may not
                be in the state records, but in the county.  I found my Dad's birth record
                in 1911 in Hawkins Co. by accident when I was searching for some of his
                relatives.  So, maybe you should search Washington Co, TN records.

                Pat (Moorefield) Seaver

                On Mar 4, 2012, at 10:29 PM, Lisa Dauk wrote:

                > Does anyone know what happened to Wm. A. Morefield - when he died and
                > where he is buried. It looks like all his children were raised by other
                > families - the last I could find was 1900 census. Samuel Morefield was my
                > the father of my grandmother Lura Mae - I'm trying to piece his wives - if
                > they remarried and where they are buried.  Any help would be greatly

              • Lisa Dauk
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 10, 2012
                  Hi Jewel - Thank you so much - what area are you in, so I can see how it fits into our travels.  Trying to figure out the Morefield line as been such a  challange for me, so I am grateful for any help.  Thanks Lisa

                  ________________________________
> [...]

                  married in Pulaski Co, VA.

                  TN death records weren't required by law until 1914, but there was a period
                  from 1908-1911 when some counties kept death records.  Those records may not
                  be in the state records, but in the county.  I found my Dad's birth record
                  in 1911 in Hawkins Co. by accident when I was searching for some of his
                  relatives.  So, maybe you should search Washington Co, TN records.

                  Pat (Moorefield) Seaver

                  On Mar 4, 2012, at 10:29 PM, Lisa Dauk wrote:

                  > Does anyone know what happened to Wm. A. Morefield - when he died and
                  > where he is buried. It looks like all his children were raised by other
                  > families - the last I could find was 1900 census. Samuel Morefield was my
                  > the father of my grandmother Lura Mae - I'm trying to piece his wives - if
                  > they remarried and where they are buried.  Any help would be greatly

                • jewel shortt
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 10, 2012
                    Hi Lisa I live in the Bristol area as I am sure you know is in Washington County Va. Do you know what month you will be coming through here I would hate to miss you. Jewel