Obit for Dennis Edward Morefield son of Dennis Ray Morefield Decended of Wright.

  • Robert M
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 19, 2011
      Let me add to this obit, Dennis was my brother I received the call that he was going home from the hospital on the 15th of September after he had ask that they turn off all of his life support. He was expected to live only three days. I was in the air the next morning in St. Louis and arrived at his home that afternoon. I was with him the rest of that day and all of the next day until he passed just before midnight.

      Dennis was the son of Dennis Ray Morefield and Laura Elizabeth Thornsberry. He was born in Du Quoin, Perry County, Illinois. He was buried near his home in California.
      Bob Morefield
      Obit
      Dennis Moreland, former editor of the Simi Valley Enterprise.
      A veteran newsman who played a decisive role in helping shape the profile of the city in its early years was saluted Monday when the Simi Valley City Council adjourned in his honor.
      Dennis Edward Morefield, editor of the Simi Valley Enterprise-Sun & News from 1969 to 1975, died Sept. 17 at his Agoura Hills home surrounded by family and friends. Morefield, 77, had battled congestive heart failure for more than five years.
      A hard-hitting journalist who helped lead the charge against a proposed gambling club ballot measure, Morefield"spearheaded getting people involved," said Simi Mayor Bob Huber, a close friend. The measure's defeat "changed forever" the profile of the city, Huber said, because had gambling interests secured a toehold, Simi would not have been selected as site of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library & Museum.
      "He was a good steward of our community," said Huber, who spoke Saturday at Morefield's memorial service at Conejo Valley Community Church in Thousand Oaks. Morefield was cremated and laid to rest Friday at Pierce Brothers Valley Oaks Memorial Park in West lake Village.
      Born Aug 15, 1934, in DuQuoin, Ill. Morefield studied journalism at Illinois University. He worked at the DuQuoin Evening Call from 1955-1959 before joining the John P. Scripps Newspaper Group and heading to California with wife Lillie Jane Kopp. The couple were married in 1956 and have two sons. Brian Morefield and his family live in Newbury Park;and Bart Morefield and his family live in Roseville.
      Before his stint at The Enterprise,Morefield was sports editor for the Redding Record Searchlight and managing editor of the Tulare Advanced Register, both owned by John P. Scripps at the time. He arrived in Simi Valley just weeks after the city's 1969 incorporation.
      During his Enterprise tenure, Morefield and staff tallied numerous awards from the California Newspaper Publishers Association in the newspapers over 7,500-circulation category,including for Morefield's series of editorials renouncing the gambling initiative.
      Active in the community, including as a Little League team manager and coach, Morefield was awarded the Simi Valley Chamber of Commerce's President's Award in 1971.
      After leaving The Enterprise, Morefield was city editor for the Decatur Herald and Review in Decatur, Ill, and then managing editor and editor of the Santa Monica Evening Outlook. In 1980 he became press deputy for Los Angeles County Supervisor Dean Dana and worked for him the 16 years he held office. On Sept. 20 the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors adjourned in Morefield's honor.
      Former Enterprise staff members recall Morefield as a talented journalist and strong mentor.
      "I remember Dennis' great leadership skills," said former Enterprise Sports Editor Gerry Price, now city editor/assignments for the Antelope Valley Press. "It was a great time to be in journalism and Dennis developed one heck of a newspaper at the time."
      "He developed a lot of young people who were there," Price said. "He didn't try to over coach me,but if I needed advice, he'd give it to me."
      Although The Enterprise was then a triweekly paper, Morefield ran it like a daily, determined to give readers a "breaking news" look at their community, recalls Rich Heintz of Napa. A tobacco control advocate for a statewide association and anti-tobacco organization, he was Morefield's news editor.
      "He was an intelligent journalist who knew how to ask the right questions. His curiosity was inexhaustible."
      John Rogers, now with The Associated Press, was hired by Morefield straight out of CSU Northridge and eventually became Simi's managing editor.
      "He was a hard-hitting editorial writer. He could be stern but he was always very fair and he had a good sense of humor," Rogers said.
      Morefield's humor, honesty and ability to face things head on were honed early in life. At 8 weeks old he was diagnosed with a rare form of "infantile" cancer now known as sarcoma and had his arm amputated.
      "Other than the physically obvious, dad never let anyone treat him differently. He was known to be quick-witted and broached the subject of his missing arm with humor then honesty before moving on," son Brian said.
      As a teen, Morefield was a talented baseball pitcher who got a tryout in 1953 with the St. Louis Browns, just before the team moving to Baltimore and becoming the Orioles.
      "While the scout told my father he was a good enough pitcher to consider signing, he felt hitters would exploit him by bunting the ball on him all the time," Brian Morefield said. Instead of baseball, Morefield played hardball in the media.
    • Roger Hastings
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 19, 2011
        I'm very sorry to hear about your brother, Bob.

        Roger