Obit from Winston-Salem, NC Journal

  • JoM
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 14, 2011
      Mrs. Elzie Moorefield Rhodes, 86, passed away peacefully on Saturday, February 12, 2011, at Moses Cone Hospital with family gathered by her bedside. She was a devoted mother, grandmother and great-grandmother. Funeral services will be held at 11:00 a.m., Monday, February 14, 2011, at Oak Grove Baptist Church, of which she was a member, with Dr. James Wall officiating. Interment will follow in the church Cemetery. Elzie was born on January 20, 1925 in Stokes County, NC to the late John Wesley and Mary Hester Tilley Moorefield. After retiring from Gem Dandy, she operated child care in her home for 15 years. All of them still remember and visited, corresponded and adored her. She enjoyed cooking and baking for family and friends and enjoyed listening to local bluegrass and Christian performers. In addition to her parents, she was predeceased by her husband, Bill McCall Rhodes in August, 2006; brother, Gilbert Moorefield; sisters, Zilla Joyce and Othelia Wilkins and daughter-in-law, Mabel Rhodes. She is survived by her son, Don Rhodes of Clemmons; Rick Fulp and wife, Terry of Belmont; daughter, Jo Ann Johnson and husband, Gray of Madison; grandchildren, Brandon Johnson and wife Christy and Eric Johnson, all of Madison, and Ricky Parnell and wife, Katie of Charlotte; great-grandchildren, Austin, Abbi and Ashton Gray Johnson and Jayden Parnell; sister-in-laws, Shirley Moorefield and Annie Rhodes; numerous nieces and nephews that loved her dearly and will miss her warm smile. The family will receive friends from 6:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m., Sunday, February 13, 2011, at Ray Funeral Home. The family would like to thank her caregivers, Christy Johnson and Rose Mabe for their tireless devotion and help. They would also like to thank the doctors and nurses of Moses Cone Hospital. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to Oak Grove Baptist Church, 4543 NC 772, Madison, NC 27025 or to the American Cancer Society , c/o Carolyn VanHoy, 1100 Wilkins Street, Mayodan, NC 27027. Online condolences may be sent to www.rayfuneralhome.com. Ray Funeral Home in Madison is serving the family. Published in Winston-Salem Journal on February 13, 2011
    • JoM
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 26, 2012
        Mr. Bobby Bruce Moorefield Sr., age 76, husband of Brenda Ray Moorefield, of Kernersville, NC passed away Saturday evening, September 22, 2012 at the Kate B. Reynolds Hospice Home in Winston-Salem. He was born in Patrick County Virginia to the late Charles and Lucy Handy Moorefield. Mr. Moorefield was a retired employee of United Metal in Kernersville, a Veteran having serving in the U. S. Army, a volunteered with Habitat for Humanity, NC Friends For Disaster, and was a member and past Elder of Kernersville Presbyterian Church.
        Surviving are his wife of 52 years, Brenda Ray Moorefield, of the home, One daughter: Cynthia Linville and friend Jerry, Odessa Texas. Three sons and daughters-in-law: Bobby and Lori Moorefield, Pfafftown, Charles Reid and Johnsie Moorefield, Lexington, David Reece and Joy Moorefield, Stokesdale, NC five grandchildren: Patrice, Ashley, Christy, Ben, and J.R., five great grandchildren: Macquela, Dallas, Maisie, Cassidy, and Trevor, two sisters: Jane and Louise Shelton, one sister-in-law: Lucy Jane Anderson, all of Stuart, VA. Mr. Moorefield was preceded in death by four brothers, Benton Moorefield, Lester Anderson, Herbert Anderson, and Fred Moorefield and a sister, Myrtle Flippin. Memorial service will be conducted 2:00 p.m. Saturday, September 29, 2012 at Francisco Presbyterian Church by Rev. Tracy Collins, and Rev. Clark Vincent. Burial will be in the Ray Family Cemetery. The family will receive friends immediately following the memorial services.
      • Jen
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 26, 2012
          Thanks for posting this. I wanted a copy. Bruce is from my line. His father was Charlie Moorefield who was the son of Thomas Moorefield of Patrick County.

          Jennifer Moorefield
          Danville, VA

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Sep 26, 2012, at 10:30 AM, "JoM" <jomartin01@...> wrote:

          > Mr. Bobby Bruce Moorefield Sr., age 76, husband of Brenda Ray Moorefield, of Kernersville, NC passed away Saturday evening, September 22, 2012 at the Kate B. Reynolds Hospice Home in Winston-Salem. He was born in Patrick County Virginia to the late Charles and Lucy Handy Moorefield. Mr. Moorefield was a retired employee of United Metal in Kernersville, a Veteran having serving in the U. S. Army, a volunteered with Habitat for Humanity, NC Friends For Disaster, and was a member and past Elder of Kernersville Presbyterian Church.
          > Surviving are his wife of 52 years, Brenda Ray Moorefield, of the home, One daughter: Cynthia Linville and friend Jerry, Odessa Texas. Three sons and daughters-in-law: Bobby and Lori Moorefield, Pfafftown, Charles Reid and Johnsie Moorefield, Lexington, David Reece and Joy Moorefield, Stokesdale, NC five grandchildren: Patrice, Ashley, Christy, Ben, and J.R., five great grandchildren: Macquela, Dallas, Maisie, Cassidy, and Trevor, two sisters: Jane and Louise Shelton, one sister-in-law: Lucy Jane Anderson, all of Stuart, VA. Mr. Moorefield was preceded in death by four brothers, Benton Moorefield, Lester Anderson, Herbert Anderson, and Fred Moorefield and a sister, Myrtle Flippin. Memorial service will be conducted 2:00 p.m. Saturday, September 29, 2012 at Francisco Presbyterian Church by Rev. Tracy Collins, and Rev. Clark Vincent. Burial will be in the Ray Family Cemetery. The family will receive friends immediately following the memorial services.

        • karghi
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 5, 2013
            Can anyone tell me where the "Anderson" brothers in this obit for Bobby come from? I have Bobby Bruce Moorefield as the son of Lucy Lee Handy and Charles Walter Moorefield but didn't show Lester Anderson, Herbert Anderson, or Myrtle as their children... but then again his other siblings weren't mentioned in the obit either (e.g. Louise Marie, Edith Jane, and Charles Benton) so I'm confused. Help?

            --- In MOREFIELDHOMEPLACE@yahoogroups.com, Jen wrote:

            > Thanks for posting this. I wanted a copy. Bruce is from my line. His father was Charlie Moorefield who was the son of Thomas Moorefield of Patrick County.
            >
            > Jennifer Moorefield
            > Danville, VA
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone
            >
            > On Sep 26, 2012, at 10:30 AM, "JoM" wrote:
            >
            > > Mr. Bobby Bruce Moorefield Sr., age 76, husband of Brenda Ray Moorefield, of Kernersville, NC passed away Saturday evening, September 22, 2012 at the Kate B. Reynolds Hospice Home in Winston-Salem. He was born in Patrick County Virginia to the late Charles and Lucy Handy Moorefield. Mr. Moorefield was a retired employee of United Metal in Kernersville, a Veteran having serving in the U. S. Army, a volunteered with Habitat for Humanity, NC Friends For Disaster, and was a member and past Elder of Kernersville Presbyterian Church.
            > > Surviving are his wife of 52 years, Brenda Ray Moorefield, of the home, One daughter: Cynthia Linville and friend Jerry, Odessa Texas. Three sons and daughters-in-law: Bobby and Lori Moorefield, Pfafftown, Charles Reid and Johnsie Moorefield, Lexington, David Reece and Joy Moorefield, Stokesdale, NC five grandchildren: Patrice, Ashley, Christy, Ben, and J.R., five great grandchildren: Macquela, Dallas, Maisie, Cassidy, and Trevor, two sisters: Jane and Louise Shelton, one sister-in-law: Lucy Jane Anderson, all of Stuart, VA. Mr. Moorefield was preceded in death by four brothers, Benton Moorefield, Lester Anderson, Herbert Anderson, and Fred Moorefield and a sister, Myrtle Flippin. Memorial service will be conducted 2:00 p.m. Saturday, September 29, 2012 at Francisco Presbyterian Church by Rev. Tracy Collins, and Rev. Clark Vincent. Burial will be in the Ray Family Cemetery. The family will receive friends immediately following the memorial services.

          • Seaver Patricia
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 5, 2013
              My files show that Lucy Lee Handy was married to an Anderson before she married Charles Walter Moorefield. She was born 1893 and married Charles Walter 1926, when she would have been about 33 years old, so that's very possible. Charles Walter Moorefield married Eva Hall 16 nov 1919 Patrick Co, VA. Eva died 18 oct 1923 in Patrick Co. Fred Lee and Alvin were Charles Walter's sons by Eva Hall.

              Here is the 1930 census:
              1930 Dan River, Patrick Co, VA p. 5B
              Charley W. morefield 37
              Lucy L. 36
              Freddie L. 9 son
              Louise M 2 7mo dau
              Herbert H. Anderson 16 stepson
              T. Lester Anderson 13 stepson
              Myrtle L. Anderson 11 stepdau
              Adam J. Handy 78 father-in-law

              Pat (Moorefield) Seaver

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 7, 2013
                Thank you, Pat. I've corrected my DB and will do more research for this. Appreciate the help!