James William Morefield

  • Robert R. Morefield
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 9 2:01 PM
      I located this death certificate today.

      James William Morefield
      Died in Guilford County, North Carolina
      Moorhead Township
      His wife was Mary Mills
      born 16 Feb 1851 Stokes County, NC
      died 1 Oct 1923
      Father: Wright Morefield of VA
      Mother: Jane Martin of VA
      Informant was Mrs. J. W. Morefield of Greensboro, N.C.
      buried at Guilford College Cemetery 3 Oct 1923
      Registration # 41-5528

      Robert R. Morefield
    • Sandra Hart
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 10 5:53 PM
        Who is James Harding Moorefield? I had him as the son James of Wright
        with a note that it had to be wrong (because the birth dates I had for
        him and his wife Mary Polly Powell) weren't credible.
        Thanks for the info.
        Sandy

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 11 1:03 AM
          James Harding Morefield was the son of Wright and Nancy (Stevens)
          Morefield. Wright and Nancy married 1785. James Harding Morefield
          was b. 1790 and married Mary/Polly Powell 1816.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 11 5:09 AM
            I have James Harding and Mary/Polly (Powell) Morefield's children as:
            Elizabeth, Joshua, Fleming,Nancy, Sarah Jane, Frances/Fanny, James
            Henry, Harriet, Rebecca Angeline, William H. (maybe Harrison), Susan.

            James Henry Morefield married Nancy Adaline Morefield, d/o Josiah and
            Ruth (keaton) Morefield. Josiah was the son of William Morefield, who
            was James Harding Morefield's uncle.

            Josiah Morefield was a brother of my Allen Morefield and Sandy's Nancy
            Morefield. Allen Morefield married Martha Harris and Nancy Morefield
            married Martha Harris' brother, Joseph Harris.

            Mary Rebecca Moorefield was the d/o Wright D. and Jane (Martin)
            Moorefield. Mary Rebecca m. Robert Boaz.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 11 6:45 AM
              I see what I did - - I had him as the son of Wright Morefield and Jane
              Martin even tho' birth dates are clearly wrong.
              Just t double check - - Did they have 11 children? Elizabeth,
              Fleming, Nancy, frances, Sarah Jane, Susan, Florence, Joshua, Wm
              Harrison, Mary Rebecca, Harriet, Rebecca Angeline?
              Sandy

              On Jul 11, 2009, at 1:03 AM, Patricia Seaver wrote:

              > James Harding Morefield was the son of Wright and Nancy (Stevens)
              > Morefield. Wright and Nancy married 1785. James Harding Morefield
              > was b. 1790 and married Mary/Polly Powell 1816.
              >
              > On Jul 11, 2009, at 12:53 AM, Sandra Hart wrote:
              >
              > > Who is James Harding Moorefield? I had him as the son James of
              > Wright
              > > with a note that it had to be wrong (because the birth dates I had
              > for
              > > him and his wife Mary Polly Powell) weren't credible.
              > > Thanks for the info.
              > > Sandy

            • Robert R. Morefield
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 12 8:53 AM
                Sandy,

                What I have found in the Census information which I will list below was they James William Morefield and Mary J. Mills had 11 children with 10 living.

                Census Records
                --------------
                1880 Stokes County, North Carolina Census
                Sauratown En 253 Page 13
                Enumerated on 8 Jan 1880
                96/97
                James W. Mofield head age 29 Farmer VA VA VA
                Mary J. Mofield Wife age 28 VA VA VA
                J. Robert Mofield Son age 6 NC VA VA
                J. William Mofield Son age 4 NC VA VA
                Cassie Lee Mofield Dau age 2 NC VA VA
                Charley Boza Nephew age 18 VA VA VA
                Sam Mills Brother-in-Law age20 NC VA VA
                --------------------------
                1900 Stokes County, North Carolina Census
                Souratown Township En 98 Sheet 1 A Enumerator James R. Morefield
                Enumerated on 1 Jun 1900
                1/1
                James W. Morefield Head born Feb 1851 age 49 M27 Farmer VA VA VA
                Mary J. Morefield Wife born Jan 1852 age 48 M27 11/10 VA VA VA
                Susie M. Morefield Dau born Oct 1880 age 19 NC VA VA
                Charles H. Morefield Son born Oct 1882 age 17 NC VA VA
                Jones L. Morefield Son born Aug 1884 age 17 NC VA VA
                John L. Morefield Son born Jan 1888 age 12 NC VA VA
                Mary J. Morefield Son born Aug 1889 age 10 NC VA VA
                George H. Morefield Son born Nov 1892 age 7 NC VA VA
                Lula R. Morefield Dau born Feb 1895 age 5 NC VA VA
                John W. Brim born Aug 1861 age 38 VA VA VA
                ------------------
                1910 Guilford County, North Carolina Census
                Friedship EN 96 Sheet 1 B
                Enumerated on 15 Apr 1910
                8/9
                James W. Morefield Head age 59 M37 Farmer VA VA VA
                Mary Morefield Wife age 58 M37 11/10 VA VA VA
                John L. Morefield Son age 21 NC VA VA
                Mami Morefield Dau age 19 NC VA VA
                George H . Morefield age 17 Farm Labor NC VA VA
                Lula B. Morefield Dau age 15 NC VA VA
                -----------------

                I noted that James R. Morefield took the 1900 census but was he the son of James and Mary J. or another Morefield.

                hope this helps.

                Bob Morefield

                --- In MOREFIELDHOMEPLACE@yahoogroups.com, Sandra Hart <sandyhart@...> wrote:

                > I see what I did - - I had him as the son of Wright Morefield and Jane
                > Martin even tho' birth dates are clearly wrong.
                > Just t double check - - Did they have 11 children? Elizabeth,
                > Fleming, Nancy, frances, Sarah Jane, Susan, Florence, Joshua, Wm
                > Harrison, Mary Rebecca, Harriet, Rebecca Angeline?
                > Sandy
                >

                > On Jul 11, 2009, at 1:03 AM, Patricia Seaver wrote:
                >

                > > James Harding Morefield was the son of Wright and Nancy (Stevens)
                > > Morefield. Wright and Nancy married 1785. James Harding Morefield
                > > was b. 1790 and married Mary/Polly Powell 1816.
                > >
                > > On Jul 11, 2009, at 12:53 AM, Sandra Hart wrote:
                > >
                > > > Who is James Harding Moorefield? I had him as the son James of
                > > Wright
                > > > with a note that it had to be wrong (because the birth dates I had
                > > for
                > > > him and his wife Mary Polly Powell) weren't credible.
                > > > Thanks for the info.
                > > > Sandy

              • Sandra Hart
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 12 6:39 PM
                  thanks - - I"ll add that to my MFLD file. I haven't done any work on
                  that line of ancestors (except Nancy Morefield and her children)
                  because y'all have done such a thorough job. I wish I could have been
                  so lucky to have found such a wealth of information for some of my
                  other ancestors!
                  Sandy