Caroline County, Va. Morefield records

  • WILLIAM FRANK MOOREFIELD, III
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
      This is Bill Moorefield from Martinsville, Va. Last week, my
      wife Judy and I went to Richmond to spend some time with our older
      son Will, and his wife Landon, and our grandaughter, Addison. Being
      the avid genalogy fan that she is, Judy suggested that I drive to a
      nearby courthouse for research; (if you believe that, I'd like for
      you to invest in a bridge I own in San Francisco). Anyway, on Monday
      morning I drove up to Bowling Green, Va., county seat of Caroline
      County.

      My findings:

      1. On 10-25-1927, Willie Blanch Morefield, daughter of John H. and
      Emma Morefield, married Frederck D. Durrett, son of Lewis J. and
      Blanche Durrett. She was thirty; he was twenty, (that's right), and
      both single. She was born in Johnson County, Tenn., and he in
      Caroline Co. They both resided in Blantons, Va, and the service was
      performed by Richard R. Burnette.

      2. On 2-2-1928, Henry M. Morefield, also son of John and Emma
      listed above, married Nola E. Crisp, daughter of John J. and Bertha
      L. Crisp. He was twenty-three, she nineteen, and both single. He was
      born in Tenn., and she in Wilkes County, NC. He lived in Blantons,
      Va. and she in Hewlett, Va.

      3. On 6-9-1962, Willie and Henry's nephew, Stuart Landrum
      Morefield married Doris Lee Flippin. He was son of Elmer Clyde
      Morefield, brother of Willie and Henry, and Hattie Phillipi. She was
      daughter of Joseph Nelson Flippin and Sallie Burns, and bride and
      groom were both twenty-four and single. He was born in
      Fredericksburg, Va., and she in Caroline Co.

      4. On 11-12-1982, the will of William Rice Morefield, was proved
      in court, and Edna M. Morefield was named executrix. His will was
      written on 5-4-1967, and he died on 10-27-1982. I found no other data
      on him.

      The records in this office are not well organized, and I was told
      that other records are to be found in Fredericksburg. From Pat
      Seaver's work, it appears that John and Mary Emma moved from JCT to
      Spottsylvania County, Va. between 1900 and 1910. I have talked by
      phone to a couple of other descendants of theirs in the Richmond area
      in the past, but they knew little of their ancestry. With that, I'll
      ask Pat to fill everyone in on John's origins, as she has determined.

      Cousin Bill.
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
        Bill,

        Thanks for the new data. The parents were John Henry Morefield and
        Mary Emma Fritts, who married 25 dec 1895 Johnson Co, TN. John Henry
        was probably the son of Zachary T. Morefied and Mary Hall, who
        married 7 jul 1870 Johnson County, TN. Zachary T. Morefield was the
        son of Gabriel Morefield and Sally Robinson, who married 12 sep 1833
        Surry Co, NC. It is possible that Gabriel Morefield was the son of
        an earlier Gabriel Morefield, but there are some discrepancies in age
        that raise a question about that.

        Pat (Moorefield) Seaver

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2009
          On Mar 1, 2009, at 6:57 PM, WILLIAM FRANK MOOREFIELD, III wrote:

          > On 11-12-1982, the will of William Rice Morefield, was proved
          > in court, and Edna M. Morefield was named executrix. His will was
          > written on 5-4-1967, and he died on 10-27-1982. I found no other data
          > on him.

          This took me a while to find, since I had his middle initial, but not
          middle name.
          Social security death index: William R. Morefield b. 12 sep 1905
          Pittsylvania Co, Va
          d. 27 Oct 1982 Caroline Co, VA SS# issued Washington, DC
          Edna Morefield b. 21 feb 1912 d. 22 jan 1986 Caroline Co, VA SS#
          issued Washington, DC

          William Rice Morefield was the s/o Luther Daniel Morefield and Annie
          E. Hood, who married 8 feb 1899 Guilford Co, NC.
          Luther Daniel Morefield was the s/o Daniel W. Morefield and Mary Ann
          Spencer who married 24 may 1860 Halifax Co, VA;
          Daniel W. Morefield was the s/o Richard Morefield and Mary McKenna,
          who married 12 nov 1819 Halifax Co, VA; Mary Ann Spencer was the d/o
          Robert and Elizabeth Spencer
          Richard Morefield was the s/o John Morefield, Jr. and Winifred Bruce,
          who married 17 may 1787 Halifax Co, VA
          John Morefield, Jr. was the s/o John Morefield, Sr.; Winifred Bruce
          was the d/o John Bruce
          John Morefield, Sr. thought to have been the s/o Edward Morefield,
          who d. 1785 Halifax Co, VA