Daniel Mofield

  • j.lawless_74
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 23, 2008
      I am a great grand son of Daniel Mofieldb. 1907 in wilson county
      tennessee and d. 12 dec 1931 married Margaret Christine Baskett. I am
      lookin for information on Margarets Family and all i can on the
      Mofields.......mainly stories and such. Daniel died when my grandmother
      was 1 so she dont know anything about him i do have a couple pictures
      though thank you in advance
      Jason Lawless
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 23, 2008
        Hi Jason,

        Welcome to the group. Your Daniel m. Margaret 23 jun 1927 in Sumner
        Co, TN. He was the son of James Daniel Mofield and Malissa Belle
        Johns, who married 1 jul 1896 Smith Co, TN. I have James Daniel's
        dates as b. 12 jan 1864 d. 22 dec 1948 Wilson Co, TN and Malissa's as
        b. 1875 d. 3 jul 1952 Williamson Co., TN.

        James Daniel Mofield was the son of William B. and Mary (Romack)
        Mofield, who married 28 nov 1857 Smith Co. TN. William B. was born 4
        mar 1837 and died between 1905 and 1910. Mary was born @1840 and
        died 9 sep 1914.

        William B. Mofield was the son of James Mofield/Morefield and Rachel
        Craig; no marriage record found, as far as I know. James was b.
        @1820 TN and died @1905 Smith Co, TN. Rachel was b. @1811 and died
        before 1900.

        James Mofield/Morefield was almost certainly Martin Morefield/Mofield
        and Mary Polly Weaver, who married 24 sep 1817 Blount Co, TN. Martin
        was b. @1795 Halifax Co, VA and died between 1860 and 1870 in
        Williamson Co, IL. Mary Polly was b. @1800 in VA and died after
        1860, probably in Williamson Co, IL.

        Martin was in Halifax Co. VA in 1814 and 1815, in Blount Co, TN 1817
        and 1829, in Smith Co, TN in 1830, 1840, and 1850, and in Williamson
        Co, IL in 1860. We know of only 4 children of Martin and Mary Polly--
        James, Thomas, Johnson, and Walter Russell. When Martin & Mary Polly
        moved to IL, James & Rachel stayed in TN.

        Martin was the son of either Edward Morefield or Moore Morefield
        (probably Edward). Edward and Moore were brothers, the sons of John
        Morefield, Sr., whose wife was Martha Patsy (we don't know for sure
        whether she was the mother of all of John's children. John was
        likely the son of another Edward Morefield, who died 1785 in Halifax
        Co, VA. The older Edward and John were in Halifax Co. by 1756.
        Before that, Edward was in Lunenburg Co, VA and before that in
        Hanover Co, VA. Some believe that Edward was the son of a John
        Morefield who died in Lunenburg Co. in 1751; I have doubts about
        that, but think that they were related in some way--perhaps uncle/
        nephew or even brothers.

        The name was almost always Morefield or Moorefield in VA & NC, but
        when Morefields began to cross the mountains into TN, KY, and
        southern IL, the spelling changed to Mofield for some (but not all).
        That change is not unusual, given the pronunciation of "r" in
        southside VA and the much "harder" "r" west of the mountains.

        Pat (Moorefield) Seaver

        On Jul 23, 2008, at 4:35 PM, j.lawless_74 wrote:

        > I am a great grand son of Daniel Mofieldb. 1907 in wilson county
        > tennessee and d. 12 dec 1931 married Margaret Christine Baskett. I am
        > lookin for information on Margarets Family and all i can on the
        > Mofields.......mainly stories and such. Daniel died when my
        > grandmother
        > was 1 so she dont know anything about him i do have a couple pictures
        > though thank you in advance
        > Jason Lawless

      • Jason
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 23, 2008
          thank you very much Patricia

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 6, 2009
            Roger,

            This is **very** interesting, and I agree with you that it must be
            more than a coincidence. I had never seen this marriage record.

            Like you, I have never found Martin Morefield/Mofield in 1830, but I
            did find an 1829 will in Blount Co, TN naming him as one of the
            legatees, so he may still have been there, but either wasn't
            enumerated for some reason, or his name is mistranscribed or something.

            What I have found for 1830 is that the 1830 Smith Co, TN census has
            two entries for Johnson Morefield, with two different family profiles
            and on two different pages. On p. 123 Johnson is next door to
            Julius. That family consists of:
            1 male under age 5
            1 male age 5-10
            1 male age 30-40
            1 female under age 5
            1 female age 10-15
            2 females age 20-30

            On p. 58 the other household for Johnson is:
            1 male under age 5
            1 male age 5-10
            1 male age 20-30
            1 male age 40-50
            1 female age 5-10
            1 female age 10-15
            1 female age 20-30
            1 female age 30-40
            This looks like two families in the same dwelling, maybe??

            I have found absolutely no record of a second Johnson Morefield or
            Mofield living at this time. Martin's son, Johnson, was apparently
            born about 1830. I think that one of those two census records is
            another Morefield/Mofield--possibly Martin & Polly??

            By the way, Bob Morefield of Murphysboro, IL found the death record of
            Julius' son, Green Crawford Morefield, in Wright Co. MO. It names his
            father as Julian Strong Morefield b. VA--good supprot for our
            speculation that Julius was the son of Moore and Ritty (Strange)
            Moorefield. Ritty's father was Julius Strange. I currently have
            Martin, Green, Johnson, Mary (m. Asa Moore), and Frances (m. Gabriel
            Adams; moved to Clay Co, IL) as children of Moore's brother, Edward,
            but it's possible that some of them were also children of Moore and
            Ritty.

            Pat (Moorefield) Seaver

            On Jun 6, 2009, at 5:39 PM, Roger Hastings wrote:

            > There was a post here in July 2008 regarding a Daniel Mofield. Part
            > of that post mentioned Martin Mofield and Mary Polly Weaver and
            > their 4 known sons. I strongly believe that Martin and Mary also had
            > a daughter Susan, born about 1825 in Tennessee. Susan was my 3rd
            > great grandmother. She married Robert Hastings around 1841 in Smith
            > County, Tennessee. Martin Mofield and Mary Weaver Mofield need to be
            > confirmed as the parents of Susan Mofield Hastings, however, in 1850
            > Martin and Mary were living in Smith County, Tennessee, as was
            > Robert Hastings and Susan Mofield Hastings. In 1860 Martin and Mary
            > Mofield were in Williamson County, Illinois, as was Robert Hastings
            > and Susan Mofield Hastings. Martin's son Johnson was living next
            > door to Johnson in 1860. It seems to me that this was more than a
            > coincidence.
            >
            > Martin Mofield and family were living in Smith County, Tennessee in
            > 1820 and were close neighbors of John and Mary Hastings Robert
            > Hastings parents.
            >
            > I haven't found Martin in the 1830 census, however, there is a
            > Julius Morefield and Johnson Morefield living not too far away from
            > John Hastings in Smith County. Johnson had a girl in the household
            > who was born between 1825 and 1830 and a girl who was born between
            > 1815 and 1820. Maybe someone could enlighten me on them as as well
            > as Martin's whereabouts in 1830.
            >
            > Roger Hastings

          • Roger Hastings
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 6, 2009
[...]

              Here is the post regarding the reference of Martin Mofield and his wife and 4 known sons:

              --- In MOREFIELDHOMEPLACE@yahoogroups.com, Jason <j.lawless_74@...> wrote:

              > thank you very much Patricia

            • Roger Hastings
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 6, 2009
                Thanks Pat. I'm not far enough along with my Morefield research to know who those 1830 Smith County Johnson's were. My first thought was that one of them might be Martin. I don't know if Martin had the second name Johnson or if the census taker made a mistake.

                I'll have to order birth records for Smith County again. I had them a couple of years ago but didn't spot Susan Mofield Hastings' birth record.

                I haven't tracked Julius yet either, so I don't know if he's the Julius born about 1807, the son of Moore and Ritty Strange Morefield. His age is right in there according to that 1830 census.

                Good spot on page 58. Notice that on page 123 of the 1830 Smith County census just above Julius and Johnson is what looks like someone by the name of Weakley Weaver, probably a brother to Martin's wife? Page 58 has a Walker Weaver. I would think there would be a connection, too bad there's a Weaver by both Johnson's.

                The Johnson on page 123 appears to have been born between 1790 and 1800, placing his age near the assumed age of Martin. The Johnson on page 58 is older, assuming he's the oldest male in the household. That would put his birth at 1780 to 1790.

                Regarding Julius, the Johnson on page 123 could be a brother to Julius.

                Also interesting is that Johnson Mofield's (Martin's son) first wife, Margaret H. "Peggy" Bridges, later married a member of my family, George Washington Hastings on December 25, 1862 in Smith County, Tennessee.

                I'm pulling together some land patent info on the Morefield names. Land patent files (the full file via snail mail) can also be a good place to find information, sometimes including where people originated as well as the names of witnesses and other interesting facts. I'll post them in the near future.