Morefield-Stevens marriages 1785 & 1801

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 15, 2007
      Sandy Hart and I are working on the two Stevens women who married our
      Morefield ancestors:

      1785 Halifax Co, Va Wright Morefield m. Nancy Stevens
      1801 Halifax Co, VA William Morefield m. Rebecca Stevens

      Sandy and I are descended from William and Rebecca--Sandy through
      their daughter Nancy, who married Joseph Harris 1824 Patrick Co. and
      I through William and Rebecca's son Allen, who married Martha/Patsy
      Harris 1825 Patrick Co, VA.

      We are trying to figure out who Nancy's father was and who Rebecca's
      father was. Nancy signed her own consent to marry Wright in 1785,
      and her consent statement was written on the back of a scrap of paper
      that has part of a note signed by James Stevens and mentioning a
      Jeremiah. Wright and Nancy's marriage was witnessed by Jeremiah
      Stevens and Molly Stevens. There have been claims that Jeremiah and
      Molly were Nancy's parents, and that may be the case, but the Halifax
      County marriage index book lists them in the columns for witnesses,
      and the columns for parents' names are empty. Further, neither the
      marriage bond nor the consent statement indicates any relationship
      among Nancy, Jeremiah and Molly. There are reasons to believe that
      Rebecca was Nancy's daughter, either from a previous marriage or born
      out of wedlock. Therefore, Jeremiah could have been Nancy's father,
      brother, brother-in-law, father-in-law, uncle--you name it.

      When Rebecca Stevens married William Morefield, Nancy Morefield
      signed the consent for Rebecca to marry on the back of a scrap of
      paper that appears to be a note addressed to "Jeams" Stevens and is
      signed by John Morefield, inviting him to "come down on thursday next".

      The Canaday/Kennedy, Stokes, McKinney and Comer surnames recur in
      connection with both the Morefield and the Stevens families.

      CANADAY/KENNEDY
      Robert Stevens m. Isabel Cannaday 1794
      William Morefield m. Nancy Canaday 1809 (s/o John Morefield, Jr.)
      Will Kennedy was bondsman for Wright Morefield & Nancy Stevens' 1785
      marriage
      William Canaday and Right Morefield were witnesses for the 1803
      marriage of Jeremiah Stevens and Patsy Baker

      STOKES
      Marstin Morefield m. Wilmouth Stokes 1804 (Marstin probably s/o John,
      Sr.)
      James Stevens m. Elizabeth Julia Stokes 1805
      Richard Stokes & Right Morefield were bondsmen for the marriage of
      1803 marriage of Jeremiah Stevens and Patsy Baker

      MCKINNEY
      1793 Nevin McKinney sued William Stephens
      1794 Nevin McKinney witnessed deed from Isaac Coles to James Stevens
      1795 Nevin McKinney Jeremiah Stephens was witness for Nevin
      McKinney in lawsuit
      Mary Polly Morefield m. Nevin McKinney 1817 (possibly d/o John, Jr.)

      COMER
      1800 Moore Comer witness for accounting of James Stephens´┐Ż estate
      Moore Comer m. (1) Dorothy Ragland 1799 (2) Letty Cole 1810; their
      dau. Martha Susan Comer m. Banister MFLD, s/o Marstin Morefield

      Questions:
      Does anyone know of any familial relationship between Wilmoth
      (Stokes) Morefield with either Richard Stokes or Elizabeth Julia Stokes?
      Was Letty (Cole) Comer the d/o Isaac Cole?
      Is the 1793, 1794, 1795 Nevin McKinney the same Nevin McKinney who
      married Mary Polly Morefield?

      Pat Seaver