Morefield-Ashworth

  • gayedenscarrigan
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 24, 2007
      "William Frank Moorefield, III" <wmoorefi@...> wrote:

      >On one of the Ashworth message boards, sometime later, I read a
      <posting by a lady member of the line that the NC Ashworths were
      >defintiely not connected to the Pittsylvania County family. I though
      >to myself, that its a lot easier to prove that two lines are
      >connected than to prove they are not, and how did she know for sure.
      >But, there was no doubt as to which side of the line she stood on.
      >But, her personal feelings do not make it so.

      Sorry, Bill, if I may be so friendly, this is not a "personal" thing,
      but a matter of good genealogy. Without a doubt, you are referring to
      my disclaimer on the Ashworth Message Board, in which I attempt to
      correct the long-standing error that John Ashworth of Buncombe Co., NC
      was a son of Jonathan (or, his son John) Ashworth. Apparently you did
      not read my post of 14 March 2002, in which I laid out the proof.

      The debate concerns the John Ashworth born 25 Feb 1735, died 29 Apr
      1805, Fairview, Buncombe Co., NC, who married Nancy Wood. Someone,
      long ago, found Jonathan Ashworth's Will naming a son John, and bingo,
      you know the rest! Incidentally, Jonathan Ashworth's 1759 Will was
      recorded by he, himself, and never went to probate. In 1763, he made
      a Deed of Gift, naming the same three sons, John, Samuel & Isaac, as
      well as grandsons Jonathan Abbott and John Anglin. The granddaughter
      Elizabeth Bruce whom he had named in his earlier Will was no longer named.

      This statement has also been made: "John Ashworth of the 1782
      Pittsylvania Co. census had a son, who had a son, whose name was also
      John. The son was born in Lunenburg Co. VA, on 25 Feb 1735. He
      settled in what is now Rutherford Co., NC, about 1760." So the
      original error is now complicated by the further assertion that John
      of Buncombe was the son of a son of John Ashworth of Pittsylvania Co.,
      VA.

      Fact: The son of Jonathan Ashworth, can be proven to be the John
      Ashworth who died in 1788, in Pittsylvania Co., VA. He was born
      sometime before 1716, probably New Kent Co., VA, and lived in
      Lunenburg Co., VA, in that area which became Charlotte Co. in 1764.
      He and his wife Jean (Morefield) sold out and moved to Pittsylvania
      Co., VA by Sep 1771, where he died in 1788 — all of which can be
      documented by Lunenburg, Charlotte and Pittsylvania Co. deeds and his
      1788 Will.

      Incidentally, there was an Ashworth family in North Carolina who does
      indeed descend from Jonathan Ashworth. That is Elisha & Clary
      (Callicoat) Ashworth, who lived in Montgomery Co., NC. Elijah's
      father was Samuel Ashworth, a son of Jonathan. But they were not the
      subject of the misleading statements.

      I have long been interested in the Ashworth-Morefield connection, and
      would love to resolve the question of their friendship and/or
      relationship, which apparently began in New Kent Co., VA, or before.

      Several times, I have seen it stated that Jonathan Ashworth purchased
      a Psalter (prayer book) for Mr. Edwd. Murfill — it was Jonathan's son
      Jno. (John) Ashworth who purchased the psalter; which does make a
      difference. The Partridge Store records contain several mentions of
      John Ashworth paying Edward Murfill.

      The Partridge Store records consistently show Jonathan as "Jona." or
      "Jonathan." I should add, in all my 36 years of researching Jonathan
      Ashworth, I have never found him to be called "John" in any record.
      (I believe his father's name was John, so he probably learned early-on
      to be consistent in seeing that his name was recorded as Jonathan.)

      When Jonathan Ashworth wrote his Will on 06 Nov 1750, Lunenburg Co.,
      VA WB 1-282, he left 100 acres to a granddaughter Elizabeth Bruce,
      which "lyes on both sides of Sandy Creek joining the land lay'd off
      for Edward Morfield since conveyed by me to a second purchase from
      Morefield…" Sounds like two sales from Jonathan to Edward Morefield,
      but strangely, I have not found deeds conveying land to Edward. Have you?

      31 Jul 1756 : 03 Aug 1756, Lunenburg DB 4-302: Edward Morefield of
      Halifax Co. sold to John Hinson, 300 acres on both sides of Sandy
      Creek by Jonathan Ashworth's new line, Francis Linsy (it being part of
      an Order of Council obtained by Jonathan Ashworth). That surely
      refers to one of the purchases (or gifts?) from Jonathan.

      01 Nov 1759 : 06 Nov 1759, Lunenburg DB 5-502: Jonathan Ashworth sold
      to Francis Lindsey, 290 acres, part of 1875 acre patent, bounded by
      Ann Williams on Stanton River, Edward Morefield, Sandy Creek, Charles
      Allen.

      The following is the root of the John Ashworth-Jean Morefield problem.
      This information was discovered by my 4th cousin, the late Laura
      Ashworth Crumpler, C.G., C.G.R.S., deceased. Further, she wrote to
      me, that "It seems likely and most probable that all the Ashworth
      brothers were married by one of the early dissenting Baptist preachers
      who roamed the Southside Virginia Counties during this time. During
      this time, the Baptists were converting many people and the
      established Church, backed by the Courts, constantly harassed the
      preachers and converts."

      May Court 1761, Lunenburg Co., VA Order Book 7-5. May Court 1761.
      Grand Jury.
      We present John Ashworth for living in adultry, by information.
      We present Jean Moorefield for living in adultry by information of
      Henry Prewit.

      May Court 1761, Lunenburg Order Book 7-32:
      Henry Prewit Plaintiff against John Ashworth Defendant.
      For reasons appearing to the court, this suit is ordered and the said
      defendant recover against the said plaintiff his cash by him.
      (It does not state what this case was about.)

      John Ashworth, son of Jonathan, left a Will 1787/88, Pittsylvania Co., VA
      15 Oct 1788 [sic], Pittsylvania Co., VA D&W 11-174
      John Ashworth Will
      Wife: Jean Ashworth
      My son: Nathan Moorfield, alias Ashworth
      My dau: Dorcas Taliaferro
      My son: John Ashworth, alias Moorfield
      Estate to be equally divided between my three children of the
      following names to witt: Nathan Moorfield alias Ashworth, Dorcas
      Taliaferro and John Moorfield alias Ashworth
      Exors: Wife Jean Ashworth, Nathan Ashworth alias Moorfield and John
      Ashworth alias Moorfield
      Wit: Silvanus Stokes, Edward Given, John Cousins

      In a court held for Pittsylvania County the 16th day of March 1788
      this the last will and testament of John Ashworth deceased was
      exhibited into court by Jean Ashworth and Nathan Ashworth two of the
      executors therein named ... John May and William Astin their
      securities ...

      We know the son John Morefield alias Ashworth and vice versa, was born
      before 13 Mar 1751 (John Morefield's Will). The consensus seems to be
      that he married Nancy Vincent, ca 1775-77, Pittsylvania Co., VA. He
      died 1823, Posey Co., IN. The book, Into This Fruitful Valley,
      concerns this family.

      Nathan Morefield alias Ashworth and vice versa, SEEMS to be the older
      of the two. He was born before 1743, probably New Kent or Hanover
      Co., VA, and died before 07 Nov 1808, Adair Co., KY, according to one
      researcher. He married Sally (Miller?) possibly in the late 1760's,
      in Charlotte Co., VA.
      (He appears on the 1764 Buckingham Co., VA Tax List, so at least 21
      yrs. old, thus born before 1743.)

      The daughter Dorcas Taliaferro is rather a mystery to me. Some say
      she married Richard Taliferro, ca 1776, Buckingham Co., VA. But, he
      apparently married a Dorcas Perkins. So, did she first marry a
      Perkins? Richard died 1781, Guilford Co., NC. Interestingly, Richard
      & Dorcas named a daughter Jean.

      I hope this is offensive to no one, which is not my intent, but
      instead, offers further insight into the Morefield-Ashworth
      connection. If something is unclear, please ask for an explanation,
      and I will do my best.

      Respectfully submitted,
      Gay Edens Carrigan
      Author of Ashworth of Virginia & West Virginia — The Isaac Line
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 24, 2007
        On Oct 24, 2007, at 10:55 AM, gayedenscarrigan wrote:

        > We know the son John Morefield alias Ashworth and vice versa, was born
        > before 13 Mar 1751 (John Morefield's Will). The consensus seems to be
        > that he married Nancy Vincent, ca 1775-77, Pittsylvania Co., VA. He
        > died 1823, Posey Co., IN. The book, Into This Fruitful Valley,
        > concerns this family.
        >
        > Nathan Morefield alias Ashworth and vice versa, SEEMS to be the older
        > of the two. He was born before 1743, probably New Kent or Hanover
        > Co., VA, and died before 07 Nov 1808, Adair Co., KY, according to one
        > researcher. He married Sally (Miller?) possibly in the late 1760's,
        > in Charlotte Co., VA.
        > (He appears on the 1764 Buckingham Co., VA Tax List, so at least 21
        > yrs. old, thus born before 1743.)
        >
        > The daughter Dorcas Taliaferro is rather a mystery to me. Some say
        > she married Richard Taliferro, ca 1776, Buckingham Co., VA. But, he
        > apparently married a Dorcas Perkins. So, did she first marry a
        > Perkins? Richard died 1781, Guilford Co., NC. Interestingly, Richard
        > & Dorcas named a daughter Jean.

        Gay,

        Welcome to the MorefieldHomeplace. I have thought for some time that
        the Ashworth-Morefield connection is an important key to many of the
        questions that we have about the early Morefield family. You and I
        have previously corresponded about the association.

        You note that John Morefield alias Ashworth moved to Posey Co, IN,
        where he died in 1823. However, he did not move directly to IN from
        VA. Rather, he lived for a number of years in what is now Sullivan
        Co, TN (previously NC). John MOREFIELD acquired 177 acres on Horse
        Creek in Sullivan Co, NC on 23 oct 1783 (Book 1 p. 146). John
        ASHWORTH sold 177 acres on Horse Creek 20 aug 1818 (Deed Book 10 p.
        20). John Ashworth, Sr. appeared on the 1820 Posey Co, IN census.
        According to Lee Minnis, John Ashworth's will was dated 18 sep 1822
        and proved 24 sep 1822. The executors of his will were his two sons,
        Nathan and John Ashworth. He also named his sons A. Grandade
        Ashworth and Francis Ashworth. The will was witnessed by John D. Acuff.

        As for Nancy Vincent... As it happens, my husband's maternal
        grandmother's ancestors came to Sullivan Co. at about the same time
        as John Morefield alias Ashworth. And, those ancestors included
        Acuffs and Vincents. And, they lived on Horse Creek. My husband's
        ancestress, Elizabeth Vincent, was the daughter of Moses Vincent of
        Pittsylvania Co., VA. She was born 21 mar 1766 and married Peter
        Easley (who came to Sullivan Co, NC from Halifax Co, VA) 1 dec 1785
        in Sullivan Co. (NC). According to Le Roy Reeves in Ancestral
        Sketches, "...she came in her youth with hers brothers and sister to
        what was later Sullivan County, Tennessee..." Reeves later states
        that the Vincents came to Sullivan Co. about 1782. Two of
        Elizabeth's brothers are named as George and Thomas, both of whom can
        be found on Pittsylvania Co. records. Reeves does not name Nancy
        Vincent, but it is interesting that the Vincent siblings came from
        Pittsylvania Co. to Sullivan Co. about 1782, and John Morefield alias
        Ashworth of Pittsylvania Co. acquired property in Sullivan Co. in
        1783. George Vincent's gravestone states that he was born in 1753 in
        Brunswick Co, VA. Some Vincent researchers state that John and
        Nancy (Vincent) Ashworth/Morefield named a son Moses Vincent Ashworth.

        Nathan Ashworth/Asher/Ashwith's name appeared on land tax lists of
        Pittsylvania Co, VA through 1802. He purchased land in Adair Co, KY
        in 1804. The inventory and appraisal of Nathan Ashworth dec'd was
        recorded 2 jan 1809 in Adair Co, KY (Will Book A p. 185).

        Note above that one of the witnesses to John Ashworth's will was John
        D. Acuff. The Vincents, Easleys and Acuffs were very closely
        associated families in Sullivan Co. The patriarch of the Acuffs was
        Timothy Acuff, who came to Sullivan Co. from Culpeper Co, VA. His
        oldest daughter, Eleanor, married George Vincent, the brother of
        Elizabeth Vincent who married Peter Easley. Timothy Acuff also had a
        son John, but Le Roy Reeves has no further information about him.
        Also, according to Le Roy Reeves, Timothy Acuff had a daughter,
        Nancy, who married an Ashworth, first name unknown, and he states,
        "Nancy and family seem to have settled in Indiana." Nancy Acuff was
        probably born about 1775. Given her age, she may very well have
        married a son of John Morefield alias Ashworth. On 21 feb 1809
        Nathan Ashworth witnessed a bill of sale of 6 slaves from Timothy
        Acuff to Nathaniel Munsey (who married Timothy's daughter, Anna) in
        Sullivan Co, TN. This cannot be Nathan Morefield alias Ashworth, who
        had died some months previously in Adair Co, KY.

        As for Dorcas Taliaferro... The VA-NC Piedmont Genealogical Society's
        research room in the Danville, VA Public Library holds a typewritten
        list of Pittsylvania County, VA residents who signed the Oath of
        Allegiance in 1777. That list includes Thomas Vincent, John
        Ashworth, Jr., Moses Vincent, Nathan Morefield and John Taleaferro.
        Roger Dodson's Property Lines from the Old Survey Books Pittsylvania
        County, Virginia 1746-1840 show that John Tallefarro owned land on
        White Oak Creek quite close to the land of John Morefield (Ashworth)
        on Sandy Creek. I do know that there are many Tolliver families in
        Sullivan Co, TN, and I have read somewhere that the Tolliver name
        evolved from Taliaferro. I have not looked at Sullivan Co. records
        to see when the first Tollivers appeared there, but will do so at the
        first opportunity.

        The Partridge Store accounts and the fact that Edward Morefield owned
        land in Pittsylvania co. that may have been part of Jonathan
        Ashworth's property leads me to *speculate* that the Morefield-
        Ashworth connection was more than close friends. I *wonder* if
        Edward Morefield's mother or wife was an Ashworth.

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 24, 2007
          I just noticed a couple more relevant references from Sullivan Co. TN
          (earlier NC):

          First Landowners of Sullivan County, Tennessee. Mrs. John Vineyard.
          1974

          No. 2077 pg. 145 State of Tennessee to George Vincent 123 acres on
          Horse Fork of Lick Creek- based on entry No. 4 certificate No. 9 to
          John Morefield for 123 acres, he to George Vincent enterer, including
          grist and saw mill ...Sealed 30 October 1811.

          p. 4
          Backman, Nathan from John Morefield, etc. 177 a. Horse Cr 20 aug 1818
          B 10-20
          Bachman, Nathan from John Ashworth 177 a. Horse Cr. 20 aug 1818 B 10-20
          (this is how it appears in Vineyard's book--two entries, one as John
          Morefield and one as John Ashworth.

          In 2006 I took the following entry from records at the Sullivan
          County Court House in Blountville, TN:
          Morefield, John from State of NC 177a Horse Crk Bk. 1 p. 146 Grant 23
          oct 1783
          same to Nathan Bachman 177 a Horse Crk B 10 p. 20 Deed 20 aug 1818
          proved jun 30, 1824

          Various websites name the children of John Morefield alias Ashworth
          and Nancy Vincent as:
          Moses Vincent Ashworth b. @1783
          Nathan Ashworth
          Christopher Ashworth
          Sarah Ashworth m. Charles Jones
          Jane Ashworth m. Samuel Spurgin
          John Ashworth
          Francis Ashworth
          A. Grandade Ashworth

          Of these, Nathan and Christopher's names appear on Sullivan Co, TN
          records.
          Nathan, John, Francis and A. Grandade are said to have been named in
          John Ashworth's 1822 will in Posey Co, IN (I have not seen this will,
          just a transcription from Lee Minnis, a descendant of Jane Ashworth
          Spurgin.)

        • gayedenscarrigan
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 26, 2007
            Hi again, Pat,
            Yes, it was back in 2002 that we corresponded. It appears, we
            haven't progressed much in determining an Ashworth-Morefield
            connection. I think we need some divine intervention.

            Yes, I was aware that John Morefield Ashworth had a stopover in Sullivan
            Co., TN. I was trying to keep my post as brief as possible, yet
            identify him clearly. I understand there is an 1833 Posey Co., IN Court
            Record which lists all of John Ashworth's ten children. I do not
            have a copy.

            I read somewhere that the Taliaferros were in Lunenburg Co. in the
            1740's, but I didn't make a note of it. They do not appear in
            the tithable lists in "Sunlight On The Southside" 1748-1783,
            though. I've also read that Taliaferro was pronounced Tolliver,
            thus the misspelling. The Ashworth surname is sometimes spelled
            "Asher," though not often. My Harrison Ashworth's Am Rev
            Pension record reflects that: "The name is spelt Ashworth, but
            pronounced Asher and might be so spelt on the rolls."
            (Jonathan's grandson, son of Isaac.)

            I've always wondered where Alexander Strange fits into this
            Ashworth-Morefield puzzle. He lived right in the midst of the Ashworths
            in 1750, but can find no hint of a family tie. And, of course, he
            witnessed the 1751 Will of John Morefield. His name appears as a
            neighbor of Samuel Ashworth in 1760's deeds, then I lose him. The
            Strange family also go back to the St. Peter's Parish Register, New
            Kent Co., VA.

            Morefield researcher, Laverne Markart told me in 1997, that she had
            corresponded with a Herb Morefield in NC, who suffered a stroke after
            their initial correspondence. Her note to me:

            "Herb stated that John Morefield of Lunenburg Co. had a son, also
            named John, who married Jane. This son died prior to the writing of
            John Sr.'s will in 1751, leaving widow Jane and "several" children,
            although he didn't give me any names except for my John who was later
            known as Ashworth. Jane later married neighbor John Ashworth and her
            sons John & Nathan adopted the surname of their stepfather. He also
            told me that John Morefield Sr., who died 1750's, was the son of John
            Morefield, an immigrant from England who died 18 Feb 1688, New Kent Co.,
            and Ann Medlock, (d 23 Mar 1699, New Kent). Herb did not supply me with
            any other details, however."

            A reason for using an alias, according to Saul and Markwell, in Tracing
            Your Ancestors: The A to Z Guide, might be when a mother with children
            from a first marriage remarried. The children, especially if they were
            young, might take the stepfather's surname but would also keep their
            natural father's so as not to lose claim to his copyhold land. Or, a
            son added his mother's maiden name to inherit property through her line.

            Was Nathan the oldest and stood to inherit Morefield land left to his
            mother, so he continued to use Morefield for that reason? I really
            don't know. I have no deeds that might bear that out.

            >Timothy Acuff had a daughter, Nancy, who married an Ashworth

            John & Nancy (Vincent?) Ashworth had two sons who married an Ann or
            Nancy. The names Ann and Nancy were often used interchangeably, but if
            these surnames are correct, they would have had to be widows.

            (1) John m Ann Gale, 27 Mar 1822, Posey Co., IN.
            This had to be a 2nd marriage, based on his Will. So, maybe he first
            married Nancy Acuff???
            He married in Mar 1822, and wrote his will on 10 Dec 1822, naming his
            wife Anny and three children. Probate 15 Oct 1823, Posey Co., IN. Not
            likely to have had three children from March to December.

            (2) Nathan m (1) ? Nancy Gaines, ca 1809

            >On 21 Feb 1809, Nathan Ashworth witnessed a bill of sale of 6 slaves
            from Timothy Acuff
            >to Nathaniel Munsey (who married Timothy's daughter, Anna) in Sullivan
            Co., TN.
            >This cannot be Nathan Morefield alias Ashworth, who had died some
            months previously in Adair Co., KY.

            Could he be the son of John & Nancy, b ca 1781, who m Nancy
            Gaines?

            Some of the Morfield-Ashworth allied families mentioned in the 1777
            Oaths of Allegiance, Pittsylvania Co., VA, as published in The Magazine
            of Virginia Genealogy, Vol. 23, #1, pp 3-11:

            George Carter List : Jno. Talleaferro
            John Wilson List : John Anglin, John Ashworth, Jr., Nathan Morefield,
            Geo. Vincent, Moses Vincent, Thos. Vincent
            Robert Payne List : Jana. Abbott (Jonathan Abbott]
            Thomas Dillard List : Robert Bruce
            Crispin Shelton List : James Bruce

            Note that Nathan appears as Morefield and John is Ashworth.

            --------------

            These are the children of John and Nathan Morefield alias Ashworth, as I
            have gathered them —through correspondence, queries and online
            posts. I have done no specific research on these people, so check it
            out! I keep all of this on my computer as a sorting mechanism. The
            descendants of John Ashworth Sr. were not included in my book, only his
            immediate family.

            Children of John & Nancy (Vincent?) Ashworth alias Morefield:

            John Ashworth Jr., b ca 1779, Pittsylvania Co., VA, d 1823, Posey Co.,
            IN
            m Ann Gale, 27 Mar 1822, Posey Co., IN
            This has to be a 2nd marriage, as he wrote his will 10 Dec 1822, probate
            15 Oct 1823, naming wife Anny and three (3) children, named Dorcas
            Ashworth, Andrew Jackson Ashworth & William Lynn Ashworth.

            Nathan Benjamin Ashworth, ca 1781, Pittsylvania Co., VA, d 1834, Posey
            Co., IN
            ? m (1) Nancy Gaines, ca 1809
            ? m (2) Elizabeth Albright, 04 Apr 1824, Posey Co., IN

            Rev. Moses Vincent Ashworth, b ca 1783, Pittsylvania Co., VA, d 02 Feb
            1838, Posey Co., IN
            m (1) Jane "Jincy" Muse, 01 Oct 1807
            m (2) Elizabeth Davis, bef May 1818

            Sarah "Sally" Ashworth, b ca 1788
            ? m (1) _____ Oglesby
            ? m (2) John/Charles Jones

            Christopher C. Ashworth, b ca 1792, Abingdon, Washington Co., VA, d
            Posey Co., IN
            m Elizabeth Hirons, 09 Oct 1821, Posey Co., IN

            Dorcas Ashworth, b ca 1792, TN, d Posey Co., IN
            m George Hershman/Hirschman

            Jane Ashworth, b ca 1795
            m Samuel Spurgeon

            Nancy Ashworth
            m John Hamilton

            Francis A. Ashworth
            m Thany Alldridge, 13 Mar 1823, Posey Co., IN

            Adam Granade Ashworth, b ca 1806
            m Mary Alldridge, 07 Mar 1823, Posey Co., IN

            --------------

            Children of Nathan & Sally (Miller?) Ashworth alias Morefield
            Tentative

            Miller Ashworth, b ca 1765-70, Charlotte Co., VA, d 1812-20,
            Adair/Barren Co., KY
            m Mary Ann Ashworth, 02 Jan/Jul 1788, Charlotte Co., VA [Dau of Samuel
            Ashworth Sr.]

            Anne Ashworth, b ca 1772
            ? m John Quinn, 23 Dec 1792, Pittsylvania Co., VA

            Starling/Sterling Ashworth, b ca 1774, Pittsylvania Co., VA
            m Elizabeth "Betsy" Tomblin, 30 Dec 1802, Pittsylvania Co., VA

            Joel Ashworth, b ca 1776, Pittsylvania Co., VA, d aft 1850, Pittsylvania
            Co., VA Census
            m Mary "Polly" Ramsey, 22 Mar 1802, Pittsylvania Co., VA

            Martha "Patsy" Ashworth, b ca 1778, Pittsylvania Co., VA
            m William Smith, 13 Oct 1797, Pittsylvania Co., VA

            Elizabeth "Betsey" Ashworth, b ca 1780, Pittsylvania Co., VA
            ? m Michael Harrison, 03 Mar 1808, Adair Co., KY

            John Ashworth, m Catherine Stults, 06 Apr 1806, Adair Co., KY

            find anything.

            Respectfully,
            Gay Edens Carrigan