More on the VIRUS.........

  • Judy Morefield Gordon
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2001
      Just returned from work....had an e-mail from "Jerry Porterfield"
      with an attachment. My first thought was that the "NO ATTACHMENTS"
      setting that I set before I went to work did not work. However,
      after checking our message boards, I see that it didn't make it to
      them, but only to my mailbox.

      So be fore-warned that even though the virus may not be able
      to "post" a message with an attachment to our boards.....it can still
      send them to us individually using our member's names and e-mail
      addresses.

      PLEASE DO NOT OPEN ANY ATTACHMENTS FROM ANY OF OUR MEMBERS!!!!!!

      Hopefully this will soon blow over.

      Judy
    • Frances Gum
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2001
        To All: I don't know if this will help our virus, But this is something
        everyone needs to do.
        Virus prevention:
        The following will not stop your PC from being infected with a virus, but it
        will stop it spreading
        to friends and associates.
        Most viruses spread by automatically emailing themselves to ALL contacts in
        the address book
        of the infected PC.
        By following the below method, it will save you from inadverently mailing a
        virus to all you
        friends and associates.
        The method:
        In your address book add a contact as just AAAAAA. This will make it the
        first address in your
        address book. Do NOT give it an email address, or give it an erroneous one.
        This way, if you do get infected with a virus, when it tries to forward
        itself to all in your address
        book, you will receive an error message such as "The message could not be
        sent. One or more
        recipients do not have an email address."
        Simply go to your outbox and delete the message. You then only have to
        worry about cleaning
        up your own PC.
        If you forward this message to all your contacts then the chances of them
        sending you a virus will also be reduced.
        Frances from Ky. still looking for Benjamin Morefield b.1844 Va.

        > Just returned from work....had an e-mail from "Jerry Porterfield"
        > with an attachment. My first thought was that the "NO ATTACHMENTS"
        > setting that I set before I went to work did not work. However,
        > after checking our message boards, I see that it didn't make it to
        > them, but only to my mailbox.
        >
        > So be fore-warned that even though the virus may not be able
        > to "post" a message with an attachment to our boards.....it can still
        > send them to us individually using our member's names and e-mail
        > addresses.
        >
        > PLEASE DO NOT OPEN ANY ATTACHMENTS FROM ANY OF OUR MEMBERS!!!!!!
        >
        > Hopefully this will soon blow over.
        >
        > Judy
        >

        > MOREFIELDs helping one another to connect their lines......please post
        your line now! MRE 2002 will be held in October, in the Danville, Virginia
        area. Additional details are forthcoming......