Walter Mofield 1882-?? IL

    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 5, 2007
      I have found a discrepancy in my records with regards to the DoD of
      Walter Mofield, s/o Martin b. 1851<Thomasb. @1826<Martin b. @1795
      Halifax, VA. The Social Security Death Index on Ancestry gives his
      DoB as 28 dec 1882 death aug 1976 in Marion, Williamson, IL. I have
      a cemetery record with the same DoB of 28 dec 1882 but a DoD of 28
      jan 1954 Pleasant Grove United Methodist Church, Williamson, IL.

      Does anyone know which DoD is correct?

      Pat (Moorefield) Seaver
    • Robert R. Morefield
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 6, 2007
        Good Morning Pat!

        There are several Walter Mofield's. Martin b1795 had a son Walter
        Russell that was born on 15 Nov 1837 and died on 14 Aug 1923. These
        dates are supported by the Illinois Death Records and Williamson
        County, Illinois Inscriptions Vol. 4.

        Walter Mofield 1882 to 1976 was the son of Martin Mofield 1851 to
        1921. This Martin was the son of W. Thomas Mofield 1826 to 1894. (W.
        Thomas birth record not supported however the death record is from the
        Vol. 4 of Inscriptions)

        I will send you by e-mail a four generation linage for your
        information.

        Bob Morefield

        --- In MOREFIELDHOMEPLACE@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Seaver

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 12, 2007
          Hi Bob,

          I do have the various Walters in my database. The problem is that I
          have this cemetery date of 28 jan 1954 Pleasant Grove United
          Methodist for the Walter born 1882. He died aug 1976 according to
          Social Security records. Do you recognize the cemetery record as
          belonging to someone else?

          Thanks,
          Pat

          On Jan 6, 2007, at 10:28 AM, Robert R. Morefield wrote:

          > Good Morning Pat!
          >
          > There are several Walter Mofield's. Martin b1795 had a son Walter
          > Russell that was born on 15 Nov 1837 and died on 14 Aug 1923. These
          > dates are supported by the Illinois Death Records and Williamson
          > County, Illinois Inscriptions Vol. 4.
          >
          > Walter Mofield 1882 to 1976 was the son of Martin Mofield 1851 to
          > 1921. This Martin was the son of W. Thomas Mofield 1826 to 1894. (W.
          > Thomas birth record not supported however the death record is from the
          > Vol. 4 of Inscriptions)
          >
          > I will send you by e-mail a four generation linage for your
          > information.
          >
          > Bob Morefield
          >
          > --- In MOREFIELDHOMEPLACE@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Seaver
          > <pseaver@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have found a discrepancy in my records with regards to the DoD of
          > > Walter Mofield, s/o Martin b. 1851<Thomasb. @1826<Martin b. @1795
          > > Halifax, VA. The Social Security Death Index on Ancestry gives his
          > > DoB as 28 dec 1882 death aug 1976 in Marion, Williamson, IL. I have
          > > a cemetery record with the same DoB of 28 dec 1882 but a DoD of 28
          > > jan 1954 Pleasant Grove United Methodist Church, Williamson, IL.
          > >
          > > Does anyone know which DoD is correct?
          > >
          > > Pat (Moorefield) Seaver

        • jim mofield
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 13, 2007
            Good Morning
            I thought all Mofields came out of Ky from Henry
            Morefield ?

            Jim Mofield
            --- Patricia Seaver <pseaver@...> wrote:

            > Hi Bob,
            >
            > I do have the various Walters in my database. The
            > problem is that I
            > have this cemetery date of 28 jan 1954 Pleasant
            > Grove United
            > Methodist for the Walter born 1882. He died aug
            > 1976 according to
            > Social Security records. Do you recognize the
            > cemetery record as
            > belonging to someone else?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Pat
            >
            > On Jan 6, 2007, at 10:28 AM, Robert R. Morefield
            > wrote:
            >
            > > Good Morning Pat!
            > >
            > > There are several Walter Mofield's. Martin b1795
            > had a son Walter
            > > Russell that was born on 15 Nov 1837 and died on
            > 14 Aug 1923. These
            > > dates are supported by the Illinois Death Records
            > and Williamson
            > > County, Illinois Inscriptions Vol. 4.
            > >
            > > Walter Mofield 1882 to 1976 was the son of Martin
            > Mofield 1851 to
            > > 1921. This Martin was the son of W. Thomas Mofield
            > 1826 to 1894. (W.
            > > Thomas birth record not supported however the
            > death record is from the
            > > Vol. 4 of Inscriptions)
            > >
            > > I will send you by e-mail a four generation linage
            > for your
            > > information.
            > >
            > > Bob Morefield
            > >
            > > --- In MOREFIELDHOMEPLACE@yahoogroups.com,
            > Patricia Seaver
            > > <pseaver@...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I have found a discrepancy in my records with
            > regards to the DoD of
            > > > Walter Mofield, s/o Martin b. 1851<Thomasb.
            > @1826<Martin b. @1795
            > > > Halifax, VA. The Social Security Death Index on
            > Ancestry gives his
            > > > DoB as 28 dec 1882 death aug 1976 in Marion,
            > Williamson, IL. I have
            > > > a cemetery record with the same DoB of 28 dec
            > 1882 but a DoD of 28
            > > > jan 1954 Pleasant Grove United Methodist Church,
            > Williamson, IL.
            > > >
            > > > Does anyone know which DoD is correct?
            > > >
            > > > Pat (Moorefield) Seaver

            > removed]

            8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 13, 2007
              Hi Jim,

              A large group of Mofields are descended from Henry Morefield b.
              @1790, who moved from Halifax, VA to NC to Pulaski, KY. A few of his
              descendants, by the way, kept the Morefield spelling, but I think
              they eventually either moved away from Pulaski Co, KY or else had no
              sons to carry on the name.

              Another large group are descended from Martin Morefield b. @1795, who
              moved from Halifax Co, VA to Smith Co, TN (about 30-45 minutes east
              of Nashville). Martin had at least 4 sons: James, Thomas, Johnson
              and Walter Russell. James stayed in Smith Co, TN and had 6 sons;
              their descendants are still concentrated in Smith and Wilson and
              surrounding counties. Martin, wife Polly and sons Thomas, Johnson
              and Walter Russell moved to southern Illinois. I think there were
              some other smaller clusters of Morefields who became Mofields in
              southern Illinois and in western KY.

              Martin and Henry were probably 1st cousins. (There were actually
              several Martins--both Morefield and Mofield. Our ancestors named
              their children this way to confuse us today. They are all chuckling
              diabolically in their graves.)

              Those are the two largest groups, but there are other clusters of
              Mofields who can be traced back to Halifax Co, VA. I also found a
              Mofield family in TX descended from a Henry who came from Germany--no
              idea what the original name was in German. Also, there are sporadic
              Mofield records of Morefield/Moorefields who moved from Halifax VA
              and NC to east of the Appalachians. In the 1880 census, my
              grgrgrandfather was Mofield in Hawkins Co, TN, while his father and
              younger brother were Morefield in the same county. My father's
              original birth record (Hawkins Co, TN) was William Mofield. By the
              time he needed a copy for some reason, he was Joseph William
              Moorefield. A search of TN birth records for Joseph William
              Morefield or Moorefield yielded nothing, so he applied for a delayed
              birth certificate under the name he had gone by (my grandparents
              changed the spelling from Morefield to Moorefield when my father
              entered school, because the "schoolmarm" told them that was the
              "correct" spelling). I've found lots of other similar examples of
              sporadic Mofield spelling for Morefield and Moorefield.

              There is also a quite recent Morefield>Mofield change. Dallas
              Marvin Morefield/Moorefield/Mofield was b. 7 feb 1892 to a family
              that had been consistently Morefield or Moorefield going back at
              least to the 1828 marriage of John Morefield & Elizabeth Hines in
              Davidson Co, NC (and more likely to a James Morefield in Granville
              Co, NC in 1754). Dallas Morvan's WWI army registration was
              Morefield; his 1920 marriage record in Forsyth Co, NC was Morefield;
              in the 1930 census he was Mofield; his social security record was
              Moorefield. His children and grandchildren have become Mofield.

              The change from Morefield/Moorefield to Mofield is logical from a
              phonological viewpoint, particularly during earlier times when birth
              certificates weren't required.

              More than you ever wanted to know!

              Pat

            • Timothy Morefield
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 13, 2007
                Patricia.
                I believe the original german spelling is Morfeld.When I was in the Navy we had a Captain whose last name was Morfeld and he was from direct German descent.

                Timothy Morefield

                Tim Morefield
                The Enchanted Hourglass
                www.enchantedhourglass.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 13, 2007
                  German? I thought we were English.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 14, 2007
                    I think we are English or Scottish, for the most part. However,
                    there apparently were Morfeld or Morfelt or Morfeldt families in
                    Germany. There have been records from quite early through the
                    present of Morfeld records. Most of them probably are descendants of
                    a German family. There was a Morefield family in Wisconsin beginning
                    in 1850, and the census records consistently gave the place of birth
                    of the "patriarch" and his wife as Prussia. The descendants later
                    spread into northern IL, NE, SD and later to the CA and the
                    northwest. The records I have found for them have consistently been
                    Morefield, but perhaps they were Morfeld and anglicized the name to
                    fit in. Then the TX family of Mofield that I mentioned also was
                    consistent about giving the PoB as Prussia and the wives had German
                    maiden names.

                    Some years ago, someone wrote (maybe on the Morefield list on
                    Rootsweb?) that h the English/Scottish Morefield family may have been
                    descended from a French family of De Muirville, if you go back far
                    enough (before William the Conquerer????). We've seen quite a few
                    records of Murfield who were also Morefield in other records. I do
                    know that until recent times, the Morefield family in England was
                    concentrated in a county on the Scottish border--don't remember the
                    name of the county right now.

                    I've also heard mention of Irish families, but I tend to think that
                    they were perhaps originally Scottish or English and may have been
                    part of the Scots-Irish who left Scotland and England for political
                    reasons (not wanting to be beheaded could be a powerful motivation, I
                    would think.)

                    Pat

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 14, 2007
                      Hello Pat,

                      I have checked my database and my notes as taken from the funeral home
                      records and cemetery records in Williamson County, Illinois and can not
                      locate anyone buried in Pleasant Grove United Methodist Cemetery and
                      died on 28 Jan 1954.

                      As for Walter son of Martin Mofield and Emily Groves I do not have
                      where he was buried. The only information I have about his death is
                      August 1976 from SS records. I have his birth date as 12 December 1882
                      (taken from birth records at the courthouse in Williamson County, IL.
                      However, the SS records say he was born on 28 December 1882. It would
                      be my thought that he gave the SS people the incorrect date for his
                      birth. The official record indicates he was born on the 12th.

                      If I can return to the Library in Marion or at the College where the
                      Southern Illinois Genealogy Society meets I will look again at the
                      cemetery record books and see if I missed that entry.

                      I checked my entire database of Mofield's for the 28th of Jan 1954 and
                      did not find anything.

                      As for the descendants of Martin b1795 who became Mofield there are
                      more in Southern Illinois still around than there are Morefield's. I
                      have yet been able to locate any that I can talk to about their family
                      history. I made a couple of calls but had to leave a message and never
                      received any returns.

                      <pseaver@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Bob,
                      >
                      > I do have the various Walters in my database. The problem is that I
                      > have this cemetery date of 28 jan 1954 Pleasant Grove United
                      > Methodist for the Walter born 1882. He died aug 1976 according to
                      > Social Security records. Do you recognize the cemetery record as
                      > belonging to someone else?
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                    • Wanda Seaman
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 14, 2007
                        Sounds like we need to get some DNA done.

                        Patricia Seaver <pseaver@...> wrote: I think we are English or Scottish, for the most part. However,

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 14, 2007
                          A few years ago I was in Germany with my wife visiting some of her
                          relatives. They told there were some Morefield's near by. However we
                          did not discuss the spelling. They did not know much about them. If
                          we would have had the time it could have been interesting to have
                          discussed their linage. Many German families have a good record of
                          their family history. I do know that our linage is from England.
                          Actually in my family linage from both my mother and father is all
                          British Isles. Either from England or Ireland.

                          Bob Morefield

                          --- In MOREFIELDHOMEPLACE@yahoogroups.com, Wanda Seaman

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 14, 2007
                            I would definitely like to see a MFLD DNA project. For one thing, we
                            might be able to determine that the earliest NC MFLDs were related to
                            the Halifax Co, VA MFLDs--they account for the two largest groups of
                            MFLDs in the US, ever. I suspect that the early NC MFLDs (beginning
                            mid 1700s) are descended from James Morefield, and I suspect that he
                            was a brother, son, nephew or cousin of Edward Morefield, who died in
                            Halifax Co. in 1785.

                            Pat

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 14, 2007
                              I did my research back in the 70s (roots era) and
                              found a ship register that a Mofild came over in the
                              mid1660s and then 2yrs later another Mofild came over
                              and landed in Virginia. I'm remenber the spelling was
                              off and I guessed they came as part of the virginia
                              land company deal, 7 yrs slave then you get 50 acres.
                              I figured they were the ones who made it to halifax
                              county. all of this was guess work except for the ship
                              register. That early period weren't the english the
                              only ones in virginia? Does anyone have anything
                              concrete before Halifax ? Jim Mofield

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 14, 2007
                                I live in Scotland and there is a tiny town north of here named Morefield if
                                that is any help. Marsha

                              • Donna Coker
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 14, 2007
                                  Donna F Coker"<kyrain_on_me@...
                                  There is a Marvin or Martin Morefield that died in Calvert City, Ky. He was the son of Louis M. Morefield who died Apr. 24'1956 an is buried at Rozzel Chaple Church in Graves county, Ky. There were several Morefields living in Calvert City, KY.