Hello to my Moorefield relatives

  • glnieman@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2005
      Hi, my name is Ginger Corson. I've enjoyed the personal exchanges that have
      been going on amongst the group, so here's my donation:

      I live in Maryland within 2 miles of my mother, brother, and sister -- where
      I grew up along the Chesapeake Bay. My dad was a waterman (oysters, clams,
      fish and crabs) and my mom was a teacher.

      My husband is a colonel in the Air Force and plans to retire this time next
      year. He's currently stationed in D.C. We've been married 20 years this
      past December. We've lived all over the U.S. as well as the Republic of Panama.

      I homeschool our two daughters, both teens, and I try to do genealogy in my
      spare time...which usually ends up being on the occasional nights when I am
      able to stay up late (I'm not a night person!) and everyone else is in bed!

      My mom's roots are in Texas. A result of the elusive and migratory Joseph
      R. Moorefield (born about 1799 in Halifax County? in Virginia and died after
      the 1860 census in Montgomery, Alabama.) We have been stationed in Montgomery
      twice and even after researching right there, I still couldn't find what
      happened to Joseph. I did, however, find the grave of his second wife,
      Christiana.

      Family tradition points to a female American Indian surrounding Joseph R.,
      either a mother, wife, and daughter-in-law).

      I am descended through Joseph's son Henry; then through Henry's daughter,
      Sarah Cynthia; then Sarah's daughter, Amey; then Amey's daughter, Lorraine
      (who is my mom). Sarah and Amey are both buried near here even though they were
      both born in Texas.

      One of my cousins has a great diary written by Sarah Cynthia's soon-to-be
      husband while he was a young cowboy in southwest Texas in the late 1800's.
      Unfortunately, he was vague with names so we didn't get much family info from
      the diary, however, it is awesome to read about "seas" of buffalo, gunslingers,
      and Indians. Frankly, I just think it's amazing he could read and write!!

      Anyway, it's become obvious that some of you have the Moorefield line down
      very, very well and understand most of them as if you knew them! I was
      wondering if anyone (maybe the mastermind of pedigree charts amongst you?) has
      submitted a pedigree chart to one of the genealogy websites where you can invite
      people to look at your chart, allowing some to make changes or additions as
      necessary, so that everyone can be "on the same page?" I think Ancestry.com
      has one called _www.myfamily.com_ (http://www.myfamily.com/) . I've done it
      before with another line, but it was several years ago and not enough people in
      my family used computers at that time.

      I hope to allot myself some more time devoted to genealogy this summer after
      school is out.

      If anyone is ever in the D.C. area, please look us up!!
      Ginger Corson

    • WILLIAM FRANK MOOREFIELD, III
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2005
        --- In MOREFIELDHOMEPLACE@yahoogroups.com, glnieman@a... wrote:
> [...]
        I was
        > wondering if anyone (maybe the mastermind of pedigree charts
        amongst you?) has
        > submitted a pedigree chart to one of the genealogy websites where
        you can invite
        > people to look at your chart, allowing some to make changes or
        additions as
        > necessary, so that everyone can be "on the same page?" I think
        Ancestry.com
        > has one called _www.myfamily.com_ (http://www.myfamily.com/) .
        I've done it
        > before with another line, but it was several years ago and not
        enough people in
        > my family used computers at that time.
        >
        > I hope to allot myself some more time devoted to genealogy this
        summer after
        > school is out.
        >
        > If anyone is ever in the D.C. area, please look us up!!

        Well Ginger, Thanks so much for the information. My son Will
        lived and worked in the DC area from January, 1999 until about
        October, 2003. Not knowing any differently, I just assumed you lived
        in Texas. Please set aside the first weekend in October to come to
        the Morefield Homecoming. Have not decided the location yet (Staunton
        River Park on the list) but the date is set in stone as the first
        Saturday. Some of us feel like we know you already, and would love to
        meet you. You were the first I know of to make the connection between
        Joseph in Pittsylvania County and South Carolina. Of course Pat the
        bloodhound gets credit for tracing his footsteps around the southeast.

        Have you ever been to Halifax County? Its not that far from you;
        my Dad's first cousin Ray Moorefield lives in your area and gets home
        annually for our local family reunion in Scottsburg. It's about a
        four hour drive from DC to Halifax. If you are ever in the area, I'd
        be glad to show you around. I think I can place the area Joseph lived
        in Pittsylvania area within about ten miles. I think he lived
        somewhat west of the Meadsville area of Halifax County. He also owned
        a business of some sort in North Carolina, but I have found no
        evidence of it in my travels to the N.C. counties that are near
        Halifax and Pittsylvania. In the 1850 census, his children Hamton,
        age 22, and Amanda, age 18, show their places of birth as N.C. Now
        I'm wondering if Chesterfield, S.C. is in Chesterfied County. The
        town of Chesterfield is somewhat southeast of Charlotte, N.C. Now I'm
        wondering if he lived somehwere along this N.C./S.C. border for the
        1830 census, and if there is a connection to Judith Moorefield who
        lived in the general area. Oh well, I digress.

        Anyway, thanks for letting us get to know you a little better
        and we look forward to your thoughts and ideas as we travel along.
        Hope to see you next October. Bill in Martinsville