1790 North Carolina Census

  • William F. (Bill) Moorefield, III
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2001
      Hey cousins, haven't posted in a while due to lack of time more than
      lack of data. I was in the local history room of the library in
      Reidsville, N.C. a few days ago and found a copy of the federal
      census for 1790 for the state of North Carolina, and found two
      entries, one a long shot and one a definite. The first is for a
      Daniel Marafield in the Wilmington district of Bladen Co. I don't
      know what area this would have been in 1790, but I think somewhere
      south (of course) and perhaps east of current Halifax Co., Va. In the
      household were 1 male 16 or over, (Daniel), 1 male under 16, and 3
      white females, no ages. The name is spelled as in the book, so its
      anyone's guess if he was a "Morefield", that is kin to one of ours.
      The second entry is for John B. Morefield in the Salisbury district
      of
      Rowan Co. This area was and is northeast of Charlotte, N.C. along
      current U.S. 85., and there have been other Moorefields who left
      Halifax Co. for this area.
      I also found a book titled State Census of North Carolina
      1784-1787 by Mrs. Alvaretta Kenan Register. In this book, there were
      no Morefields found using any spelling of our name. Either they were
      missed, or the folks above went into N.C. during the intervening
      period. Also, the library has a collection of books for each county
      for the 1820 federal census, except the volume for Stokes Co. was
      missing. I did not have time to look in every book, but found no
      Morefields for the following counties; Bladen, Rowan, Iredell, Surry,
      Person, and Caswell. These are the two counties for the 1790
      census,
      and counties I know to be populated with our folks later on.
      If anyone has anything to add about Daniel and John B., please
      fire away. Bill in Martinsville