Re: [MOREFIELDHOMEPLACE] Reminder - Frances Hardin Gum's Birthday

  • Frances Gum
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2005
      Thanks Pat, After my great grandfather (Wm Hardin) died in the Civil War,
      My
      great grand mother (Elizabeth Durham Hardin) born 1834 in Rockcastle Co. Ky
      married Benjamin Morefield (born 1844 Va). in Madison Co. Ky on Feb 14
      1865.
      They had seven children Alice born 1865, Ida born 1868, Will born 1869, Cora
      born
      1871, Lucy born 1872, Emma born dec 11 1873 , died April 7 1954, married
      William Jack
      Powers . They both died in a nursing home in Louisville, Jefferson Co Ky.
      Last children of Benjamin was Hugh born 1877.
      Benjamin and Elizabeth was last found in Mercer Co. Ky in the 1880 census.
      This is my brick Wall. Any help would be appreciated. Again Thanks.
      Frances

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2, 2005
        Thanks, Deb. There is a lot of Jesse Gum's, but I don't find one
        in my husband's direct line. His line is of course, starts with Roger
        (1620)
        and then William (1765) comes to Estill Co. Ky. I don't have a lot of Gum's
        in my head. But I'm always looking for Hardin's. Would love any help from
        Hardin's. Again Thanks. Frances

        Are you related to Jesse Harmon Gum b. 4-18-1885 d. 12-31-1950???
        if so, i may have info for u.

        --- In MOREFIELDHOMEPLACE@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Seaver
        <pseaver@c...> wrote:
        > Frances,
        >

        > Why don't you post your family, as you know it, again?
        >
        > Pat

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Patricia Moorefield Seaver
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 9, 2005
          --- In MOREFIELDHOMEPLACE@yahoogroups.com, "Frances Gum" <
          hardingum@i...> wrote:
          > Thanks Pat, After my great grandfather (Wm Hardin) died in the Civil War,
          > My
          > great grand mother (Elizabeth Durham Hardin) born 1834 in Rockcastle Co.
          Ky
          > married Benjamin Morefield (born 1844 Va). in Madison Co. Ky on Feb 14
          > 1865.
          > They had seven children Alice born 1865, Ida born 1868, Will born 1869,
          Cora
          > born
          > 1871, Lucy born 1872, Emma born dec 11 1873 , died April 7 1954,
          married
          > William Jack
          > Powers . They both died in a nursing home in Louisville, Jefferson Co Ky.
          > Last children of Benjamin was Hugh born 1877.
          > Benjamin and Elizabeth was last found in Mercer Co. Ky in the 1880
          census.
          > This is my brick Wall. Any help would be appreciated. Again Thanks.
          > Frances

          Frances,

          I've been trying to find Emma & William Jack Powers in the 1910 census, but
          without luck. Do you know if they stayed in KY after their marriage?

          A Benjamin, a James William and an Alice Morefield all married in Clark Co,
          IN between 1888 and 1891; James William was born KY and matches the
          DoB of Willie, son of Benjamin & Elizabeth. Could this be Benjamin, his son
          Willie and daughter Alice?

          Pat (Moorefield) Seaver
        • Frances Gum
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 10, 2005
            Pat, so goooood to hear from you. I found William Powers and
            mma( sometimes
            spelled Amma) in the Fed census of 1900, 1910, 1920,all in Jefferson Co.Ky.
            I have
            both of their death cert. from Jefferson Co. Ky.
            Elizabeth and Bejamina was last in Census of Mercer Co. Ky 1880, but I now
            have
            a paper for her arrest for shooting John C. Gallaghen with intent to kill.
            I can not
            find any follow up on this. So maybe something happen to her and Benjamin
            and
            the children went to Clark Co. IN, which is just across the river from
            Louisville.KY.
            This sounds good do you have more on them. Thanks Frances

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 10, 2005
              On Jul 10, 2005, at 2:47 PM, Frances Gum wrote:

              > Pat, so goooood to hear from you.  I found William Powers and
              > mma( sometimes
              > spelled Amma) in the Fed census of 1900, 1910, 1920,all in Jefferson
              > Co.Ky.
              > I have
              > both of their death cert. from Jefferson Co. Ky.
              > Elizabeth and Bejamina was last in Census of Mercer Co. Ky 1880, but
              > I now
              > have
              > a paper for her arrest for shooting John C. Gallaghen with intent to
              > kill.
              > I can not
              > find any follow up on this.  So maybe something happen to her and
              > Benjamin
              > and
              > the children went to Clark Co. IN, which is just across the river from
              > Louisville.KY.
              > This sounds good do you have more on them.  Thanks  Frances
              >

              > > Frances,
              > >
              > > I've been trying to find Emma & William Jack Powers in the 1910
              > census,
              > but
              > > without luck.  Do you know if they stayed in KY after their
              > marriage?
              > >
              > > A Benjamin, a James William and an Alice Morefield all married in
              > Clark
              > Co,
              > > IN between 1888 and 1891; James William was born KY and matches the
              > > DoB of Willie, son of Benjamin & Elizabeth.     Could this be
              > Benjamin,
              > his son
              > > Willie and daughter Alice?
              > >
              > > Pat (Moorefield) Seaver

              Well, this has become a breaking story. What is the date of
              Elizabeth's arrest? Was it in Mercer Co.? Could Gallaghen be
              Gallagher? I've heard of the surname Gallagher, but never Gallaghen
              (which means nothing).

              A few weeks ago, I found a 1900 Jefferson Co, KY census record for an
              Ida Morefield, age 28. That's the name of one of Benjamin &
              Elizabeth's daughters, born 1868--pretty close and I have NO other
              candidate that would match Ida. Knowing that Emma/Amma was also in
              Jefferson Co. makes me even more convinced that Ida was Benjamin's
              daughter. So, we have Elizabeth being arrested, then Benjamin's
              daughters Emma and Ida in Jefferson Co, KY with a Benjamin, James
              William and Alice all just across the river. Hmmm...

              Here's what I have:
              Alice Mofield m. Thomas Stevens 24 sep 1888 Clark IN
              James W. Mofield m. Josephine Standiford 25 aug 1891 Clark, IN (may
              have been Staniford)
              Benjamin Mofield m. Josepha Scale 4 oct 1892 Clark IN
              Then from 1911-1920, I have several more Mofield and Morefield records,
              most of which were James William's children.

              James William was James W. in the marriage record, James W. in 1900,
              William in 1910 and James William in 1920. His DoB in census records
              ranges from 1870/1872. Willie, son of Benjamin and Elizabeth, was born
              @1869.

              I haven't found Thomas or Alice Stevens or Stephens in IN or KY. I
              also haven't found a Benjamin or Josepha in either Clark, IN or in KY
              who would match.

              Do you have ANY information about any of the other children of Benjamin
              & Elizabeth--who the daughters married? I've searched for their son
              Hugh, but haven't found him in census records after 1880. There is a
              Jefferson Co, KY death record for a Hugh E. Mofield d. 27 jan 1951, but
              no age given, so I can't be sure that it's a match.

              I think the more we can learn about Benjamin and his children, the
              better chance we'll have of figuring out who his parents were. Have
              you ever heard a middle name?

              Pat

            • Frances Gum
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 10, 2005
                Pat, if I understand the paper, this happen 13 Aug, 1885,
                The paper was written on 17 Aug, 1885. And yes Gallaghen maybe
                with a r. I found a Alice Stevens 55, Wd, born US (Hmmm). Oregon,
                Clackamas Co --1920 Also Thomas Steves,boarder, single, born CA.
                Mother and Farther born IN , Oregon, Harney Co. --1910. I have nothing
                on the other children.
                I do have a marriage bond from Mercer Co. KY. 22 Sep, 1881
                Be it known, That S. T. (looks like a T.maybe F.) Durham as principal,
                and B. F.( maybe a T)Mofield --- . Durham marriage to Ellen T.(looks
                same as Durham's middle initial) Hardin. But if that is my Ellen, I
                thought her middle name was Frances. (She is Elizabeth,s daughther)
                All for now. Will keep looking, Frances

                -----
                Subject: [MOREFIELDHOMEPLACE] Benjamin & Elizabeth (Hardin) Morefield