Josiah b. @1830 s/o Allen & Martha

  • Patricia Moorefield Seaver
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2004
      My grgrgrandfather was Josiah Morefield, s/o Allen, who was the son of
      William & Rebecca (Stevens) Morefield.

      My grandfather said that his grandfather was married 4 or 5 times, and I had
      found 3 marriage records and a fourth name in the death record of a son:

      Josiah m. Letha Maize 28 oct 1853 Patrick County, VA. She was still living in
      1880. I am descended from Josiah & Letha.

      Josiah had a son named John Columbus "Jack", who was killed in an
      industrial accident in Kingsport, Sullivan Co, TN in 1914. The death record
      gave his parents names as Joe Morefield and Mary Stratton and his age as
      29, (=DoB @1885) b. Tazewell Co., VA

      Josiah m. Martha Culbertson 15 oct 1887 in Sullivan Co, TN. Joe Morefield
      of Michigan, who has been a member of Homeplace but has been silent
      lately, is descended from Josiah & Martha.

      Joe m. Melissa McClennan 4 aug 1904 Sullivan Co, TN

      Bill of Martinsville visited the Tazewell County, VA courthouse last week and
      found the following marriage record:
      Josiah Morefield, son of Allen & Patsy m. Emerine Barnett, d/o James Shalton
      & Rhoda Barnett license issued 20 nov 1883; return 23 dec 1884. He was
      age 45 widower, she was 27 single.

      When he first gave me the marriage record information, I thought that Emerine
      must have been the possible 5th wife that my grandfather mentioned.

      So...Letha was still living in 1880.
      He married Emerine Barnett 1883 or 1884
      He had a son by Mary Stratton 1885
      He married Martha Culbertson 1887
      Hmmm...

      Now I wonder if Mary Stratton was Emerine--father's name Shalton??? I can
      see how Shalton and Stratton could be confused in handwriting. But where
      did Barnett come in?? It could be that John Columbus's age was off in the
      death record, but the 1910 Sullivan Co. census gives his age as 25.

      Pat (Moorefield) Seaver
    • s73337a
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2004
        --- In MOREFIELDHOMEPLACE@yahoogroups.com, "Patricia Moorefield
        Seaver" <pseaver@c...> wrote:
        > My grgrgrandfather was Josiah Morefield, s/o Allen, who was the son
        of
        > William & Rebecca (Stevens) Morefield.
        >
        > My grandfather said that his grandfather was married 4 or 5 times,
        and I had
        > found 3 marriage records and a fourth name in the death record of a
        son:

        > Josiah m. Letha Maize 28 oct 1853 Patrick County, VA. She was
        still living in
        > 1880. I am descended from Josiah & Letha.
        >
        > Josiah had a son named John Columbus "Jack", who was killed in an
        > industrial accident in Kingsport, Sullivan Co, TN in 1914. The
        death record
        > gave his parents names as Joe Morefield and Mary Stratton and his
        age as
        > 29, (=DoB @1885) b. Tazewell Co., VA
        >
        > Josiah m. Martha Culbertson 15 oct 1887 in Sullivan Co, TN. Joe
        Morefield
        > of Michigan, who has been a member of Homeplace but has been silent
        > lately, is descended from Josiah & Martha.
        >
        > Joe m. Melissa McClennan 4 aug 1904 Sullivan Co, TN
        >
        > Bill of Martinsville visited the Tazewell County, VA courthouse
        last week and
        > found the following marriage record:
        > Josiah Morefield, son of Allen & Patsy m. Emerine Barnett, d/o
        James Shalton
        > & Rhoda Barnett license issued 20 nov 1883; return 23 dec 1884. He
        was
        > age 45 widower, she was 27 single.
        >
        > When he first gave me the marriage record information, I thought
        that Emerine
        > must have been the possible 5th wife that my grandfather
        mentioned.

        > So...Letha was still living in 1880.
        > He married Emerine Barnett 1883 or 1884
        > He had a son by Mary Stratton 1885
        > He married Martha Culbertson 1887
        > Hmmm...
        >
        > Now I wonder if Mary Stratton was Emerine--father's name
        Shalton??? I can
        > see how Shalton and Stratton could be confused in handwriting. But
        where
        > did Barnett come in?? It could be that John Columbus's age was off
        in the
        > death record, but the 1910 Sullivan Co. census gives his age as
        25.

        > Pat (Moorefield) Seaver

        Pat, Judy mailed the copy of the marriage license and copies of other
        findings to you this morning. Bill