Re: Hello

  • Patricia Moorefield Seaver
    Message 1 of 10 , May 26, 2004
      --- In MOREFIELDHOMEPLACE@yahoogroups.com, "jes" <
      mike_more@m...> wrote:
      > Hello My name is Michael Morefield. I live in Dorr, Michigan, south
      > of Grand Rapids. Its very interesting that there are a bunch of
      > other Morefield's out there. e-mail me if you are a Morefield.. thanx

      Hi Michael,

      One Morefield family that moved to MI was my grgrgr-uncle, William Madison
      Morefield. He was born 1892 in Sullivan Co, TN and died 1974 in Michigan.
      He had one son, William Alvin, and 5 daughters. William Alvin had two sons--
      Alvin William and Thomas Henry. and 2 daughters. Is this your line?

      Pat (Moorefield) Seaver
    • ken.morefield
      Message 2 of 10 , May 21, 2012
        Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Harold Kenneth Morefield Jr. I go by Ken. I was born in Johnson City but moved to Delaware when I was young. Most of my family is still in Mountain City and around there. I am decended from two Morefield lines which I am sure are connected way back. My grandfather was Robert Harrison Morefield. His father was Joseph Morefield. His father was Alexander Morefield, whose father was Daniel Morefield. My great grandfather Joseph married Pearl Morefield who was the daughter of Benjamin Morefield and Martha Hicks. I can trace the family way back on Pearl's side but I can't find anything before Daniel on the other side. My cousin has all the old pictures that were my grandparents. There are three pics that have indians in them. Two are wedding pics from around the Civil War or just after. Another is from probably the 1880's or so. I've been working on figuring out our indian connection. My grandfather always said we were Cherokee. He was dark and so was his father. Any info about that would be much appreciated. Thanks
      • jewel shortt
        Message 3 of 10 , May 22, 2012
          Hi Ken, My name is Jewel Morefield Shortt, Alexander Morefield  is my great grand father, my ancestors were from Mountain City (Johnson County Tn.) My grand father Wiley Morefield moved to Dante, Va. to work in the coal mines there. I have some info on the Morefields, my dad Fred Morefield, told me that his grand father Alexander was Indian & that his grand mother was 1/2 indian, but i have no proof other than a couple of pics of them. They are dark skinned people with black hair & dark eyes. If you are interested in knowing how much Indian blood you have I have heard that a DNA test is the best way. Hope this helps, keep me posted if you find out if we are Cherokee, that's what Dad told me too.  I will search through  info I have & let you know if I find anything.

          ________________________________
[...]

        • Ken Morefield
          Message 4 of 10 , May 23, 2012
            Hi Jewel,
            It's very nice to meet you.  I would love to see the pictures.  I posted some on the Morefield Yahoo Group page.  One of them I think is either Alexander and his wife Matilda or my other great great grandparents Benjamin Morefield and Martha Hicks.  I put up some other pics from my grandfather's family photos that are wedding pics with indians in them too.

            Message 5 of 10 , May 23, 2012
              Ken, I just found a great deal of info that can fill in spaces in the Joseph line, it appears we are cousins. I do not know how to post pics etc on line so if you want to email your address to me i will make copies of what I have along with pics & mail it to you. I have info on the Estep's & Laws too. Daniel Morefield was married twice, first to Ann Snider then to Anna Netherley in 1841 Daniel died before 1880. Daniels father was Thomas Morefield, mother was Elizabeth ?  The pic you posted with the couple & 2 children may be Alexander & Nancy Matilda Estep but i cannot be sure. My cousin sent me a pic i will see if i can send it to you. Jewel

              Always remember to stop and smell the roses!

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 10 , May 24, 2012
                Thank you so much!  The picture you sent me does resemble the photo with the kids just with a beard added.  My full address is:  Ken Morefield Jr.
                                                                           208 1/2 East Avenue
                                                                           Holloway Terrace
                                                                           New Castle, DE  19720

                We've been piecing info together.  My great grandfather Joseph married another Morefield.  Genetie Pearl Morefield.  I suspect that they were probably distant cousins but never found anything above Daniel.  One interesting thing that we found was that both father and son, Daniel and Alexander joined the 13th Tennessee Cavalry together.  I didn't realize that Eastern Tennessee was part of the Union.  I always thought it was Confederate.  We also found out that they both deserted after a month though.

                Message 7 of 10 , May 24, 2012
                  Hi Ken,

                  East Tennessee, and particularly northeast Tennessee, was a hotbed of Union sympathizers, as was southwest VA. Tennessee wasn't really part of the Union, and did secede against the wishes of most of East TN, but there were many Union companies formed in East TN. All of my East TN ancestors who fought in the Civil War were in Union companies.

                  Sometimes Civil War "deserters" just changed companies. Or they may have gone home to visit and then rejoined the same company or a different company later. One of my Mo(o)refield ancestors enlisted in Stokes Co, NC, where he was living. He moved his family to Wythe Co, VA during the war and enlisted in a VA company. He is listed as a deserter in Stokes Co, NC.

                  Pat (Moorefield) Seaver

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 24, 2012
                    Hi Pat,
                    I did find records of a Daniel Morefield in the Virginia Infantry around the same time also.  I think it was the Virginia 64th, but can't remember for sure.  I don't know if it was a different Daniel or if he may have switched sides.  I also found where several of my Osborne and May ancestors joined the Confederate army and one of the May's was captured at Gettysburg and spent time up the road from here at the Civil War Prison Fort Delaware.  So much interesting things to learn, but also so much to keep track of.