Re: [MOREFIELDHOMEPLACE] I am Back & Wright's Children

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2004
      Hi Bob,

      We're just back from a trip to cool, rainy FL--nearly froze on a tram
      tour of a section of the Everglades. Oh, well. Saw lots of alligators.

      I'm going to put a few comments interspersed in your message.

      On Sunday, February 29, 2004, at 07:19 PM, Robert R. Morefield wrote:

      > Hello Bill,
      >
      > I have been taking a quick look at the messages posted while Betty
      > and I were in Germany and England.  I have not digested all of the
      > data posted yet but did want to put in a thought about the parentage
      > of Robert S.  It appears that the children of Wright and Moore
      > departed from the Eastern area to the West as it would have been
      > thought of in the mid 1830s.  Considering the 1820 census and
      > settlement of the different Morefield's into Western Kentucky and
      > Central and Southern Illinois.  I would like to say that I doubt
      > that Green and Robert were brothers due to the marriage of their
      > children to each other.

      There are a number of cases of first cousins marrying. In rural
      communities, it was not uncommon. I believe I recall reading within
      the last year or so that geneticists have found that the social taboo
      against first cousins marrying is not supported by any scientific
      studies--that is, they have found that the children of first cousins
      are no more likely to have inherited medical or intelligence weaknesses
      than children of non-related couples. Does anyone else remember the
      details of that study?

      However, I think it's possible that Robert chose Graves Co. to begin
      with because he was related in some way to Green, who was living in the
      general area by 1820.

      > I do believe that Green and several of the
      > others in his area were brothers.  Pat ran accross an interview with
      > John Daniel Morefield (son of Robert S.) about the Morefield's of
      > Marshall and Graves counties in KY and he referred to them as all
      > being cousins.  This, while cercumstantial, is a strong indication
      > of their relationship to each other.  Green and his brothers for the
      > most part were in KY and TN and there was a story as provided by Ray
      > Mofield that their were four brothers who left KY during the Civil
      > War due to the troubles.  Also that these brothers came to Illinois
      > and Missouri.  Robert S. Did come to Illinois and died shortly there
      > after.  He traveled in the same direction as some who were probably
      > cousins into Illinois.  It is my thought that James Harding and
      > Robert S. were probably brothers and both sons of Wright.

      > that time this makes him a strong canidate for her father.  Now for
      > what reason was Robert in Patrick county in those years.  I do
      > believe we have established that William Sr. died in late 1829
      > leaving Rebecca widowed.  She would have probably needed help and
      > Robert could have gone there to help and found himself either
      > married or in a stiuation of fathering a daughter out of wedlock.
      > We have not found a marriage record for Robert to the mother of
      > Andelusia but then it usually was up to the preacher to turn in the
      > marriages.  Yet they had to get a license.  So, ???? .

      A couple of points...

      William was on the 1828 tax list, and Rebecca was the HoH on the 1830
      census. As for Robert coming to Patrick Co. to help his (aunt)
      Rebecca.... Keep in mind that Rebecca & William had 3 grown sons:
      Allen married 1825, Josiah married in March 1830, and Wright married
      in March 1831. All of them were still in Patrick Co. in the early
      1830s when Robert was there. Josiah sold some land in 1838 and was in
      IL by 1840. I haven't found Allen or Wright in 1840, but in 1850,
      Rebecca was living with Wright.

      The fact that no marriage record has been found for Robert S. to the
      mother of Andelusia is not unusual for that time period. There are a
      number of other MFLDs who appeared on tax or census records for whom we
      have not found marriage records. It is likely that the minister simply
      did not send his records to the county. The minister who married
      Allen to Martha Harris sent in a handwritten list that covered several
      marriages over a 2 or 3 year period--maybe he kept good records and his
      list was complete, but maybe it wasn't. We not only don't have a
      marriage record for Edward #2, but he eluded the 1820 census, as well
      (and 1830 if he was still living); the only way we know he existed are
      the tax lists and the fact that he witnessed some marriages.

      I don't think Robert was the s/o William & Rebecca. There is an
      unknown male who was in their household in 1820 and 1830, but he was
      born about 1820. In 1820 there was one male age 16-26 (Allen) and 3
      males age 0-10. I believe that the 3 males born between 1810 and 1820
      were Josiah, Wright, and the James who appeared on the Patrick Co. tax
      lists 1835-1840. Josiah had a son named Josiah James, and some
      researchers have also claimed/assumed that Josiah was named Josiah
      James. However, I have seen no document referring to him as Josiah J.
      or Josiah James. There was a James and a Josiah on the Patrick Co. tax
      lists during the same years; Rebecca last appeared on the tax list in
      1834, and James first appeared on the 1835 list. If James came of
      age in 1834, he was born about 1818, which matches the 1820 and 1830
      census records for William & Rebecca.

      Since there is no 1810 census and since they did not leave wills (as
      far as we know), It's very possible that Wright & Nancy had other
      children who were already out of the household by 1820. Likewise,
      Moore & Ritty. For example, Armistead was on the tax list in 1819;
      Thomas of Davidson, TN in 1820; Green in Stewart, TN in 1820; Martin
      married in TN in 1819, but was missing in 1820... and there are several
      others. I think we can maybe narrow the field to some extent by
      looking at who was in the Northern District and who was in the Southern
      District. Moore was the first MFLD in the Southern District in 1808,
      while Wright was always on the Northern District list.

      You make a good case that Robert S. could have been the s/o Wright and
      Nancy. I wonder if the S. stood for Stevens????

    • Robert R. Morefield
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2004
        Hi Pat,
        Welcome home. I received a "welcome Home" when I went through
        customs and passport control in Chicago. Our trip to Germany and
        Endland was great but it was very windy and cold there. It ranged
        from -3c to +5c while we were there. With the wind we felt every
        degree of the cold.

        As for the S. in Robert's name, I have wondered the same thing. The
        only thing I can offer was something my Dad told me when I was a
        teenager and prior to his death. He said his grandfather was call
        Sam. My grandfather Dennis I. Morefield had a brother named Sam.
        Problem with what my father told me was that his grandfather was
        David Henry and not a Sam. So it has had me wondering if Robert was
        Robert Samuel Morefield. I have never found a document with the
        middle name spelled out to date. I have hope there will be
        something in one of those Courthouse basements to help.

        Bob

        <I wonder if the S. stood for Stevens???? Pat (Moorefield) Seaver>