Halifax Co, VA Court Documents 1774-1790

  • Patricia Moorefield Seaver
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2003
      Below is the first installment of transcriptions that I did at the Halifax =
      County,
      VA Court House September 25-26, 2003. I left the spelling as it appeared i=
      the documents, although I may also have some typos; if you have a question =

      about whether something is a typo or the way a word or phrase appeared in
      the document, please ask and I'll try to clarify.

      Pat

      Halifax Co, VA 1774 Plea Book 8 p. 370
      Charles Allen, agent of Thomas Yuille, Gent, late
      replery bond against Alexander Strange & John Morefield
      ordered to pay 4£ plus interest

      Halifax Co, VA 1775 Plea Book 9 138
      John Morefield appointed surveyor whereof Joseph Pulliam was surveyor

      Halifax co, VA 1778 Plea Book 9 276
      An indenture of testament with the memorandum of Livery of seizen(?) and
      receipt thereon Indorsed between James Daniel of the one part and John
      Morefield of the other, were prov'd by the oaths of three of the subscribin=
      witnesses thereto to be the several Acts and Deed of the said James and the=

      same were ordered to be Recorded
      Epaphroditus White 1779 P 10 87 vs. Edward

      Halifax Co, VA Plea Book 11 p. 237 November Court 1785
      On the motion of John Morefield who made Oath according to Law certificate =

      is granted him for obtaining Letters of Administration of the Estate of Edw=
      ard
      Morefield deceased on giving Security whereupon he with Moses Terry his
      Security entered into and acknowledged Bond according to Law

      Halifax Co, VA Plea Book 11 p. 237 November Court 1785
      Robert Throgmorton William Harris, William Stegall and Thomas Nonell or
      any three of them being first sworn are appointed to appraise the personal =

      Estate and Slaves if any of Edward Morefield deceased and return an
      Inventory and appraisement of the same to the next court

      Halifax Co, VA Plea Book 11 p. 285 December Court 1785
      An Inventory and appraisement of the Estate of Edward Morefield was
      returned and ordered to be Recorded.

      Halifax Co, VA Plea Book 11 p. 285 December Court 1785
      An account of Sales of the Estate of Edward Morefield was returned and
      ordered to be Recorded.

      Halifax Co, VA 1789 Plea Book 14 54 September 1789
      An Indenture between William Stegall of the one Part and John Moorefield of=

      the other Part was by the said William acknowledge to be his Act and Deed
      and were ordered to be recorded.

      John Jr. Wright Tithes of defts to work on road 1790 P 14 178

      Halifax Co, VA Plea Book 15 30 August Court 1790
      John Hicks against John Moorefield
      This day came as well the Plaintiff by his attorney. As also the Dft in hi=
      proper person and the said Defendant Acknowledged the Plaintiffs Petition. =

      Therefore it is considered by the court that the Plaintiff recover against =
      the
      said Defendant the sum of Three pounds six shillings and four pence with
      Interest thereon to be computed at the rate of five per centum per annum fr=
      om
      the twenty second day of april One thousand seven hundred and ninety until =

      Payment. Together with his costs by him in this behalf expended. And the =

      said Defendant in mercy de. And it is ordered that Execution of this Judgm=
      ent
      be stayed until christmas next.

      Halifax Co, VA September Court 1790 Plea Book 15 55
      John Hicks against Wright Moorefield On a petition
      This day came as well the Plaintiff by his attorney as the Dft in his Prope=
      person and the said Defendant acknowledged the Plts Petition. Therefore It=
      is
      considered by the Court that the Petitioner Recover against the said
      Defendant the sum of Two pounds nineteen shillings and seven pence with
      legal interest thereon from the 24th day of May 1790 until payment. And hi=
      Costs by him in this behalf expended. And it is Ordered that Execution be =

      stayed until Christmas next.