Re: [MOREFIELDHOMEPLACE] Friday Travels

    Message 1 of 11 , May 18, 2003
      On Sunday, May 18, 2003, at 11:23 PM, William Frank Moorefield, III
      wrote:

      > in Virginia
      > Beach, and to do research.  For some time, I have wanted to go to
      > Granville Co., N.C. to see if I could find a record on James
      > Moorefield, who appeared there on a property tax record in the mid
      > 1700's, I forget the exact year, but you can go to www. rootsweb.com,
      > go to Granville county, and read a transcription of the record. I
      > transcribed all the birth, marriage, and death records there, but
      > could find no record of James.  The first will book does

      Bill,

      In a published book of land entries in Granville, NC, I found a land
      record for James Murfield in 1755. I later found in another book a
      militia record for a James Murfield in Granville in 1754. I have
      wondered if he could be the James Morefield mentioned in a court case
      in Haliax in the mid 1760s. The books that I consulted didn't give
      details other than dates and the parties involved.

      Some observations...

      .since this James was on public records in 1754, he must have been born
      by @1735-ish, and possibly considerably earlier to be able to buy land
      (unless he had just been an heir).

      John of Lunenburg died 1751, then James shows up in Granville in 1754.
      Hmmmm....

      Today, the northwest corner of Granville, NC borders the southeast
      corner of Halifax, VA. Halifax, VA was formed 1752 from Lunenburg.
      Mecklenburg, VA was formed 1764/65 from Lunenburg. Person Co, NC,
      which is directly south of Halifax, was formed 1791 from Caswell, NC;
      Caswell was formed 1777 from Orange; Orange was formed 1762 from
      Bladen/Granville/Johnston. So, if I've figured this right, James could
      have been living in a part of Granville that later became Orange and
      still later Caswell and still later Person. Hmmmm....

      What are the chances that a James Murfield was living that close to
      Edward & John and was not related to them?

      Here are some early James MFLDs of NC:

      1768 James Morefield Rowan Co.
      1778 James Morefield Rowan Co.
      1800 James Murfield Stokes Co.
      1820 James Morefield Guilford Co.

      In 1768 and 1778 Rowan, NC included present day Davie and Davidson Co.
      Stokes, NC was formed 1789 from Surry and included present day Forsyth.
      Guilford, NC was formed 1770/1771 from Rowan/Orange.

      I'm not proposing that the 1755, 1768, 1778, 1800 and 1820 James was
      the same person, although it is within the realm of possibility--if he
      was born 1735-ish, he would have been 85 in 1820. (The 1755 Granville
      James could have been born earlier than 1735, but not much later.)

      In 1830 there was a James Morefield, age 60-70, in Carter Co, TN (later
      Johnson Co, TN). Although they didn't appear on census records, the
      MFLDs must have been in northeast TN by 1819, when Vincent Morefield m.
      Margaret/Peggy Netherly. The Johnson Co. MFLDs consistently put NC as
      their PoB. There were MFLDs in Ashe Co, NC as early as 1790--just over
      the mountain from Johnson Co, TN. There are good indications that some
      early Surry Co, NC MFLDs moved to Ashe Co, NC, and there are good
      indications that some later (1840s and later) Surry Co, NC MFLDs moved
      to Johnson Co, TN and bordering Washington Co, VA. Hmmm.....

      Pat

    • William Frank Moorefield, III
      Message 2 of 11 , May 18, 2003
        Well, I set out on another Moorefield adventure this past Friday.
        Since 1979, I have attempted to participate annualy in one of the
        largest running events in Virginia, the Elizabeth River Run. this is
        a 10 kilometer, (6.2 miles), race in Norfolk along the Elizabeth
        River. It has had as many as 3,000 runners, and these days has close
        to 2,000. I over stretched my left achiles tendon this past winter,
        and have had to quit running for a while. For the last few years my
        two sons, Will and Wes, have run this with me. This year, Wes did
        not, but Will said he was going to. So, I scheduled this Friday and
        Saturday off, Friday for a day of travel to my sister's in Virginia
        Beach, and to do research. For some time, I have wanted to go to
        Granville Co., N.C. to see if I could find a record on James
        Moorefield, who appeared there on a property tax record in the mid
        1700's, I forget the exact year, but you can go to www. rootsweb.com,
        go to Granville county, and read a transcription of the record. I
        transcribed all the birth, marriage, and death records there, but
        could find no record of James. The first will book does contain a
        will for a Mayfield, (Abraham, I believe), written in 1788, and the
        woods in Granville, and adjoining Vance County are full of Mayfields.
        I wonder the obvious, but have too many things to do to go there now.
        After leaving the city of Oxford, where the folks in the court house
        are as nice as any, I drove east to Henderson, N.C. (Vance Co.) to see
        what I could find there. Oops, another line, or part of one. Robert
        Lee and Ethyl Hall Morefield, had several children there beginning
        about 1901. Death records of a couple of children say he was born in
        Pennsylvania, and she in Va. Are bells going off??? Another death
        record of one of their children says both were born in Va. I remember
        a post a while back on another board in which a lady said her g
        grandfather was born in Penn., when I knew he was born in
        Pittsylvsania Co., Va. This afternoon, using the anywho website, I
        looked up the phone number of Robert Ray Moorefield of Henderson,
        N.C., a grandson. Robert was born in 1932, and we had a very
        enjoyalbe talk of over 30 minutes. Grandfather Bob died in 1916 in
        Raleigh, and no one in the family knows the name of his parents, but
        Robert knew they both came from Va. Something else to work on.
        Robert said he always thought he had no Moorefield relatives and was
        very excited about the call, and plans to come to the Homecoming. From
        Henderson, I drove up 85 to South Hill, and east on 58 to
        Lawrenceville, Va., county seat for Brunswich Co. Lunenburg Co. was
        cut out of Brunswick Co. in 1746. Edward Morefield sold property in
        L. Co. in 1756, but there is no record there as to how he aquired it.
        I hoped there would be a record in Brunswick. Now most of you know
        how the Union Army destroyed court records as they went through Va.
        counties. There is a very interesting story in front of one of the
        Brunswick Co. court books. It seems the clerk of the court at the
        time was a Mason, and when word arrived of the approaching Union Army,
        he spread his Masonic apron over a table in the court house. After
        the Union army had withdrawn, he went back into the courthouse to
        find the floor full of papers with bottles of ink strewn all over
        them. BUT, the Union soldiers had torn up blank papers, and also torn
        blank pages out of the record books to put on the floor. The Union
        general was also a Mason. All written records were intact. However, I
        foung no mention of Edward, nor of any of my Wilmouth or Torian
        ancestors, which I had hoped to.

        By the way, I arrived in Norfolk about 7:00 P.M., had a great time
        walking around downtown which is beautiful these days, and went to my
        sister's about 8:30. Will is working in Dayton, Ohio on a GAO
        project, and could not get a flight back to DC until late. He then
        drove to Va. Beach, arriving there at 1:00 A.M. We were both up by
        6:30 and down to Norfolk. He finished in 60:16, about 5 minutes
        slower than last year, and boy was it cold. Next Year. Bill in
        Martinsville
        Message 3 of 11 , May 19, 2003
          Now that you mention it, I do have a vague memory of a discussion about
          a land record that referred to James Morefield's land. The court case
          I was referring to was a law suit against James Morefield and Elizabeth
          Morefield. Again, I didn't see the record itself, but found the
          reference in a published book of court cases, which included the barest
          of details. Here is the reference:

          Halifax County Virginia Court Orders, 1766-1767 Plea Book No. 5, part 2
          August Court 1766 p. 300
          Thomas McMahan, Plt, vs. James Morefield & Elizabeth Morefield, Deft,
          In Case. The Plt not residing in this Colony, and failing to give
          security for costs, on the mostion of the Defts by their atty, ordered
          that this suit be dismissed.

          So...*IF* the James who was sued in Halifax, the James of the Halifax
          land record and the James of Granville was the same person, it appears
          that he maintained ties to Halifax after moving to Granville, or else
          he moved back. It also would be logical to speculate that he was the
          James in Rowan in 1768.

          It seems less logical to me that the James of Halifax and James of
          Granville were two different people, because of the small number of
          records of a James in Halifax. The fact that here were so many court
          records with reference to Edward and John, makes the single reference
          to James in the plea books of that era strike me as very odd--it seems
          that Edward and John sued everyone else in the county, and everyone
          else sued them. In the absence of reality TV, maybe law suits were the
          main entertainment of the region.

          Pat

          Message 4 of 11 , May 19, 2003
            <pseaver@c...> wrote:

            >> Bill,
            >
            > In a published book of land entries in Granville, NC, I found a land
            > record for James Murfield in 1755. I later found in another book a
            > militia record for a James Murfield in Granville in 1754. I have
            > wondered if he could be the James Morefield mentioned in a court case
            > in Haliax in the mid 1760s. The books that I consulted didn't give
            > details other than dates and the parties involved.
            >
            > Some observations...
            >
            > .since this James was on public records in 1754, he must have been born
            > by @1735-ish, and possibly considerably earlier to be able to buy land
            > (unless he had just been an heir).
            >
            > John of Lunenburg died 1751, then James shows up in Granville in 1754.
            > Hmmmm....
            >
            >Pat, I seem to remember messages with Bob a couple of years ago in
            which we discussed James' 1765 appearance in a Halifax deed book, (he
            was renting a farm being sold at the time), and later appearing in
            Rowan co., N.C. I think we pretty much convinced ourselves he was the
            same person. I would have no case to argue that he was not also the
            James of Granville Co in 1754-55. And I feel strongly that even if
            there were 2, 3, or even 4 James Mflds (my generic spelling) of the
            era, they were all closely related. Realistically, I think there
            were one or two, but no more. And I think these Mayfields I ran into
            in Granville and Vance counties Friday were very possibly descendants
            of John of New Kent as well. I have seen his name spelled as
            "Marfield", and that could become "Mayfield" very easily. The
            geography and timing certainly fit. Only a record showing a Mayfield
            family migrating into Va. or N.C. before 1788 would lessen my
            inclination to see a connection. I have hopes to go to Ashe county and
            the nearby counties in Va./N.C. in the next few weeks. I told Judy
            (my wife) that I was going to take a short vacation and just do this
            and she gave me permission. I also want to spend a day in Raleigh and
            a day in Richmond looking at old records, but have to keep telling
            myself that it can't all be done in one week. Thanks for your
            thoughts. Bill
            Message 5 of 11 , May 20, 2003
              I spent today at the McClung Library in Knoxville. Below are the data
              I found on MFLDs in Rowan Co. If there are no notes after a title, it
              means that I checked the index, but didn't find any MFLDs.

              There isn't much new here, but I did turn up two records I had never
              seen before: a John Morefield, age 7, orphan in 1789; and a Fethire
              Morefield mentioned as the eldest daughter of William Warner in 1804.
              Since Fethire was already married in 1804, let's say that she was born
              at least by 1785 (and possibly much earlier). That would make her a
              contemporary of the John left an orphan in 1789. Looking at the other
              Rowan records, we have James, Blackman, John Bn. and John. It appears
              that Blackman could be John Bn. and possibly also John. The last
              mention I see of James was 1783, while John is still around in 1791.
              From that, I would *speculate* that the orphaned John was the son of
              James.

              Pat

              Rowan County, North Carolina Tax Lists 1757-1800 Jo White Linn
              1768 Rowan County Tax List of John ford (became Davidsonj)
              James Morefield 1 poll
              1778 Rowan County Tax List Capt. Moore�s District
              Blackman Moorefield
              James Moorefield
              1784 Rowan County Tax List of Capt. Carson
              John Bn. Morefield: 1 WP
              1791 Tax List of Capt. William Millsap�s Company (present day Davidson)
              Morefield, John: 1 WP

              Rowan County, North Carolina Vacant Land Entries 1778-1789 Richard A.
              Enochs 1988
              #1614 James Morefield 300 A on head springs of a branch of Swearing Crk
              called Beaver Dam & begining [sic] about 1/2 mile below sd spring &
              runing [sic]
              agreeable to law for Compliment
              #1744 Arthur Oneal 200 A on head of Beaver Dam & adj James Morefield,
              John Ford, John Hollis & Helmshtettler. Made to Wm. Moore.
              #2619 George Reed 100 A on waters of Dycas� Mill Crk & adj James
              Morefield, John Hollis & John Reess

              Abstracts of the Minutes of the Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions
              Rowan County, North Carolina 1753-1762 v. 1 Jo White Linn 1977

              Abstracts of the Minutes of the Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions
              Rowan County, North Carolina 1763-1774 v. II by Jo White Linn 1979

              Abstracts of the Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions Rowan County,
              North Carolina 1775-1789 v. III Jo White Linn 1982
              4: 174 8 aug 1778 Nonjurors in Capt. Little�s District:...Soloman
              Marfield
              4:174 8 aug 1778 Nonjurors in Cap. Lyons� District: ... David Maxfield
              5:240 5 aug 1789 John Morefield, 7 yrs., 3 mos. Orphan & poor child of
              Rowan bound to Robert Dial.
              Acct. of Sales of Samuel Spurgeon decd. filed

              Abstracts of Wills and Estates Records of Rowan county, North Carolina
              1753-1805 and Tax Lists of 1759 and 1778 Jo White Linn 1980

              E. 6 William (X) Warner. 1 oct. 1804 prb. 1806. Planter. Wife
              Elizabeth to have home plantation then to sons John & William. Eldest
              dau, Fethire Morefield. Daus: Maria Wilson, Srah Lannon, Nancy Cooper
              (youngest). Grandosn, Daniel Warner. Exrs: wife Elizabeth, son
              William. Wit: George Snider, Martin (X) Trantham.
              1778 Rowan Co. Tax List Capt. Morris� District
              Polls Blackman Moorefield, James Morefield

              Abstracts of Deed Books 15-19 of Rowan County North Carolina 1797-1807
              James w. Kluttz 1997

              Abstracts of Deed Books 11-14 of Rowan county North Carolina 1786-1797
              James W. Kluttz 1996
              Morfield, John Blackmon 1773 p. 33. 16 jan 1792. Mortgage
              John Blackmon Morfield (X) to Catherine Miller for L20, �Two Black
              Horses Branded on the Near shoulder Sterip Iron, two pots one ax and
              one Mattock one Saddle one Great Coat two Spinning Wheels� If Morfield
              does not repay the stated amount before 1 Mar next, the property is
              forfeited to Miller. Wit: Blaase John [sic], Michael Tracy. Prvd. by
              John Blaze [sic] in open Ct on 9 Feb 1793.

              Rowan County N.C. Index Loose Estate Papers 1750-1927 June Clodfelter
              Watson (N.D.)

              Index for Early Landowners of Rowan County NC
              James W. Kluttz 1995

              Rowan County, North Carolina Deed Abstracts v. 1 1753-1762 Books 1-4
              Jo White Linn (N.D.)

              Rowan County, North Carolina Deed Abstracts v. 2 1762-1772 Books 5,6, 7
              Jo White Linn 1972

              Rowan County North Carolina Will Abstracts v. 1 1753-1805 Books A-F
              Jo White Linn 1970

              Rowan County North Carolina Will Abstracts v. 2 1805-1850 Books G-K
              Jo White Linn 1971

              Abstracts of the Deeds of Rowan County, North Carolina 1753-1785 Vols.
              1-10
              Jo White Linn 1983

              1815 Rowan County, North Carolina Tax List
              Jo White Linn 1987

              Rowan County NC Court of Pleas & Quarter Sessions 1815-1816
              June clodfelter Watson (N.D.

              Marriages of Rowan County, NC 1901-1925 Robert H. Knotts (N.D.)
              Ora Lillian Morefield m. Raymond Alexander witherspoon 4 oct 1919
              Rowan, NC

              Marriages of Rowan County, North Carolina 1868-1900 v. 2
              Robert H. Knotts (N.D.)

              Patricia Moorefield Seaver
              Loudon, Tennessee

              Message 6 of 11 , May 21, 2003
                Went back to the McClung Library in Knoxville today to extract
                Morefield references from the following book:

                Records of Johnson County, Tennessee County Court Minutes 1836-1854
                Book 1 Vol. 1
                Copying Historical Records Project
                Works Progress Administration
                Official Project No. 168-44-6502
                Mrs. John Trotwood Moore, State Librarian & Archivist Sponsor
                Worker: Mrs. Lucile Thomas November 13, 1936

                (Pat�s notes:
                1. page numbers are the numbers of the pages of the minutes, not the
                pages in the book
                2. underlined words were underlined in the transcription to indicate
                an error; Pat placed [sic] after errors not indicated by the
                transcriber)

                May Session 1836
                p. 7
                p. 8
                Ordered by the Court that James Taylor James Cawson Vincient [sic]
                Morefield Charles Anderson Crampton Reed Lews Venable Joseph and
                Benjamin Adams and John Minks be the hands to work the publick Road
                from the top of the dividing Ridge to William Dorans mile post and that
                James Taylor be and is appointed overseer of said road

                September Term 1838
                p. 42
                Ordered by the court that Robert L. Doran be and is appointed overseer
                of the Road from Wm. Dorans house to the lime kiln near Hase Wardens
                and have the same hands and bounds that Smith had on said road (to wit,
                p. 43
                the hands on the farms of james Keys, Henry Smith, William Michael,
                James and Henry Morefield, Jos Suttles, William Dorans, Robert L
                Dorans, Hiram Cornutt, Michael McCann, John D Wills, Petter Wills

                p. 44
                Ordered by the court that Claeb [sic] Wills be and is appointed in the
                Room and stead of Robert L Doran overseer of the Road from William
                Dorans house to the Lime kiln near Huse Wardens and have the same hands
                and bounds that said Doran had on said Road To wit Jas Keyes, Henry
                Smith, William Michael, John D Wills, Jas Morefield, Henry Morefield,
                Jo Suttles, William Doran, Robert L. Doran, Michael McCann, Peter
                Wills, Hiram Cornutt

                State of Tennessee
                Johnson County County Court Nov Term 1839

                p. 54
                Ordered by the court that Robert W Keys be and is appointed overseer
                of the road in the room and stead of Caleb Wills from William Dorans
                house to the Lime kiln near Huse Wardens and have the same hands and
                bounds that said Wills had (with the addition of Alexander Doran &
                William Able) To wit James Keys, Henry Smith, Michael McCann, John D.
                Wills, James and Henry Morefield, William Cornutt, William Doran, Robt
                L Doran, William Michael, Peter Wills & Hiram Cornutt

                State of Tennessee County Court
                Johnson County May Session 1840

                p. 67
                Ordered by the court that R W Keys be and is appoointed overseer in
                the room and stead of Caleb Wills from Wm. Dornas House to the lime
                kiln near Huse Wardens and have the hands on the following farms or
                lands to wit Alexr Doran William Able James keys Henry Smith Michael
                McCann John D Wills where V Morefield lives William Cornutt Wm. Doran J
                Sutherland Wm Michaels Peter Wills Hiram Cornutt and Jno W Smith

                State of Tennessee County Court
                Johnson County Decr Term 1841

                p. 90
                Ordered by the court that Joseph Sutherland be appointed overseer of
                the Second Class road in the room and Stead of R.W. Keys from Wm.
                Dorans house to the lime kiln near Huse Warden and work the hands on
                following Farms or lands to wit Peter Mocks, Wm. Able, James Keys,
                Henry Smith, Michael McCann, Jno D. Wills, where Vincent Morefield
                lived, william Cornutt, Wm. Doran, Joseph Sutherland, Wm. Michaels,
                Peter Wills, Hiram Cornutt & John W Smith

                (Pat�s note: note the use of �lived� instead of �lives� with reference
                to Vincent)

                State of Tennessee County Court
                Johnson County Feburary [sic] Term 1842
                p. 92
                Ordered by the court that William Doran be appointed overseer of the
                second class Road in the room & stead of R.W. Keys from Wm. Dorans
                House to the lime kiln near Huse Wardens and work the hands on the
                following farms or lands to wit. Peter Mocks, Wm. Able, James Keys,
                Henry Smith, M McCann Jno D Wills where Vincent Morefield lived Wm.
                Cornutt Wm. Doran Joseph sutherland Wm. Michaels Peters Wills H Cornutt
                and J.W. Smith

                (Pat�s note: note the use of �lived� instead of �lives� with reference
                to Vincent)

                State of Tennessee Johnson County
                County Court Auigust Term 1842

                p. 103
                Odered by the court that the folllowing persons be summoned by the
                Sheriff to compose the Grand Jury at the Nov. Term of the circuit court
                for this county district No 1 tTomas Johnson J.B. Moorefield Thomas
                Greer District No 2 Lewis Venable, A.M. Wilson, Jos. Slimp, A Johnson &
                John Adams District No 3 Jarrett Arrendell, L. McElyea & B Stewart.
                District No 4 Nick Stout, Danl Reece, W B Carter, Al Wilson, District
                No 5 Casper Cable Jno R White Jno Shull Wm B Dugger & A W Baker
                District No 6 J R Campbell & M Smithpeters district No 7 Abr Low Jesse
                Crosswhite District No 8 Bona Blevins & Wm Tipton Constables David D
                Stout & Hiram Cornutt

                State of Tennessee County Court
                Johnson County April Term 1843

                p. 116
                On the application of John Grace it is ordered by the court that the
                following persons be appointed a Jury of view to examine a change of
                road from where Jno Grace lives to interesect the old road on the North
                or East side of the ford below E. Dixons and assess the damages if any
                & report to next court. E. Lion, J. Suthereland, W. Michael, John
                Mock, Thos. Greer, J.B. Morefield, H. Cornutt, & J.W. Smith

                State of Tennessee County Court
                Johnson County May Term 1844

                p. 138
                Ordered by the court that Alfred Wilson be appointed overseer of the
                second class road from Shows X Roads to the falls on Roans creek and
                work the following lands and bounds To wit Richd Teaster Wm Teaster
                Henry Morefield, Daniel Snider, Samuel Forrister Thomas Forrister
                Andrew Forrister Jackson Proffit John Teaster Larkin McElyea Daniel
                Swinney and Jethco Snider

                State of Tennessee County Court
                Johnson County June Term 1844

                p. 139
                Ordered by the court that Abraham Gregson be appointed overseer of the
                first class road from Waugh Street in Taylorsville to Showns X Roads
                and work the hands and the following houses and farms. All the hands
                from Waugh Street to the East end of Taylorsville. A.T. Wilson, Joseph
                Johnson, James C Smyth, Lewis Kiser, Hugh Jenkins, Abraham Gregson, R.
                W. Hawkins and James Morefield.

                State of Tennessee County Court Novr Term 1844
                Johnson County

                p. 145
                Ordered by the court that Thos. Greer be appointed overseer of a
                second class road from the mile post near Hughs Wardens to the Virginia
                line & work the hands on the following farmes David Gentry John B
                Morefield John W Smith John A Mock Joseph H Grace james Able John Grace
                John Wards Levi Farris and E Lyon Samuel Ellison John Langly F
                Helmsteller Hiram Cornutt E Dixon Thomas Greer.

                October Term 1845
                p. 183
                The sheriff of Johnson County I.W. McQueen produced in open court the
                following list of Insolvents subjects taxation for the year 1845 To wit
                Wm. Arnold G.M. Bacon Joseph Gilbert j.H. Michael John Sexton John
                Langly A.L. Gwoodwin James Mains Daniel Wilson Bumgardner L Baylee
                Elijah Dotson Johile Fletcher Alfred Hammons Simon Slemp J Teaster
                James Comming Daniel Morefield J Proffitt David Slimp G W Laremore Wm.
                Teaser P. Teaster N Tester J Tester J H Vaught 100 acres land not found
                G Wagner J Lawherson H Baily Wm. Bunton G W Campbell W C Clemmens D
                Cornell Isorn McCloud Christener Stufflestreet G Stufflestreet Robt
                Sisk L.C. Wilson Joseph Heaton clabor Kite M W.Morley Vaught Rason
                James Stout J H L shown Thos Seeney John Heaton C. Moret H Powell it is
                ordered by the court that the shff have a credit with the County
                Trustee for $51.371/2 cents

                December Term 1845
                State of Tennessee
                Johnson County

                p. 188
                Ordered by the court that Abraham Johnson Jailor be allowed the sum of
                forty four dollars 12 1/2 cents for keeping David Morefield in Johnson
                County prisoner from 18th July to 11th day of Novr 1835 and furnishing
                food &(?)c and two Turnkeys said Morefield was ordered of the circuit
                court at July Term 1845 placed in said prison to be paid by the Trustee
                out of any money in the Treasury of said County not otherwise

                (Pat�s note: the transcription says Novr 1835--this must be a
                transcription error. After the word �food� thereis a strikeover
                followed by the letter �c�--appears to be �&c�---etc.?.)

                p. 189
                Ordered by the court that Meredy B Dunn be and is appoiinted overseer
                of a second class road from Showns Cross roads to the falls on the
                south fork of roans creek and that the hands on the farmes of widow
                Forister and the following hands richard Teaster Wm Teaster Hanry [sic]
                Morefield Jackson Proffitt Nathaniel Teastter Larkin McElyea William S
                Widby Martin Marshall be assigned him to work said road

                April Term A D 1846
                State of Tennessee

                p. 203
                Ordered by the court that the following Bills of cost were made out by
                the clerk of the circuit court of Johnson County for costs which have
                accrued on behalf of the state upon prosecutions in said court below
                the grade of Petis Larcey which Bills of cost are here present & amount
                to the sums following To wit
                State Vs William Gilleland two cases presentments for
                Tippling one for $13.871/2 & the other $14.12 1/2 $28.00
                State Vs Peter Vaugh & Sarah Kinnerly Presentment adulty $12.75
                State Vs Joseph Bone, Penalty for Peddling without License $ 4.12
                State Vs John Nicks Dr Do $ 4.12
                State Vs William & Allen Dotson Indictments for sabbath breaking $
                6.12
                State Vs David Lindsey Peace Warrant $ 4.87
                State Vs Polly Lu Allen Ludness adultry [sic] $ 9.00
                Staate Vs John Jones & Danl Dotson Gamming [sic] $13.58 3/4
                State Vs David Morefield Indictments $11.43 1/4
                N.V. & State Vs Margaret Netherly Presentment Lewdness &c $69.75
                State Vs John Stalcup & others presentment sabbath breaking $15.72 1/2
                State Vs Heath & Twidwell Indictments A & B $101.62 1/2
                State Vs Washington Heaton Presentment sabbath breaking $ 7.75
                State Vs Reuben Wallace Indictments A & B Heath prostr
                $114.87
                Jo.O. Potter & State Vs Reuben Wallace DEo R & assault &c
                Twidwell Prosts $69.62 1/2

                Monday 1st day of June 1846
                State of Tennessee

                p. 211
                Ordered that Alexr Greer be and is appointed overseer of a second
                class road leading up Mill Creek from the big falls of said creek to
                the middle of the high Bridge below Arrnedells Mill and have the same
                hands on the farms of Washington Snyder Jno W May, Jefferson May
                Archibald Jackson thomas Cook senr Alexr Greer Drury Wallace, James
                Moorefield Allen Dotson Gideon Lewis Burrel Guy Adam Snyder & Andrew W
                Williams as hands to work said road
                Issued 8th June 1846

                Monday 6th day of July A D 1846
                State of Tennessee

                p. 215
                Ordered by the court that the following named persons be placed upon
                the lists of paupers for Johnson County for the year 1846 and that they
                be allowed the following sums to aid in supporting and maintaining them
                for said year To wit Sarah Wright $15 Solomon Cossy $8 John Moorefield
                $8 Henry Dunn $8 and Danl Swinny $8, which sums shall be paid to said
                paupers respectively by the trustee of Johnson County out of the pauper
                fund of Johnson County for 1846. Esq Keys, Heath, Grace, Cole, Moore,
                Danl Arrendell, Crosswhite, Shown and Wagner all voting for said
                allowance noes none John Morefield Isd order Henry Dunn to order
                Solomon cossy 1st August 1846 Sarah Wright to order Jesse Cole 29 Augt
                1846

                Monday 5sth Day of Octr A D 1846
                State of Tennessee

                p. 220

                Taylorsville 9th Septr 1846
                We the undersigned have proceeded pursuant to act of assembly of the
                State of Tennessee passed 24th Decr 1845 Chapter 32. Section 1 to
                ascertain the amount of money in the hands of Alexr. D Smith Clerk of
                the Circuit Court of the County of Johnson that has been inhis hands
                for more than two years and one to witness officers &c Collected from
                unsuccessful suits in court from state or County treasury, and find the
                following sums in his hands To wit in the case
                State vs Mary Gunn Atto Genl Brabson $3. Witness Jesse Cole $1.50
                State vs Lucenda and Matilda Venable Justice Warren $1.00
                State vs Danl Slimp witness Leonard Shown $1.00
                State vs Joshua Mullins Justice T Johnson $.75
                State vs Ephraim Allison Atto GenlxBrabson $2.50
                State vs Joseph Furgason Jr witness Hiram Baker, Adam Snider, Rowland
                Jenkins
                Harden Williams Danl Snider Each 50c Atto Genl
                x Brabsont $3 $5.50
                State vs John Mooreland atto General x Brobson �2.50
                State vs D L & Henry Stout Justice Warren $1.00
                State vs B Stuart witneess Henry Moorefield .50
                Total $19.95

                (Pat�s note: John Mooreland was probably John Mooreland; there were
                several Morelands listed in the index.)

                Monday 7th day of Decr A D 1846
                State of Tennessee

                p. 227
                I.W. McQueen high sheriff of Johnson County made eturn into open court
                of the following list of insolvent subjects of taxation in said County,
                for the year 1846 To wit. James Griffith, William Laxton, John Laxton,
                Jesse Farmer, John H. Johnson, James Moorefield, Calvvin J. Moore not
                in cty, James Morris, Hamilton C. Smith not in County ....

                Monday 5th day of April A D 1847
                State of Tennessee

                p. 238
                Ordered by the court that David L Keys be and is appointed overseer of
                a second class Road from William Dorans house to the lime kiln near
                Hughes Wardens and that the hands on the farms of Peter Willis, Joseph
                Sutherland, William Doran, William Cornutt, William Michael, Henry
                Smith, James Keys, Robt W. Keys, Michael (or James) McCann, John W.
                Smith, Henry Mock Jr. the place know as the Todd place) John B.
                Moorefield, be and are assigned him to work said Road Issued 3th Apl
                1847

                Ordered by the court that the following named persons are considered
                paupers and entitled to public charity and that they be allowed for
                their support for the year 1847--as follows to wit Hezekiah Holgood
                five dollars, John Moorfield ten dollars. Henry Dunn twenty dollars.
                Daniel Sweeny twenty five dollars Rebecca Duncan fifteen dollars. John
                McCall ten dollars. Sarah Wright thirty dollars and that sd respective
                wsums be paid to them by the Trustee of Johnson County out of the fund
                levied & assigned for a pauper fund for the year 1847 for Johnson
                County Issued to Swinny and Duncan 8th Apl 1847- Issd to Holgood 8th
                Apl 1847- Issued to Jno Moorfield 10th Apl- Issued Sarah Wright to
                order Jesse Cole

                p. 239
                Ordered by the court that the following sums be issued to the
                following persons for costs accrued in the circuit court of Johnson
                County on state prosecutions following all of which has been made out
                by the clerk of sd court & have been regularly certified to be legal &
                just &c by the atto Genl and the Judge of sd court which bills of costs
                with their certificates are filed & constitute part of this record To
                wit in the case State vs Ann Moorfield Atto Genl Thos A R Nelson $2.50
                Shff I.W. McQueen .62 1/2c clk Alexr D. Smith $6.75. .....
                State vs Vincent Moorfield witness E.B. Musgraves $1.50 Isac Osburn Jr
                $1.50 D Shff John $r. Moore .50c

                State of Tennessee
                Johnson County
                ...1st Monday being the 4th day of October 1847

                p. 253
                It is ordered by the court that the following sums be pd by the
                Trustee of Johnson County to the following named persons for the costs
                originated in the circuit court of said County in the following cases
                To wit, the bills of costs having been regularly made out by the clerk
                of sd court and the same certified by the atto Genl & the Judge to be
                legal just and correctly taxed by the Clk
                2 state vs David Moorfield Atto Genl Genl [sic] T A R Nelson $2.50
                const D D Spivy 50 cents. Justice G. Moore 50 cents. Shff I.W.
                McQueen 75 cents. Jailor A Johnson $1.37 1/2 Clk Alexr D Smith
                $4.07 1/2
                (14 names, including David)

                Monday April 3rd day A D 1848
                State of Tennessee
                Johnson County

                p. 266
                Ordered by the court that the following named persons paupers of said
                county be each allowed the following sums to wit: John Moorfiled [sic]
                ten Dollars Henry Dunn ten dollars. David Correl ten dollars, Daniel
                Swinney fifteen Dollars. Rebecca Duncan fifteen Dollars. Sarah Wright
                thirty dollars and elizabeth Snyder ten Dollars. The yeas & nays being
                taken the whole number of the Justices Voted in the
                affirmative...Issued Jno Morefield 10 H Dunn to his
                wife-Correll-Swinney-Duncan*Wright-Snider

                p. 269
                Ordered by the court that the following sums be paid to the person to
                whose names the same is annexted the same being costs accruing in the
                circuit court of Johnson County on state prosecutions as follows all of
                which appears legally certified by the Attorney General and Judge of
                said court to be justt and legal & correctly taxed to with: In the case
                4 State vs Rhoda Furgason Atty Genl T A R Nelson $2.50 I W McQueen
                shff $4.75 Henry Moorfield Witness .75cts Abm Johnson Jailor $7.00
                Alexr D Smith Clerk $7.68 1/2

                Monday 5th day of June A.D. 1848
                Johnson County State of Tennessee

                p. 274
                Ordered by the court that Adam Wills be and is appointed overseer of a
                Second class road from the mile post at william Dorans to the lime kiln
                near Huse Wardens in the room & Stead of D.L. Keys and that the hands
                ont he farms of Peter Wills Joseph Smith James Keys R W Keys Michael or
                James McGann John W Smith, John B Morefield Henry Mocks be and are
                assigned him to work said road - Issued

                Monday 2nd day of April 1849

                p. 291
                Ordered by the court that the following named persons paupers of said
                County be allowed the following sums to wit John Morefield fifteen
                dollars Henry Dunn firteen dollars Rebecca Duncan fifteen dollars
                Susannah Mullen Ten dollars Elizabeth Snider five dollars The yeas &
                nays being taken the following Justices voting in the affirmative To
                wit G Moore R Crosswhite R Moore W. E. Johnson E.L. Dugger R W Keys G.
                W. Roberts W Cole W. S. Blevins and Peter D Wills - Issued, R.D. H D E
                S Oran To donelly S.M.

                Monday 7th day of May 1849

                p. 295
                Ordered by the court that the allowance made at the April Term of this
                court to John Morefield a pauper who has since departed this life after
                buriel & other Expenses are paid the balance to be paid to his widow
                Elizabeth Morefield -Issued

                Monday 4th day of June 1849

                p. 296
                Ordered by the court that Alexander Doran be and is appointed overseer
                o a second class Road from the mile post at William Dorans to the lime
                kiln near Huse Wardens in the room and stead of Adams Wills and that
                the hands on the farms of Joseph Sutherland William Doran Wm Cornutt Wm
                Michael Henry Smith James Keys R W Keys Michael or James McCann John W.
                Smith J B Morefield Lewis Venable & David L Keys be assigned him to
                work said Road- Issued

                Monday 6th day of August 1849
                p. 302
                Ordered by the court that alexander Doran be and is appointed overseer
                of a Second Class road from the mile post at Wm. Dorans to the
                limekiiln near Huse Wardens and that the hands on the Farms of Peter
                Wills Joseph Sutherland Wm Doran Wm cornutt Wm Michael Henry Smith
                James Keys R W Keys Michael or James McCann John W. Smith J B Morefield
                Lewes Venable David L. Keys & G Moreland & Jacob M Worley be assigned
                him to work said Road - Issued

                p. 303
                ordered by the court that the following sums be paid to the persons
                whose name the same is annexed the same being cost accrued in the
                circuit court of Johnson County on State procsecutions as follows
                State vs. John Morefield Shff I.W. McQueen for executing warrant 50
                calling cause 4 .54 Justice G. Moore for Judgt. & Recognizance .50
                A.D. Smith Clerk $4.871/2
                State vs. Margaret Morefield & Rebecca Netherly Shff I.W. McQueen for
                summoning 8 witnesses for state $2.00 Witnesses P.M. Kiser for three
                days attendance for state $2.25 George w. Fenner 3 days attendant=ce
                $2.25 Adam Wagner 3 days $2.25 Abraham Johnson for 2 days $1.50
                Thos. Smith 33 days $2.25 James D. Donally for 3 days & sixty six
                miles traveling from Carter co. $5.64
                State vs Alfred Cook & Martha Musgrave Shff I.W. Mcqueen for summoning
                12 for state $3 for returning Subps. for 10 witnesses for state not
                found $1.25 $.25 Witnesses John Musgrave Hetty Musgraves Elizabeth
                Musgraves Mary Adkins Isaac Osborn Andrew Potter Sarah Potter
                Ephrien Osborn Barbary Morefiled [sic] John Potter Abm. Potter Each
                proves 2 day for state $1650
                State vs. Lucinda Morefield Witnesses for the state Geo W Fenner Thos.
                S Smyth James D Donally & Adam Wagner each attended 1 day $3.00

                Monday 3rd day of September 1849

                p. 305
                Ordered by the court that Alexr Doran be and is appointed overseer of
                a Second Class road from the mile post near Mcquowns Meadow to the mile
                post at Wm. Dorans and that the hands on the farms of M. or James
                McCann Lewis Venable James Keys John and Henry Smith Wm. Michaels, John
                B Morefield Wm Cornutt Peter Wills Joseph Sutherland Wm Doran & R.W.
                Keys be assigned him to work said Road -Issued

                Monday 3rd. day of December 1849

                p. 308
                I.W. McQueen Sheriff and Collector of State and county Taxes for said
                county made and report to court the following list of Insolvent
                subjects of Taxation for the year 1849 ...John Morefield 75 ....the
                insolvent claims making the sum of thirty three 33 dollars and seventy
                five 75 cents and he having been qualified to the same. ...
                (Pat�s note: the 75 appears to be 75 cents, the amount paid to each
                named insolvent)

                Monday 2nd day of September 1850

                p. 333
                Ordered by the court that the following sums be paid to the person
                whose name the same is annexed he same being costs accruing in the
                Circuit Court of Johnson County on State prosecutions, as follows all
                of which appears legally certified by the attorney General and Judge of
                said court to be just legal and correctly Taxed
                To wit in the case...
                State vs Vincent Morefield atto Genl A.A. Kyles Tax fee $2.50 Shff I W
                McQueen Executing Sci fa &c .66 1/4 clerk A.D. Smith $5.37

                Monday 7th day of October 1850

                p. 334
                Ordered by the court that James H Wills be and is appointed overseer
                of a Second class Road in place of Alexr. Doran fromthe mile post near
                McQuowns Meadow to the mile Post at Wm. Dorans and that the hands ont
                he farms of M. or James McCann, Lewis Venable James Keys John & Henry
                Smith Wm Michaels J.B. Morefield Wm Cornutt Peter Wills Jos. Sutherland
                Wm. Doran & R.W. Keys be assigned him tow work said road -Issued

                Monday 6th day of January 1851

                p. 341
                State & Harriet Morefield
                Vs Bastardy
                Thomas S. Gentry
                Said Defendan come [sic] into court together with A M Wilson and
                acknowledged
                p. 342
                themselves indebted to the State said Thos S. Gentry in the sum of two
                hundred & fifty dollars and said Wilson in the sum of one hundred &
                twenty five dollars to be levied of their goods & chattels lands and
                Tenennts for the use of the State & Harriet Morefield to be void if the
                said Thomas S Gentry shall make his personal appearance at the next
                Term of this court and answer the charge against him and not depart the
                court without leave as upon affidvit this cause is continued until next
                Term of this court

                Monday 3rd. day of Feburary [sic] 1851

                p. 344
                State & Harriet Morefield
                Vs Case Bastardy
                Thomas S. Gentry
                In this case the defendant Thos S Gentry was summoned to the Sheriff
                in open Court and the cause being taken up for trial and the Sheriff
                being called on to bring the defendant to the bar of the court reported
                to the court that the defendant had escaped from his custody and that
                he was unable to produce him and said T S Gentry being called to come
                into court came not, and thereupon leave is allowed the Sheriff until
                next court to produce the defendant who is adjudged by the Court to be
                the Father of the Bastard child charged in the warrant in this case by
                the Prosecutrix it is further considered by the court that the
                prosecutrix Harriet Morefield be allowed the sum of ninety dollars for
                the suppo0rt of said bastard child to be pad as follows to wit forty
                dollars for the first year thirty dollars for the seconed year & twenty
                Dollars for the third year that the defendant be required to give ood &
                sufficient security for the same and that he be in the custody of the
                Sheriff until he gives such security or pays Said Sums it is further
                considered by the court that he enter into good & sufficient Security
                in thge sum of two hundred & fifity dollars conditioned that he keep
                said bastard child from becoming a County Charge that the cause be
                conditioned until the next Term of this court so that the Sheriff may
                produce the defendant that he may comply with the above Judgment of the
                court upon the promises or committed to Jail until he does so.

                Monday 3rd. day of March 1851

                p. 346
                State of Tennessee & Harriet Morefield
                Vs case Bastardy
                Thomas S. Gentry
                In the cause the defendant coome [sic] into court and produced the
                plaintiff Harriet Morefield Recept for the fine in full entered
                against him at the last Term of this court and the court being
                Satisfied as to the geniuness of the Same, it is filed in this court
                and made apart of the record and that Execution only Isue for costs
                and the said defendant entered into Bond together with R.U. Gentry W.B.
                Gentry & J.N. Wilson his securities to keep said child from becoming a
                county charge and to pay the costs of this cause and that execution
                issue against him & his securities fourthwith for the costs accruing in
                this case.

                Monday 6# day of October 1851

                p. 359
                Ordered by the Court that James C.K. Sutherland be and is appointed
                overseer of a Second Class Road in place of J.H. Wills from the mile
                near Mcquowns Meadow to the mile post at Wm. Dorans and that the hands
                on the farms of M or James McCann Lewis Venable James Keys John & Henry
                Smith Wm Michaels J B Morefield Wm Cornutt J.H. Wills Joseph Sutherland
                Wm. Doran & R E Keys be assigned him to work said road -Issued

                Monday 1st of December 1851

                p. 364
                James W. Wright Sheriff and Collector of State and county Taxes for
                said County made and reported the following list of Insolvent subjects
                of Taxation for the year 1859 To wit Henry Morefield 90 Vincent
                Morefield 90 ...

                Monday 2nd Day Feburary [sic] 1852

                p. 368
                Ordered by the court that Henry Morefield Jr be and is appointed
                overseer of a Second Class road in place of I M Cress fromthe west end
                of Taylorsville to the forks of the road at Rowland Jenkins and that
                the hands on the farms of Reuben Fritts Sam Cress W E Johnson T.A.
                Johnson Ury Kean & P D Wiulls where W M Mitchel lives be assigned him
                to work said road

                Monday the 1st day of November 1852

                p. 395
                Ordered by the court that Alfred Widby be appointed overseer of a
                second class road in place of John H Vaught from gillispies furnace to
                the stte line at Griffins gap on the stone mountain and that the hands
                on the farmes of John H Vaught Alfred Widby Richard Teaster Wm. Teaster
                widow Forrister Larkin McElyea & James Morefield be assigned him to
                work said road -Issued

                Ordered by the court that John W. Smith be appointed overseer of a
                second class road in place of James C K southerland fromthe mile post
                near Mcquowns meadow to the mile post at Wm Dorans and that the hands
                on the farms of M or James McCann Lewis Venable James Keys John & Henry
                Smith Wm. Michael J B Morefield Wm cornutt J F Wills Joseph Southerland
                Wm doran & R W Keys be assigned him to work said road -Issued

                Monday the 6th day of December 1852

                p. 398
                Ordered by the court that the following bills of Cost be paid out of
                Johnson County Treasury to the persons to whome the name is annext
                which Bills of cost appear to be Legally certifyed by the Judg & Atty
                General to be Legally taxed the same acruing in the circuit court of
                Johnson County on State Prosecutions
                p. 399
                State Clerk A D Smith $1.75
                vs D Sherriff James H Johnson 50 cents
                F. Morefield
                & Wm Morefield

                Monday the 7th day of Februrary AD 1853

                p. 403
                Green Moore late Justice of the Peace in the 2 Disrict Produced to the
                court & filed his report of moneys collected by him under the samll
                offence Law in words & figures as follows I report to your body the sum
                of Two in July 1852 in the case the state vs Andrew Morefield-Issued
                Ordered by the court that Thomas A. Johnson be appointed overseer of a
                second class road in place of Henry Morefield from the west end of
                Taylorsville to the forks of the roads at Benjamin Johnsons and that
                the hands on the farmes of Reuben Fritts Samuel Cress Wm E Johnson T A
                Johnson Ury Keen P.D. Wills where Wm. Mitchel lives & Rowlin Jenkins
                now farme & the place where A Bradfute now lives be assigned him to
                work said road -Issued

                July Term 1853

                p. 418
                Upon the petition of sundry citizens of Johnson County ordered by the
                Court that the following named persons be appointed & summonded by the
                sheriff of said County as a Jury of view to wit E. Buckels J.E.
                Blankenbeckler John L Blevins Alfred S. Mcqueen Henry Morefield Rowlin
                Jenkins & Wm. E. Johnson to view as to the propriety of a change of
                Road from the mouth of I W. Mcqueens lane to the upper end of his fence
                on the Road leading to Shady to view and stake or Blaise the same if
                they deem the same practicle and report accordingly -Issued

                September Term 1853

                p. 424
                Ordered by the court that the following named persons be attached to
                Jacob Arrendalls overseer road order to wit David Cook Alexander Cook
                Benjamin cook John Teaster and Daniel Morefield -Issued

                November Term 1853

                p. 432
                Ordered by the court that James F. Reece be appointed overseer of a
                second class Road in place of Alfred Widby from Gillispies furnace to
                the state line at Griffins gap on the stone mountain and that the hands
                on the farmes of J.H. Vauht Afr. Widby R. Tester widow Forrister Larkin
                McElyea and James Morefield Pleasant Proffitt John Hawkins and be
                assigned him to work said road -Issued

                Tuesday the 4th day of April A D 1854

                p. 461
                Ordered by the court that the following persons be appinted and
                summoned by the sheriff of Johnson county as the grand and travous
                Jurys to the July Term 1854 to wit
                District 1st Rufus Rudy Abner Eggers & James Michael 3
                District 2 T.A. Johnson John Gentry Gabriel Morefield & Wm J. Wilson 4

                October Term A D 1854

                p. 481
                Ordered by the court that Benjamin Cook be appointed overseer of a
                second class road in place of J. Arnold from the turnpike road by the
                Abner Smith place to the N.C. line at baldwins place and that the hands
                on the farmes of Jacob Arrendell John Philips Thomas cook Britain
                Steward David Jackson Alexander Cook Larkin Dun M B Dunn Goidfrey Dunn
                Henry Dunn Sidney Main Benj Cook Andrew Cook David Cook John Teaster
                and David Morefield be assigned him to work said road -Issued

                Message 7 of 11 , May 21, 2003
                  Here are the notes I took at the McClung Library in Knoxville this
                  week. If there are no notes after a title, it means that I didn't find
                  any MFLDs indexed in the book. I'm including all of the works so that
                  others won't waste time searching the same books.

                  Lee County, Virginia Deeds Index 1793-1844 Mark D. & Phyllis A.
                  Treadway 1997

                  Lee County, Virginia 1890 Pension Census by Mark D. Treadway (N.D.)

                  Lee County, Virginia Death Records 1853-1877 Mark Treadway 1999

                  Lee County, Virginia Court Records v. 1 Death Records
                  Ada Grace Catron 1968

                  Farries(?) Morefield 70 yrs. fell dead 13 feb 1887; parents John &
                  Lettie Morefield; b. Jason (?) Co, TN Sarah Morefield, informant

                  Cemeteries of Lee County, Virginia v. 1
                  Lee County Historical & Genealogical Society 1998

                  Jessee Cemetery Dryden near home of Charlie Morefield
                  Morefield, Alice 1881-29 mar 1961; w/o James Morefield
                  Morefield, James 1870-18 jul 1954; h/o alice Morefield p/o Millard &
                  Charlie

                  Jones Cemetery Dryden
                  Morefield, James E. @1852-27 dec 1918 age 66 yrs

                  Tombstone Inscriptions of Lee County, Virginia
                  Ada Grace Catron 1966

                  Dryden Cemetery Dryden, VA
                  David Morefield d. 19 apr 1912 age 65
                  Jonce H. Morefiel d. 3 jul 1920 age 75
                  Elizabeth Morefield d. 30 may 1925 age 80
                  Mary, w/o David Morefield d. 25 jan 1911 age 49 yrs.

                  Calvary Churchyard Turkey Cove
                  Maude Morefield d. 2 mar 1950 age 66
                  John Morefield 1869-1956
                  (see marriage records below)

                  Powell Valley Cemetery, Dryden, VA
                  Mary J. Morefield 1886-1957
                  John H. Morefield 1883-1964
                  (see marriage record below)

                  Lee County Virginia Marriage Register 2 1853-1884
                  Elizabeth M. Carpenter Southwest Virginia, N.D.

                  24-12 5 may 1869
                  Thomas Morfield 26 widow Grainger, TN
                  Charlotte Couk 25 widow not known
                  (I have had this record for some time, but this reminded me that this
                  Thomas is a bit of a mystery. The only other MFLD record in Grainger
                  Co, TN that I've ever seen was an A.I.S. reference to an Isaac
                  Morefield on the 1820 census, p. 100. However, I've searched Ancestry
                  for every variation of MFLD I can think of, plus I've searched under
                  "Isaac", and haven't found the image. If there was an Isaac in
                  Grainger, it's possible that he was related to the Knox & Roane, TN
                  Mourfields.)

                  Lee County Marriage Register 2 1885-1916 Elizabeth M. Carpenter (ND)

                  124-114 3 nov 1906
                  John H. Morefield 25 single Lee, VA s/o James & Polly
                  Mary Gipson 21 single Lee, VA d/o Isaac & Margaret Gipson
                  (see cemetery record above: Powell Valley Cemetery, Dryden, VA)

                  143-41 24 apr 1912
                  John Morefield 42 single Lee, VA Alexander Morefield
                  Maudie Miles 28 single Lee, VA Austin Miles
                  (see tombstone inscriptions above: Calvary Churchyard Turkey Cove)

                  Washington Co. VA Births & Deaths 1853-1892 (Incomplete)
                  Deborah Campbell Moore & Doris Galliher Stephens
                  Holston Territory Genealogical Society & Bristol Public Library
                  Mountain Press 1984

                  Moorefield, Martha E. White female b. alive P. 54 F Northfork Twp 13
                  may 1871
                  Parents: J.M. & Mary A. Moorefield

                  Benjamin Moorfield White male b. alive p. 30 F 6 dec 1856
                  Parents: Jas & Jane Moorfield

                  High on a Windy Hill Catherine S. McConnell 1968 (Washington Co, VA
                  Cemeteries)

                  Mountain View--outside center circle on south & east
                  Minnie B. Moorfield 1886-1959

                  Wright�s Chapel Cemetery
                  Stella Moorefield 31 mar 1879-2 apr 1931 Mother
                  Jessie G. Moorefield d. 3 mar 1959 age 78y 2 m 8d

                  Dunman Cemetery
                  Morefield, Stephen C. (no dates) CO B. 37 VA Inf CSA

                  Mock Cemetery
                  Glover J. Morefield 1900-1953

                  Mountain View north of center drive
                  Thomas Lee Morefield Tenn. Pvt. 105 Trench Mortar Btry. 16feb 1896-29
                  jul 1945

                  Walnut Grove Cemetery
                  Sarah E. w/o M.F. Morefield 1 sep 1850-18 feb 1920

                  High on a Windy Hill volume II Cemeteries of Washington County, Virginia
                  Historical Society of Washington County, Virginia 2000

                  Moorefield, Dan b. 1881 d. 1969 #245 s/o William & ?Creeger Moorefield
                  b. TN
                  Moorefield, Harry Lewis 1972 1985 #519 12 mar 1952- 7 jun 1985
                  Moorefield, Richard Anthony 1976 1976 #245 s/o Lawrence Edward & Connie
                  May Owens Morefield
                  Moorefield, Ira A. 1897-1986 #278 28 sep 1897 - 18 jan 1986
                  Morefield, Corena 1927 1999 #522
                  Morefield, Elmer 1915-1991 #245 s/o Dan & Nancy Dunn Morefield; never
                  married; b. Johnson co, TN
                  Morefield, Emma Cordie Proctor 1875-1979 #245 d/o Richard Proctor b. JCT
                  Morefield, Nancy Winters --1961 #245 d/o Sam Winters b. TN
                  Morefield, Robert Guy 1925-1981 #519 17 oct 1925-29 jan 1981

                  #245 Mock Cemetery N. Damascus on Rt. 91
                  #278 Mountain View Cemetery Bristol, VA
                  #519 Abingdon
                  Dan 18 dec 1881-25 sep 1969
                  Richard 13 nov 1976-13 nov 1976
                  Elmer 15 may 1915-25 may 1991
                  Emma Cordie 10 mar 1876-10 feb 1979
                  Nancy d. 6 aug 1961

                  The Militia of Washington County, VA Officers 1777-1835
                  Militia Men 1798-1835
                  Gerald H. Clark 1979

                  Washington County, VA Will Book 1 1777-1792
                  Shelby Ireson Edwards

                  Washington County, Virginia Minutes of the Board of Overseers of the
                  Poor 1826-1863
                  Jack Hockett Iberian Publishing conmpany Athens, GA 1998

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 22, 2003
                    Phyllis,

                    You're right. Mostly, I just typed what I saw without analyzing it.
                    On my next trip, I'll be sure to double-check the publication.

                    I wondered if this was James & Lettie's son James--the rr could have
                    been an 'm', and he's the only child whose name ends in 's'. Of
                    course, he would have been about 32 in 1887, which makes no sense.

                    The other thought is that it was James--Lettie's husband. We think he
                    was the son of John. Maybe Sarah (whoever she was) had his father
                    right and substituted his wife for his mother??? I haven't found them
                    in 1880, but maybe Lettie died between 1870 and 1880, and he was living
                    with a daughter in 1880, maybe entered in the census under the
                    daughter's married surname (I strongly suspect a case of that with one
                    of Ron's JCT Blevins ancestors). In 1870 his age is given as 55,
                    which would make him close to 70 in 1887. Did one of his sons marry a
                    Sarah? Or could Sarah have been a granddaughter?

                    Pat

                    On Thursday, May 22, 2003, at 03:17 PM, Phyllis Morefield wrote:

                    > > Farries(?) Morefield 70 yrs. fell dead 13 feb 1887; parents John &
                    > > Lettie Morefield; b. Jason (?) Co, TN  Sarah Morefield, informant
                    >
                    > Pat, is this a confusing entry or not?  First of all do we know of a
                    > John
                    > and Lettie in Lee Co?  The only other Morefield family I know of, in
                    > Lee
                    > County, VA, was Adam Morefield, s/o Gabriel; wife Pauline Wilson, and
                    > son
                    > Thomas J.(efferson).  If that should be James and Lettie, then Farries
                    > couldn't be 70 years old, maybe 7.  The only child of James and
                    > Letty/Lettie, known to have been born in Jonson (sic in census) Co, TN
                    > was
                    > Andrew Jackson.
                    > 'til later,
                    > Phyllis Morefield

                    <image.tiff>

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 22, 2003
                      On Thursday, May 22, 2003, at 08:11 PM, Phyllis Morefield wrote:

                      > Pat your explanation of how Ferries could have been James could work.

                      The transcriber had "Farries" with a question mark, so it was obviously
                      difficult to read. I wonder if Sally could be a mis-transcription of
                      Letty? Of course, that doesn't explain the fact that his mother was
                      listed as Letty.

                      > James and Letitia are in the 1880 Lee Census, Turkey Cove Dist, page
                      > 301B,
                      > ancestry.com image 2.  Grandson Charley, who is living in the home, is
                      > the
                      > son of Nancy, and was raised by James and Letty.  He gave James and
                      > Letty as
                      > his parents on his marriage license.
                      > James is listed as 55 [as he was in 1870] and Letitia is 56.  Both
                      > listed as
                      > 'born Carter Co., TN', which is what it would have been when they were
                      > born.
                      > Johnson was formed in 1836 partly from Carter.  James was born about
                      > 1820,
                      > if the original ages are more accurate, which would have made him 67 in
                      > 1887, close enough to 70.

                      I had the 1880 census record James & Lettie in my notebook, but hadn't
                      entered it into my software for some reason. As for Charley...

                      Lee County Marriage Register 2 1885-1916 Elizabeth M. Carpenter (ND)

                      # 78-84 14 apr 1892
                      Charles Morefield 20 single Lee, VA s/o __ & N. Bowman
                      Corisa Waddell 15 single Lee, VA d/o C. & E. Waddell

                      I also have the following marriage record from a Family Tree Maker CD:

                      Nancy Moorefield m. Robert Bowman 27 jan 1881 Lee, VA

                      If this Nancy the d/o James & Letty? Is Charles Nancy's son? The
                      Charley living with James & Lettie in 1880 was b. @1872, so it all
                      seems to fit.

                      Back in 1998 there was a query on the Morefield GenForum about a
                      Charles W. Morefield b. 27 jan 1872 in Lee, VA; he married Esther
                      Robbins in 1896. The poster goes on to write that he was raised by his
                      grandparents, James and Nancy Babe Morefield, and that his mother did
                      not marry his father, whose name was Bowing, Bowman, Boen or similar.

                      Is the Charles who married Corisa Waddell the same Charles who married
                      Esther Robbins? If so, then the information in the GenForum post is
                      incorrect about Nancy Babe being Charley's grandmother.

                      In 1880, James & Letty's daughter Nancy was living with them, as were
                      Henry J. (Henry Johnston Morefield), daughters Pollie and Catherine,
                      and another grandson, John H. age 1. Was John H. also Nancy's son?
                      When Nancy married Robert Bowman in 1881, did Charley stay with James &
                      Lettie? Wouldn't it be nice if the 1890 census were in existence?

                      Pat

                    • Phyllis Morefield
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 22, 2003

                        Message 11 of 11 , May 22, 2003
                          Pat and all,
                          I want to thank Pat for all the great work she is doing. Aren't we glad she
                          moved back to Knoxville and the McClung!! I think that's where we need to
                          go for an MRE?????

                          Looking back at my original post, I engaged my fingers before my brain! Not
                          an uncommon occurrence for me.!!
                          This person, couldn't have been Andrew Jackson Morefield. He was a POW and
                          died in 1864 .
                          Pat your explanation of how Ferries could have been James could work.

                          James and Letitia are in the 1880 Lee Census, Turkey Cove Dist, page 301B,
                          ancestry.com image 2. Grandson Charley, who is living in the home, is the
                          son of Nancy, and was raised by James and Letty. He gave James and Letty as
                          his parents on his marriage license.
                          James is listed as 55 [as he was in 1870] and Letitia is 56. Both listed as
                          'born Carter Co., TN', which is what it would have been when they were born.
                          Johnson was formed in 1836 partly from Carter. James was born about 1820,
                          if the original ages are more accurate, which would have made him 67 in
                          1887, close enough to 70.

                          You know, I don't find any Sarah in this line. That doesn't mean someone
                          couldn't have had a middle name of Sarah and only used their first name in
                          the census. If this is James, could this be his sister-in-law or unmarried
                          sister, Sarah Morefield?? That would really open doors<G> We need another
                          Sarah like we need another James or John. Do you know of any marriages of a
                          John Morefield to a Letty/Letitia?? Preferably in Surry County.
                          Another thought. Perhaps the person transcribing or the person taking the
                          original information mixed it up. Could Lettie have given the info and
                          Sarah was James's mother and John's wife??
                          Now this wouldn't make me happy because we just learned, from the Court
                          Order Minutes, that John's wife was Elizabeth. Of course, that could be a
                          second wife or.. his first wife was Sarah Elizabeth. ARGHHH!
                          'til later,
                          Phyllis Morefield