Mofields, Nelsons, Hendersons, Norwoods........

  • JUDY GORDON
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2003
      Hi Michelle and all,

      Thought you may be interested in this tidbit of information. Sometime ago I copied some pages from a couple of books that were published by The Calloway County Genealogical Society called, BIBLE RECORDS OF CALLOWAY COUNTY & ADJOINING COUNTIES, Part 1 & Part 2. Yesterday I decided to put that information in my Family Tree Maker. Included in these books were Bible records from the families of:
      a.. Lewis Henderson whose son James L. married Green's daughter Mary Ann Mofield
      b.. Mofield Family Record which includes information on Green, Alfred and some of Alfred's children
      c.. The Nelson Family who are Green's wife, Elizabeth's, family
      d.. Norwood Records--Children of David Thomas Norwood and Mildred Bell
      The M'fields, Nelsons, Hendersons and Norwoods are very much intertwined, and a little confusing to try to sort out.......but I'm working on it and will post each family's record as soon as I can.

      The piece of information that you will be interested in, Michelle, is a little something that I took from the Nelson Family Record, which says:
      a.. Children of Belle Nelson and William Mofield are Ola Mofield and Esta Mofield
      I'm sorry to say, however, that there are no dates included. Elsewhere, in the record, it does say that Victoria "Belle" Nelson married William Mofield. I have gleaned from some other records that I have that
      a.. William's middle name is Lee
      b.. Belle's middle name is Isabell
      c.. William was born January, 1876 & died ca 1915
      d.. His parents were, Robert Redden Mofield & Nancy Louisa Norwood
      e.. Robert Redden's parents were Alfred Mofield & Elizabeth Ann Redden
      f.. Alfred's parents were, of course, Green Mofield & Elizabeth Nelson
      g.. Nancy Louisa's parents were David Thomas Norwood & Mildred Bell
      h.. Belle was born June, 1877 & died ca 1912
      i.. Her parents were Robert Wesley Nelson & Victoria Catherine "Katie" Henderson
      j.. Robert Wesley's father was Allen Nelson (mother not known at this time)
      k.. Victoria Catherine "Katie"'s parents are Lewis Henderson & Mahala Peter
      Additional info. that I have from a Nelson/Mofield researcher who lives in Benton, Marshall County, KY:
      a.. 1900 Marshall Co. Census shows "Willie", 24 & "Belle", 23
      b.. Robert Wesley Nelson served in the Civil War
      c.. Willie L Mofield, of age, and Victoria I Nelson, of age, were married 13 July 1899 (#4872), by M.G. Nelson, JP, at M.G. Nelson's in Marshall County, KY, groom a farmer, both born in Marshall County, KY.
      d.. Robert Wesley Nelson, son of Allen Nelson born 1804/VA
      e.. Robert Wesley Nelson born about 1842
      f.. Victoria Catherine Henderson born about 1852
      g.. Lola Mofield, daughter of Willie & Belle is listed as being born 24 July 1904
      h.. Esta Mofield doesn't have a birthdate listed
      That's about all I have time for right now. Will post more later. Hope this helps!

      Judy Morefield Gordon

    • miche371
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2003
        Judy,
        Thank you so much. I have thought before that William L. and Victoria were possible the parents of Esta but I couldn't find them in the 1910 census. This would make the William "Ray" Mofield that wrote the letter to Bob, and my grandfather cousins. This is what we were told. Thank you so much. If this is the same Esta she was born in 1904 and died in Chicago, Cook Co. Illinois in 1952. You don't know how much this helps me, Thank you, Thank you, Michelle.

      • Judy Morefield Gordon <rgordon@apex.net>
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 1, 2003
          You are so very welcome, Michelle...glad I was able to help
          someone!!

          About the 1904 birthdate......maybe "they" listed it for the wrong
          daughter OR maybe Ola & Esta are the same person. I'll do some
          inquiring and see what I can find out. I'm not sure, yet, what kind
          of "removed" cousins we are, but your ancestor and mine are one in
          the same....Green Mofield.......you through his son Alfred and me
          through his son Martin.

          Judy

          --- In MOREFIELDHOMEPLACE@yahoogroups.com, "miche371" <miche371@a...>

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 2, 2003
            Hi Judy,
            I was wondering: Do you have that Robert Redden Mofield and Nancy Norwood had a daughter Ola Pearl Mofield that would have been born 8-23-1901. She married William Leymon Futrell on 6-6-1919 in Paris, Tn.? I'm wondering because I thought that she was the daughter of Robert and Nancy because of the 1910 census information states that she is their daughter. After see the info that you posted, I'm wondering if she is the Ola you have that is the daughter of William Lee and Victoria and the census should say granddaughter.
            Michelle
            You are so very welcome, Michelle...glad I was able to help
            someone!!

            About the 1904 birthdate......maybe "they" listed it for the wrong
            daughter OR maybe Ola & Esta are the same person. I'll do some
            inquiring and see what I can find out. I'm not sure, yet, what kind
            of "removed" cousins we are, but your ancestor and mine are one in
            the same....Green Mofield.......you through his son Alfred and me
            through his son Martin.

            Judy

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            MOREFIELD RESEARCH EXCHANGE (MRE) 2003 will again be held in Virginia. More information will be posted as it becomes avaliable.

          • JUDY GORDON
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 2, 2003
              Michelle,

              I think we are talking about two different Olas here. I have Robert Redden Mofield & Nancy Louisa Norwood with (L)ola Pearl Mofield born, Feb 1894. According to Ray Mofield's letter, she married a LEE and lived in Illinois. She was about 80 years old and still had the LEE name when Ray wrote that letter in about 1972-73.

              William Lee "Willie" Mofield & Victoria Isabelle "Belle" Nelson I had listed with a (L)ola Mofield, who DIED 24 July 1904, instead of being BORN in 1904. I really goofed on that one!! Sorry. (I didn't have Esta listed until I found her in the "BIBLE RECORDS".)..............................................................................................................................................................................................................

              Anyway......I don't think the Ola's are the same person. However, I've been wrong before. <G>

              There was an Ola Pearl Mofield Futrell, who died 13 October 1935 (no stone), buried in the Barnett Cemetery in Calloway County (KY).........which brings us to yet another Ola Mofield. She couldn't be either one of the other two. One died in 1904 and the other was alive in the 1970s when Ray wrote his letter. Wonder who her parents were????????

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 2, 2003
                Just to add a little confusion to the problem here is the 1910 census information that I have:

                ----- Original Message ----1910 Census information

                Robert R Mafield
                Enumeration District: 0136
                Color: W
                Age: 57
                Birth Place: Kentucky
                Visit: 0085
                County: Marshall
                Relation: Husband
                Relatives: Wife Luezer 54, Tennessee
                Son Kelzie E 19, Kentucky
                Daughter Pearl L 15, Kentucky
                Daughter Ola P 09, Kentucky
                Son Willie E 05, Kentucky

                -

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 2, 2003
                  I'm in the process of inputting the 1880 census data into my database
                  and came across the following "stray" MFLDs:

                  Campbell Morefield age 18 b. VA father & mother b. VA living with
                  Andrew Kentner family, Carter, KY Precinct 4 p. 506B listed as Other,
                  day laborer

                  Harvey Morefield age 14 b. VA father b. VA mother b. KY living with
                  Joseph Martin & wife Elizabeth Martin, Carter, KY Precinctt 4 p. 506B.
                  Harvey is listed as BroL, which means that Elizabeth Martin must have
                  been a MFLD. She is listed as age 16, b. VA, father b. VA, mother b. KY

                  Looks like Campbell, Harvey & Elizabeth were siblings.

                  Thos. Moorefield age 23 b. VA, father & mother b. VA. List as Other
                  and Farmer, living with Thomas Green family Caskys, Christian, KY 259C.
                  There were 3 other "Others" living in the household, all listed as
                  servants.

                  Alex Morefield, age 16 b. KY and James Morefield age 14 b. KY, both
                  parents b. VA, living with Reuben and Patsey Belema. Alex and James
                  are listed as SSon, which would mean that Patsy was the widow of a
                  MFLD. Jetts Creek or Crawford, Breathitt, KY p. 581D.

                  Can anyone connect these MFLDs to known families?

                  Pat
                • miche371
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 2, 2003
                    Sorry, I hit the send button without explaining what I think about this information.
                    I believe that the Ola P age 9 in this census is really the Ola Pearl that married a Furtell. I also believe that this might have been a granddaughter instead of a daughter. I also believe that the Willie E. age 5 listed is Esta Mofield. I only believe this because my grandmother told me that some people use to call Esta, "Willie". This is why I thought that maybe the Ola who was William L.'s daughter was Ola Pearl from this list. My grandfather told my grandmother that when he was younger he remembers visiting his mother's sister in Central Illinois, in other words Esta's sister. I hope I'm not making this more diffuclt. Do you know if Esta and Ola were born in Marshall County? I'm on the hunt to find William L. in the 1910 census and I'll let you know if I find him.
                    Michelle

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 3, 2003
                      Hi all,
                      This is the information that I have collected on the Robert Redden and Nancy
                      Mofield Line. I am still working on it so if you see anything that is
                      incorrect let me know. I am the daughter of Leonore Loretta Mathis and Edwin
                      Joseph Sparenberg. Thanks again Judy and everyone else that help. Also,
                      Judy, do you know if the Bible book you spoke of is available for purchase
                      any where?
                      Thanks,
                      Michelle

                      Descendants of Robert Redden Mofield

                      Generation No. 1
                      1. ROBERT REDEN3 MOFIELD (ALFRED2 MOREFIELD, GREEN1)1,2,3 was born March
                      1852 in Ky4,5,6, and died 1917 in Marshall County, Ky7,8,9. He married NANCY
                      LOUISA NORWOOD10,11,12 January 13, 1874 in Marshall Cnty, Ky13,14, daughter
                      of DAVID NORWOOD and MILDRED BELL. She was born February 1854 in Ky15,16,17,
                      and died Abt. 1939 in Ky18,19,20.
                      Notes for ROBERT REDEN MOFIELD:
                      Thanks to everyone at the Morefield Homeplace.
                      Children of ROBERT MOFIELD and NANCY NORWOOD are:
                      2. i. ETTA4 MOFIELD, b. May 1881, Marshall County, Ky; d. Bef. 1920,
                      Marshall County, Ky.
                      3. ii. WILLIAM LEE MOFIELD, b. January 1876, Marshall County, Ky; d. Abt.
                      1915.
                      4. iii. LULA PEARL MOFIELD, b. February 1893, Marshall County, Ky.
                      5. iv. KELZIE ELVIN MOFIELD, b. March 30, 1891, Marshall County, Ky; d.
                      October 1970, Ky.

                      Generation No. 2
                      2. ETTA4 MOFIELD (ROBERT REDEN3, ALFRED2 MOREFIELD, GREEN1)21,22,23 was born
                      May 1881 in Marshall County, Ky23, and died Bef. 1920 in Marshall County,
                      Ky23. She married OSCAR PEARL TURNER24,25,26 November 18, 1900 in Marshall
                      County, Ky26. He was born October 07, 187926, and died WFT Est. 1898-197026.
                      Notes for ETTA MOFIELD:
                      Her original name was Lau Jetter and it was changed to Etta Mofield
                      Children of ETTA MOFIELD and OSCAR TURNER are:
                      i. LEXIE5 TURNER.
                      ii. ELSIA TURNER.
                      iii. ELZIE TURNER.

                      3. WILLIAM LEE4 MOFIELD (ROBERT REDEN3, ALFRED2 MOREFIELD, GREEN1) was born
                      January 1876 in Marshall County, Ky, and died Abt. 1915. He married VICTORIA
                      ISABELL NELSON July 13, 1899 in Marshall County, Ky, daughter of ROBERT
                      NELSON and VICTORIA HENDERSON. She was born June 1877 in Marshall County,
                      Ky, and died Abt. 1912.
                      Marriage Notes for WILLIAM MOFIELD and VICTORIA NELSON:
                      Willie L. Mofield, of age, and Victoria I. Nelson, of age, were married July
                      13, 1899 (#4872), by G.M. Nelson, JP, at M. G. Nelson's in Marshall County,
                      Ky, groom a farmer, both born in Marshall County, Ky. Source: Judy Morefield
                      Gordon. from Bible Records of Calloway County & Adjoining Counties, Part 1
                      and 2.
                      Children of WILLIAM MOFIELD and VICTORIA NELSON are:
                      6. i. ESTA5 MOFIELD, b. 1904, Ky; d. 1952, Cook County, Illlinois.
                      7. ii. OLA PEARL MOFIELD, b. August 23, 1901, Marshall County, Ky; d. 1935,
                      Benton Ky. Hospital.

                      4. LULA PEARL4 MOFIELD (ROBERT REDEN3, ALFRED2 MOREFIELD, GREEN1) was born
                      February 1893 in Marshall County, Ky. She married EDGAR LEE Bet. 1910 -
                      1917. He was born Abt. 1893 in Ky.
                      Child of LULA MOFIELD and EDGAR LEE is:
                      i. NELDA5 LEE, b. Abt. 1917.

                      5. KELZIE ELVIN4 MOFIELD (ROBERT REDEN3, ALFRED2 MOREFIELD, GREEN1) was born
                      March 30, 1891 in Marshall County, Ky, and died October 1970 in Ky. He
                      married ZELA M..
                      Child of KELZIE MOFIELD and ZELA M. is:
                      8. i. WILLIAM RAY5 MOFIELD, b. July 03, 1921, Ky; d. March 23, 1995, Ky.

                      Generation No. 3
                      6. ESTA5 MOFIELD (WILLIAM LEE4, ROBERT REDEN3, ALFRED2 MOREFIELD, GREEN1)
                      was born 1904 in Ky, and died 1952 in Cook County, Illlinois. She married
                      REBON MATHIS 1920 in Marshall County, Ky, son of MARION MATHIS and GEORGEANN
                      SHOTWELL. He was born August 14, 1900 in Marshall County, Ky.
                      More About ESTA MOFIELD:
                      Burial: Beverly Cem., Cook County, Illinois
                      Children of ESTA MOFIELD and REBON MATHIS are:
                      9. i. EURIE (EURA) REBON6 MATHIS, b. May 31, 1923, Chicago, Illinois; d.
                      1996, Calumet Park, Illinois.
                      ii. WILLIAM EVERT MATHIS, b. January 1921.

                      7. OLA PEARL5 MOFIELD (WILLIAM LEE4, ROBERT REDEN3, ALFRED2 MOREFIELD,
                      GREEN1) was born August 23, 1901 in Marshall County, Ky, and died 1935 in
                      Benton Ky. Hospital. She married WILLIAM LEYMON FUTRELL June 06, 1919 in
                      Paris, Tennesse. He was born December 09, 1897.
                      Notes for OLA PEARL MOFIELD:
                      William and Ola were living in Chicago, Cook County, Illinois in 1920 E.D.
                      184 Im. 609, Roll: J625-347 Page 8b. see picture in scrapbook.

                      More About OLA PEARL MOFIELD:
                      Burial: Bernett Cemetary, Hardin County, Ky.
                      Children of OLA MOFIELD and WILLIAM FUTRELL are:
                      i. WILLIAM HENRY6 FUTRELL.
                      ii. BOYD FUTRELL.
                      iii. CHESTER JAMES FUTRELL.
                      iv. VICTORIA FUTRELL.
                      v. AMANDA FUTRELL.
                      vi. ALICE FUTRELL.
                      vii. THOMAS FUTRELL.
                      10. viii. CARL RAY FUTRELL.

                      8. WILLIAM RAY5 MOFIELD (KELZIE ELVIN4, ROBERT REDEN3, ALFRED2 MOREFIELD,
                      GREEN1) was born July 03, 1921 in Ky, and died March 23, 1995 in Ky.
                      Child of WILLIAM RAY MOFIELD is:
                      i. RUTH ANN6 MOFIELD.

                      Generation No. 4
                      9. EURIE (EURA) REBON6 MATHIS (ESTA5 MOFIELD, WILLIAM LEE4, ROBERT REDEN3,
                      ALFRED2 MOREFIELD, GREEN1) was born May 31, 1923 in Chicago, Illinois, and
                      died 1996 in Calumet Park, Illinois. He married (1) GERALDINE BURHANS,
                      daughter of JOHN BURHANS and MAY TOBIN. He married (2) MRYTLE PETERSON.
                      Notes for EURIE (EURA) REBON MATHIS:
                      Named after Eura Alba Mathis, Robert Kelley's son

                      More About EURIE (EURA) REBON MATHIS:
                      Burial: Not buried
                      Children of EURIE MATHIS and GERALDINE BURHANS are:
                      i. LENORE LORETTA7 MATHIS27,28, b. 1948, Chicago, Illinois29,30; m. EDWIN
                      JOSEPH SPARENBERG31,32; b. 1946, Chicago, Illinois33,34.
                      ii. LAURA LEE MATHIS.
                      iii. GERALD (JERRY) MATHIS.
                      Children of EURIE MATHIS and MRYTLE PETERSON are:
                      iv. DIRK7 MATHIS.
                      v. BRIAN MATHIS.

                      10. CARL RAY6 FUTRELL (OLA PEARL5 MOFIELD, WILLIAM LEE4, ROBERT REDEN3,
                      ALFRED2 MOREFIELD, GREEN1)
                      Child of CARL RAY FUTRELL is:
                      i. RICKY7 FUTRELL.
                    • Patricia Moorefield Seaver <pseaver@char
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 4, 2003
                        miche371@a...> wrote:
                        > Hi all,
                        > This is the information that I have collected on the Robert Redden and
                        Nancy

                        Michelle,

                        Two questions:

                        1. You show Nancy Louisa Norwood as born KY, but the 1880 and 1910
                        censuses show her PoB as TN.

                        2. You mentioned in message #1496 that you thought the Willie E. living with
                        John and "Luezer" in 1910 was Esta, d/o John & Louisa's son William L.
                        However, you show Willie E. as "son" in the 1910 census--I understand that
                        he and Ola could have been grandchildren, but what about the gender
                        discrepancy? (That could be an error, too. We moved from NY to TN in Feb.
                        2002, got our TN drivers' licences soon thereafter. On a trip to CA in June, my
                        husband had to show his driver's license in a hotel, and the clerk noticed that
                        he was listed as "F"=female--bald head and all.)

                        Pat
                      • miche371
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 4, 2003
                          Pat,
                          Thank you for the correction on Nancy's birthplace. For the 1910 census records: I believe the Willie E. listed as a son should be a female only because I have found my Gr-grandfather Rebon, listed as Reba, female on the same 1910 Marshall Co. census. The age match and I know from asking everyone I know that would have information if there was a Reba at all and everyone replied no. I don't trust the 1910 Marshall County, Ky. records much for that exact reason. I'm trying to find Ola and Esta's mother in 1910. I'm guessing that she maybe with a brother. I have found the 1880 census and it looks like Victoria "Belle" might have a twin brother. Also, I don't know if I keep repeating myself about this but: I was told that people used to call Esta, "Willie". Anyway that is why I believe that about the information, If you think that I'm way off, please let me know.

                          Michelle

                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 4, 2003
                            Michelle,

                            I have a few tidbits of info. that you may (or may not) want to add to your collection.

                            Robert Redden Mofield was born in MARSHALL COUNTY, KY on the "13th" March 1852

                            David Norwood's middle name was THOMAS (Nancy Louisa's father)

                            I have Lou Jetta's birthdate as 22 June 1882 and death date as 13 Jan 1919.....not saying I'm right & you're wrong.....I got it from someone elses research and haven't checked it out for myself. Is your date for her documented?

                            I have Victoria Isabelle Nelson's father as Robert WESTLEY/WESLEY Nelson, born 1842 and Victoria Henderson born 1852.

                            William Ray Mofield had a sister, ELLA MAE MOFIELD, born April 1920.

                            Kelzie Elvin Mofield's wife's middle name was MAE, and they were married 30 March 1919

                            Other than that, I have the same information as you.

                            You had asked about the BIBLE book........I don't know if they are still available for purchase, but I will try to find out and let you know.

                            Later..
                            Judy

                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 4, 2003
                              Hi Judy,
                              I don't have documentation yet. I downloaded information that someone else posted in their family tree about Lou Jetta. They were from the Turner line. I am going to change it to your info. I think that they may have guess at it from the info from census records. Thanks for your input. I really appriectiate it.