Mercury in High Fructose Corn Syrup

  • Christina Hoadley
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2009
      Hi,

      See attached... seems bizarre to me.  Be sure to check out the list of foods that were tested.  You'll be shocked!

      Here's part of the article:

      As if we needed another reason to avoid high fructose corn syrup. (You’ll want to put down that soda now.)

      Last week two studies were released showing that mercury was found in some high fructose corn syrup (HFCS).

      One study tested 55 brand-name foods (containing HFCS) from grocery store shelves in Fall 2008, and found mercury in nearly one-third of those products. Do you have any of these at home?

      The Mercury Risk

      Mercury is a toxin to the brain. There is no “safe amount” to ingest. It is especially dangerous for children and unborn babies whose brains are developing.

      Even if the doses are small, it’s a concern because Americans consume so much HFCS on a regular basis: 12 teaspoons per day on aver ...

    • pammyroo@nc.rr.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3, 2009
        Just an FYI
        Similar articles were published on Jan. 28 by the Washington Post and US News & World Report.
        The two studies were co-autored by the same person, leading to questionable results. Early indications are the HFCS is digested differently than regular sugars, leading to obesity, and should probably be avoided to start with; I question the validity of studies that are lead by the same person.
        My 2 cents.