My Mina Project: The Silent Tsunami

  • Cindilee Thorne
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2008
      Hello all friends and family,

      Last year our church did something amazing, they gave us money ( called Mina Money based on a story Jesus told).  They asked us to take the money and multiply it for good for those in need.  Needs that we might know about that the church was unaware of.  Some people used their money to help a single parent provide christmas for their kids, others used their money to bake cookies and sell them to get money for the food pantry, others raised money for a homeless shelter, or for a co-workers suffering through cancer to get a spa day.  I know a whole group that raised $1000's of dollars for wells in Africa.  My husband Greg was given a $100 and he multiplied his to $400 and gave it to the Ronald McDonald house in Durham where we had friends staying for free as they cared for their baby born premature at 24 weeks old.  they stayed their for over 6 months and were supported while their baby was in ICU.  I was given $20 ( it was all in random envelopes) and now I have my Mina project.  I thank you in advance for listening, please do not feel pressured at all.  I wanted to offer you this opportunity and invite you to join me, as well as make you all aware of this great need happening all around us.   Recently I have been deeply moved by the global food crisis affecting the world right now. hopefully you will be too!!
      What you need to do....

      1) read the below
      2) if you feel led and want to help then donate $20 or more at the link below
      3) Let me know you donated, so I can see how God is working
      4) Pray for all those who are hungry

      Thank you for partnering with me and with God in caring for the poor.
      Help change your world,
      Cindilee Thorne

      About the global food crisis

      What is the global food crisis?

      The World Food Programme calls the global food crisis a phenomenon, a "silent tsunami," that is affecting families in every nation on every continent. Food prices for popular menu items like rice, wheat and beans have doubled in the last year. Though increases in food prices have hit all budgets, it's the poor who bear the brunt of price inflation. The higher prices are forcing people who survive on just $1 a day to spend upwards of 80 percent of their budgets just on food.  As a result, many people, including millions of children, are going hungry. The longer food prices rise, the more people will be plunged into hunger and poverty.

      Why is the global food crisis happening?

      Food shortages have affected developing countries for generations. It's a cyclical problem. But this global food crisis is more rapid, urgent and devastating. Since 2005, food prices have risen a whopping 80 percent. Why?

      • rising fuel costs
      • rising food demand from populous nations like India and China
      • natural disasters destroying crop yields all over the world, including the United States
      • growth of biofuels

      How has the global food crisis affected Compassion child sponsored families?

      The global food crisis is forcing poor families to spend more of their household budgets on food, leaving little for anything else. In Bangladesh more than 90 percent of the 12,179 children we serve in 82 Compassion-assisted centers are affected. Many children are eating only at the church-based center. Compassion Haiti estimates it will need at least $2 million and up to $6 million to feed the 60,000 registered children and their families over the next few months.

      What can I do to help fight the global food crisis?

      Give to Compassion's Global Food Crisis Fund. Your gift will help provide:

      • food vouchers to children and families needing immediate relief.
      • seeds and agricultural tools so that families can grow their own food as well as earn extra income.
      • supplemental nutrition services offered at Compassion-assisted centers around the world.

      Click here to learn more about the Global Food Crisis, otherwise known as the "Silent Tsunami"

      Click here to donate your $20

      https://www.compassion.com/contribution/giving/global-food-crisis.htm