WORRY- To look foward to?

  • Christina Hoadley
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2008

      WORRY

      Is there a magic cutoff period when
      Offspring become accountable for their own
      Actions?  Is there a wonderful moment when
      Parents can become detached spectators in
      The lives of their children and shrug, "It's
      Their life," and feel nothing?

      When I was in my twenties , I stood in a hospital
      Corridor waiting for doctors to put a few
      Stitches in my daughter's head.  I asked, "When do
      You stop worrying?"  The nurse said,
      "When they get out of the accident stage."  My
      Dad just smiled faintly and said nothing.

      When I was in my thirties, I sat on a little
      Chair in a classroom and heard how one of my
      Children talked incessantly, disrupted the class,
      And was headed for a career making
      License plates.  As if to read my mind, a teacher
      Said, "Don't worry, they all go through
      This stage and then you can sit back, relax and
      Enjoy them."  My dad just smiled
      Faintly and said nothing.

      When I was in my forties, I spent a lifetime
      Waiting for the phone to ring, the cars to come
      Home, the front door to open.  A friend said,
      "They're trying to find themselves.  Don't worry,
      In a few years, you can stop worrying.  They'll be
      Adults."  My da d just smiled faintly
      And said nothing.

      By the time I was 50, I was sick & tired of being
      Vulnerable.  I was still worrying over my
      Children, but there was a new wrinkle.  There
      Was nothing I could do about it.  My
      Dad just smiled faintly and said nothing.  I
      Continued to anguish over their failures, be
      Tormented by their frustrations and absorbed in
      Their disappointments.

      My friends said that when my kids got married I
      Could stop worrying and lead my own
      Life.  I wanted to believe that, but I was
      Haunted by my dad's warm smile and his
      Occasional, "You look pale.  Are you all right?
      Call me the minute you get home.  Are
      You depressed about something?"

      Can it be that parents are sentenced to a
      Lifetime of worry?  Is concern for one another
      Handed down like a torch to blaze the trail of
      Human frailties and the fears of the
      Unknown?  Is concern a curse or is it a virtue
      That elevates us to the highest form of life?

      One of my children became quite irritable
      Recently, saying to me, "Where were you?  I've been
      Calling for 3 days, and no one answered I was worried."
      I smiled a warm smile.
      The torch has been passed.

      PASS IT ON TO OTHER WONDERFUL PARENTS
      (And also to your children.  That's the fun part)