1589Missouri JCI Senate - MEMORIAL DAY MESSAGE from President Michele Burnett Emmerich #60635

  • Ken Risley
    May 26, 2013

      Fellow Missouri Senators,

      Today, Monday, May 27, is “Memorial Day”, originally called “Decoration Day”.  It is a National Holiday in the USA intended as a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation's service.  Memorial Day was officially proclaimed on May 5, 1868 by General John Logan, National Commander of the Grand Army of the Republic,  in his General Order No. 11, and was first observed on May 30 1868, when flowers were placed on the graves of Union and Confederate soldiers at Arlington National Cemetery.

      Please remember to set aside some time today, on Memorial Day, to remember and pray for those who have freely taken time from their lives to serve in foreign lands to protect and preserve our way of life.  Especially remember and try to visit the graves of those that have gone before us, many who have given everything, their very life itself, In service to us.  In this way, and by cherishing and appreciating our sacred freedoms and liberties that we enjoy every day here in the United States of America, the “Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave”, can we can begin to attempt to honor and repay them for their sacrifices.

      On this very special day, we should also remember our parents, ancestors and others that have gone before us, as well as to honor those that we are blessed to still have with us today.

      Enjoy your Memorial Day Holiday Weekend,

      Michele Burnett Emmerich #60635

      President

      Missouri JCI Senate

      Sent by: