Re: [MOB-Photo_Salon] Re:recommended camera bag?

  • Cheri Seli
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 13, 2009
      For an economical alternative, Adorama makes a 2 bags (their brand), called the "Slinger" and "Slinger Pro." I bought a Slinger when I began working at our local newspaper and LOVED it. It can be worn over the shoulder or on your belt, plus, when I slung it around, it made a a fantastic impromptu "desk" to take my notes on whatever story I was shooting. I could rest my notepad on top, and it supplied enough stability for me to jot the info down; an especially good feature when running around shooting sports "on the fly"! I also found it just about perfect for traveling and other photo pursuits (I also do senior portraits, engagement photos, some nature and landscape photography as well as the "news."

      Then, when all my camera gear was stolen last year, I decided to upgrade to the Slinger Pro. I like it OK, but its larger size tempts me to put too much in it, then I have trouble balancing everything, the weight becomes an issue, and get into trouble with my bad back  ;-(  But I am only 5' 1", and weigh in at around 100 lbs., so a guy or "average-sized" gal would likely not face the same issues.

      If memory serves, the "Slinger" is $50, the "Slinger Pro" $55 (www.adorama.com). There are several reasonably priced components to the Slinger system: memory card cases, cell phone pouch, filter pouch, all designed to fit or attach to the main case.

      Hope this is helpful; Although I haven't done a lot of shopping around with other brands, this one met all my needs and was attractive and economical.

      Cheri
      Plains

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 14, 2009
        --- In MOB-Photo_Salon@yahoogroups.com, "Christine Paige"
        <chrispaige@...> wrote:

        > Hi Photo Mobsters,
        > I hope this is appropriate to ask here. I'm searching out a new
        camera
        > bag/backpack for my digital SLR and lenses (it's a small collection
        of
        > gear.) Does anyone have a reasonably priced recommendation? I need
        > something with easy access, that's practical to use hiking and on
        > river trips. Any advice?
        > Thanks!!
        > --Chris

        If you are near Bozeman - check out the camera store there. I have
        numerous lens cases, my waist pack and other odds and ends that I have
        picked up used in great condition. There is great variety, fair
        prices and knowledgeable help.
        Beth Hill
        Great Falls
      • Christine Paige
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 14, 2009
          Thanks everyone for your tips! I figured this group would have a
          wealth of experience. I will definitely investigate your suggestions.

          At issue is an upcoming Grand Canyon river trip: very dry is
          important, but I'll want some kind of daypack for multiple hikes. I
          like the dry bag/backpack combo idea - actually was thinking of
          placing the pack inside a dry bag. Don't care for my old pelican case,
          but I may end up using it.

          Thanks again!