Re: [MOB-Montana] Lesser Black-backed Gull

  • Chuck Carlson
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 5, 2006
      Patrick

      I've already written the report. It will be submitted to the Committee. Jeff has sent the photo to several people and their conclusion was that it was a Lesser Black-backed Gull. I don't mind further opinions. The species occurs annually in North Dakota now. I've been waiting for one to show up here. I saw it only the once.

      Chuck

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 11, 2008
        Mobsters
        I guess it is the season for gulls finally here at Ft. Peck. We've had a few Thayer's, but that's about it until today. I was checking out 4 or 5 gulls on the concrete pillars just below the powerplant this morning, not expecting anything out of the ordinary, when I noticed this very dark-backed immature gull. After a lot of study and note taking I was able to get a few photos of the bird. I have posted two in my album. In the photo with two gulls the bird on the left is a definite Herring Gull. I am convinced that it is a Lesser Black-backed Gull, but I have been wrong before, and these immatures are not the easiest birds to put a definite ID on.

        I have been envious of Bob's jaeger and other gulls, and Dan's assortment, but I think this at least puts me even.

        I am waiting for comments from anyone on my ID. And I thank you for any you may have.

        Chuck Carlson
        Ft. Peck  MT
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 12, 2008
          Chuck et al:

          Well, it was only a matter of time, wasn't it? I would say the
          combination of mantle color, very long (and black) primary
          projection, bill and body size in comparison to the Herring all point
          rather squarely to LBBG, although I must admit to having very little
          first-hand experience with the species!

          I guess Josh and I will have to start working harder for the state's
          first Slaty-backed....

          Great find.

          --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Carlson" <chuckcmt@...>
          wrote:

          > Mobsters
          > I guess it is the season for gulls finally here at Ft. Peck. We've
          had a few Thayer's, but that's about it until today. I was checking
          out 4 or 5 gulls on the concrete pillars just below the powerplant
          this morning, not expecting anything out of the ordinary, when I
          noticed this very dark-backed immature gull. After a lot of study and
          note taking I was able to get a few photos of the bird. I have posted
          two in my album. In the photo with two gulls the bird on the left is
          a definite Herring Gull. I am convinced that it is a Lesser Black-
          backed Gull, but I have been wrong before, and these immatures are
          not the easiest birds to put a definite ID on.

          > I have been envious of Bob's jaeger and other gulls, and Dan's
          assortment, but I think this at least puts me even.

          > I am waiting for comments from anyone on my ID. And I thank you for
          any you may have.

          > Chuck Carlson
          > chuckcmt@...
          > Ft. Peck MT

        • Patrick A. Toomey Jr.
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 12, 2008
            Guys,
            I've only seen the LBBG a couple of times so I pulled out Olsen/Larsson's "Gulls of
            North America, Europe and Asia." 2004 edition to re-acquaint me with the bird. On page
            382 (photos 534 and 535) are two pretty compelling photos to corroborate the ID as an
            early first winter bird. The coloring on the breast on Chuck's bird has far less
            sooty/grayish coloring , but aside from that the ID looks good. Don't let a rookie gull
            person like me affect any more professional decisions though. Will this photo go out to
            one of the national gull experts for a look?

            Patrick

            --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Casey" <caseys4@...> wrote:

            > Chuck et al:
            >
            > Well, it was only a matter of time, wasn't it? I would say the
            > combination of mantle color, very long (and black) primary
            > projection, bill and body size in comparison to the Herring all point
            > rather squarely to LBBG, although I must admit to having very little
            > first-hand experience with the species!
            >
            > I guess Josh and I will have to start working harder for the state's
            > first Slaty-backed....
            >
            > Great find.
            > Dan Casey
            > Somers
            >

            > --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Carlson" <chuckcmt@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Mobsters
            > > I guess it is the season for gulls finally here at Ft. Peck. We've
            > had a few Thayer's, but that's about it until today. I was checking
            > out 4 or 5 gulls on the concrete pillars just below the powerplant
            > this morning, not expecting anything out of the ordinary, when I
            > noticed this very dark-backed immature gull. After a lot of study and
            > note taking I was able to get a few photos of the bird. I have posted
            > two in my album. In the photo with two gulls the bird on the left is
            > a definite Herring Gull. I am convinced that it is a Lesser Black-
            > backed Gull, but I have been wrong before, and these immatures are
            > not the easiest birds to put a definite ID on.
            > >
            > > I have been envious of Bob's jaeger and other gulls, and Dan's
            > assortment, but I think this at least puts me even.
            > >
            > > I am waiting for comments from anyone on my ID. And I thank you for
            > any you may have.
            > >
            > > Chuck Carlson
            > > chuckcmt@
            > > Ft. Peck MT

          • Joshua Covill
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 12, 2008
              WOW!!!   That is exciting!!   I love gulls!  I am going to design a shirt that has big block letters saying "LARID LOVER" and a various assortment of Gulls sitting on it.  But that is beside the point

              The bird in question looks like an "exact match" to the second-cycle birds my Gulls of the Americas , by Steve N. G. Howell, and Jon Dunn. (( I birded with Steve at the Young Birder's Conference)) .   I mean WOW!  How much better can the bird look?  The only way it can be better is if it had its name on it.  It looks perfect.  White head and underparts, yellow-pink legs, and a dark bill with a pale tip. (diffuse pale pink base??)    I say second-cycle, because even a late First-cycle has much darker underparts, and a blotchy head.  And the scapulars, and the wing coverts would be showing more white.

              One vote for LBBG.

              Good Luck Birding
              Josh (loves Gulls)

              I've only seen the LBBG a couple of times so I pulled out Olsen/Larsson' s "Gulls of
              North America, Europe and Asia." 2004 edition to re-acquaint me with the bird. On page
              382 (photos 534 and 535) are two pretty compelling photos to corroborate the ID as an
              early first winter bird. The coloring on the breast on Chuck's bird has far less
              sooty/grayish coloring , but aside from that the ID looks good. Don't let a rookie gull
              person like me affect any more professional decisions though. Will this photo go out to
              one of the national gull experts for a look?

              Patrick

              --- In MOB-Montana@ yahoogroups. com, "Dan Casey" <caseys4@... > wrote:

              > Chuck et al:
              >
              > Well, it was only a matter of time, wasn't it? I would say the
              > combination of mantle color, very long (and black) primary
              > projection, bill and body size in comparison to the Herring all point
              > rather squarely to LBBG, although I must admit to having very little
              > first-hand experience with the species!
              >
              > I guess Josh and I will have to start working harder for the state's
              > first Slaty-backed. ...
              >
              > Great find.
              > Dan Casey
              > Somers
              >

              > --- In MOB-Montana@ yahoogroups. com, "Chuck Carlson" <chuckcmt@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Mobsters
              > > I guess it is the season for gulls finally here at Ft. Peck. We've
              > had a few Thayer's, but that's about it until today. I was checking
              > out 4 or 5 gulls on the concrete pillars just below the powerplant
              > this morning, not expecting anything out of the ordinary, when I
              > noticed this very dark-backed immature gull. After a lot of study and
              > note taking I was able to get a few photos of the bird. I have posted
              > two in my album. In the photo with two gulls the bird on the left is
              > a definite Herring Gull. I am convinced that it is a Lesser Black-
              > backed Gull, but I have been wrong before, and these immatures are
              > not the easiest birds to put a definite ID on.
              > >
              > > I have been envious of Bob's jaeger and other gulls, and Dan's
              > assortment, but I think this at least puts me even.
              > >
              > > I am waiting for comments from anyone on my ID. And I thank you for
              > any you may have.
              > >
              > > Chuck Carlson
              > > chuckcmt@
              > > Ft. Peck MT

            • Sharon Dewart-Hansen
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 7, 2009
                Hail, Hail, the gang was all here. In our search for the LBBG, we met a few of the other birders from the south, Wayne, Gary, Byron, etc. Those of us lucky enough to be in West Bank Park, from early afternoon 'til around 2:30, got to see the Lesser Black-backed Gull. All agreed from the bill, size, etc. that it definitely was a Lesser Black-backed Gull. Then when we all started looking for other Gull possibilities, it flew the coop, as it were. We left going on 3:00 and it had not been re-spotted. Maybe it will be back by 5:00, as it was seen for the last 2 days.

                Thanks Beth, for the initial find.

                Sharon Dewart-Hansen
                Doug Hansen
                Great Falls, MT
              • Michael Schwitters
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 7, 2009
                  Sharon and all,
                  The gull returned to the coop not long afterward, and was seen by
                  several more of us who chased it. I left at 4PM and it was still
                  present in the wind.
                  Mike Schwitters
                  Choteau MT

                  Sharon Dewart-Hansen wrote:

                  > Hail, Hail, the gang was all here. In our search for the LBBG, we met
                  > a few of the other birders from the south, Wayne, Gary, Byron, etc.
                  > Those of us lucky enough to be in West Bank Park, from early afternoon
                  > 'til around 2:30, got to see the Lesser Black-backed Gull. All agreed
                  > from the bill, size, etc. that it definitely was a Lesser Black-backed
                  > Gull. Then when we all started looking for other Gull possibilities,
                  > it flew the coop, as it were. We left going on 3:00 and it had not
                  > been re-spotted. Maybe it will be back by 5:00, as it was seen for the
                  > last 2 days.
                  >
                  > Thanks Beth, for the initial find.
                  >
                  > Sharon Dewart-Hansen
                  > Doug Hansen
                  > Great Falls, MT

                • Arla Eckert
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 7, 2009
                    We lost it after 4 when a kayak went by. More folks came and we looked until
                    after 5. It was fun to see folks from all around the state who all had a
                    common interest. We had lots of great views of the bird. Arla Eckert Great
                    Falls

                    On 11/7/09 6:15 PM, "Michael Schwitters" <schwit@...> wrote:

                    > Sharon and all,
                    > The gull returned to the coop not long afterward, and was seen by
                    > several more of us who chased it. I left at 4PM and it was still
                    > present in the wind.
                    > Mike Schwitters
                    > Choteau MT
                    >

                    > Sharon Dewart-Hansen wrote:
                    >>

                    >> Hail, Hail, the gang was all here. In our search for the LBBG, we met
                    >> a few of the other birders from the south, Wayne, Gary, Byron, etc.
                    >> Those of us lucky enough to be in West Bank Park, from early afternoon
                    >> 'til around 2:30, got to see the Lesser Black-backed Gull. All agreed
                    >> from the bill, size, etc. that it definitely was a Lesser Black-backed
                    >> Gull. Then when we all started looking for other Gull possibilities,
                    >> it flew the coop, as it were. We left going on 3:00 and it had not
                    >> been re-spotted. Maybe it will be back by 5:00, as it was seen for the
                    >> last 2 days.
                    >>
                    >> Thanks Beth, for the initial find.
                    >>
                    >> Sharon Dewart-Hansen
                    >> Doug Hansen
                    >> Great Falls, MT

                  • Gary Swant
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 31, 2010
                      On my way to Westby I spent one day at Ft Peck. On Monday I found a Lesser Black-backed Gull. I called Chuck to see if he could find the bird and confirm my sighting and went on to Westby. I have not called him yet to see if he re-found it. It was an obvious gull among Franklin's, Ring-bills, and California.

                      Birding in Westby has been steady with no large number but so far 11 species of warblers. No new species other than what Ted has posted.

                      Gary Swant
                      Deer Lodge
                    • chuckcmt
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 4

                        This afternoon I found a Lesser Black-backed Gull  on the Missouri River about miles below Ft. Peck Powerplants. Will post photos this evening.

                        Chuck Carlson
                        Ft. Peck